BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling GREYHOUND's off street-loading days in Manhattan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Dang it! Mad

Sorry those angelfire links did not work.....you would have really liked the pics. Sad

Like myself, you'll surely remember what a "big name" GREYHOUND was in those long-lost days; there were TV and radio commercials, magazine ads, and, of course, NEVER a shortage of toy "hounds" for young wannabe bus drivers! (believe it or not, back in the early 60's, you could buy vinyl INFLATABLE Scenicrusers......with FRICTION DRIVE, no less! Shocked

I know, because yours truly played with 'em, many moons ago ( I had two versions....they were neat!) Very Happy

Can't even begin to tell you how many theatrical cartoons and comics of the day payed homage to "The Hound" (in fact, a late 1940's "Little Lulu" cartoon, "The Dog Show Off", features a parade of dogs with thier owners resembling them.....and, as you might expect, a greyhound grandly parades into the ring....with a SILVERSIDES at the other end of the leash!) Shocked

Nice little "plug" for GREYHOUND........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut and paste the links in question. They opened for me. Great photos!
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the TV and radio commercials, Greyhound sponsored the Steve Allen Show on NBC on Sunday evenings. It was a comedy and variety show that ran opposite Ed Sullivan who was on CBS.

The commercials for the show featured the announcer saying "It's Such A Comfort to Take The Bus..." Then there would be a shot of a driver leaning out the driver's window of a bus and finishing with "and Leave The Driving To Us". The Greyhound mascot, "Lady Greyhound", appeared live on the show from time to time. I watched that show just for the bus commercials and was very disappointed when Greyhound dropped its sponsorship of the program after a year or two.

Also, both Greyhound and Trailways advertised regularly in National Geographic Magazine back then. My school had a subscription to that magazine and I pored over them looking for the bus ads. One teacher was very impressed that I read them on a regular basis. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was all about the buses.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo:

Glad you were able to view the pics! Very Happy

Though I've had a computer for 13 years, I must admit that the simple task of "cutting and pasting" has always eluded me (I'm NO computer whiz, trust me!)

Yep, those rare old views trully bring to life a long-lost era in bus travel....it certainly was a rich and diverse one.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy:

Great input!

Thanks!

My sister-in-law's uncle, who also our barber, had a lot of GREYHOUND stock, and he used to save me the magazines they'd send him (this magazine went out to stockholders)

There were always some great bus pictures to check out; I still vividly remember the article about the MC-6.....certainly, it was a departure from all other previous "hounds"!

He always kept his old EMERSON radio tuned to 1010 WINS while in the shop (this was still in the early years of its all-news format); he was always keeping abreast of the latest GREYHOUND quotes!

It was pretty clear, back in those days, that GREYHOUND was a company that truly was much in the public spotlight; today, like rail passenger travel, GREYHOUND is not what it once was.......so much has changed during the past several decades.

Changing demographics, changing travel patterns, and deregulation certainly played major roles in the changing face of long-distance bus travel.

But, while it all lasted, GREYHOUND was indeed the KING of the highways!

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rare bus that deserves at least a brief mention here, even though it is of overseas origin.

The sleek PEGASO Z-403, a coach clearly ahead of its time, has been said to have influenced the SCENICRUISER.

Clearly, it is easy to see this inspiration here.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegaso_Z-403
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lady Greyhound", once America's "Top Dog"! Wink

http://raingoddess.com/akc/ladygreyhound.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Greyhound
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Was VERY fortunate to come across these rare old photos just a few minutes ago.......

"NYO"

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=292111

(courtesy of SubChat)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's a rare bus that deserves at least a brief mention here, even though it is of overseas origin.

The sleek PEGASO Z-403, a coach clearly ahead of its time, has been said to have influenced the SCENICRUISER.

Wow, nice find....never heard of that before....
That said, at about the same time that bus came out, Greyhound was testing the "GX-2 Scenicruiser", the second postwar Greyhound experimental coach (after the "GX-1 Highway Traveler"), that led to the finished PD-4501 Scenicruiser in 1954.

At about that same era, ACF-Brill came out with a deck-and-a-half coach derived from its IC-41. It was a one-of-a-kind prototype initially used by Continental Trailways. Looked a lot like that Pegaso...

Going back to the 1930's, North Coast Lines, later part of Northwestern GL, had a few locally produced conventional, body-on-chassis Kenworth deck-and-a-halfs.....

Last edited by traildriver on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Was VERY fortunate to come across these rare old photos just a few minutes ago.......

"NYO"

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=292111

(courtesy of SubChat)

For some reason they gave the location incorrectly....it was on the block between 7th and 8th Avenues, 33rd and 34th Streets...not Fifth Ave and 35th Street, as labeled.
It was at the approximate location of the tall 'One Penn Plaza' building...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
In addition to the TV and radio commercials, Greyhound sponsored the Steve Allen Show on NBC on Sunday evenings. It was a comedy and variety show that ran opposite Ed Sullivan who was on CBS.

The commercials for the show featured the announcer saying "It's Such A Comfort to Take The Bus..." Then there would be a shot of a driver leaning out the driver's window of a bus and finishing with "and Leave The Driving To Us". The Greyhound mascot, "Lady Greyhound", appeared live on the show from time to time. I watched that show just for the bus commercials and was very disappointed when Greyhound dropped its sponsorship of the program after a year or two.

Also, both Greyhound and Trailways advertised regularly in National Geographic Magazine back then. My school had a subscription to that magazine and I pored over them looking for the bus ads. One teacher was very impressed that I read them on a regular basis. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was all about the buses.

Roy

I used to love it when the smirking Louis Nye used to come on stage and greet Steve Allen: "Hi Ho, Steverino!" Laughing

I remember that show well. Also enjoyed the commercials. National Trailways didn't have the budget for sponsoring a major show like Greyhound did, but they did have a series of TV ads with their "Easiest Travel On Earth" jingle......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

Wow, nice find....never heard of that before....
That said, at about the same time that bus came out, Greyhound was testing the "GX-2 Scenicruiser", the second postwar Greyhound experimental coach (after the "GX-1 Highway Traveler"), that led to the finished PD-4501 Scenicruiser in 1954.

At about that same era, ACF-Brill came out with a deck-and-a-half coach derived from its IC-41. It was a one-of-a-kind prototype initially used by Continental Trailways. Looked a lot like that Pegaso...

Going back to the 1930's, North Coast Lines, later part of Northwestern GL, had a few locally produced conventional, body-on-chassis Kenworth deck-and-a-halfs.....

traildriver:

Glad I was able to provide you with something "new", regarding Scenicruiser inspiration! Wink

The ACF-BRILL coach you mentioned, was quite a stunning vehicle when it first hit the highways; CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS originally had plans to purchase 450 of these unique buses.

Awhile ago, I had seen a photo of this bus after being sold; It operated for some time for a company called "PENN-JERSEY COACHWAYS".

Like the later EAGLES, had CONTINENTAL gone ahead and purchased the 450 coaches of this type, they would have had a coach as much a "signature" to the company as the SCENICRUISER was to GREYHOUND.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Did a little searching, and came across the photo I was referring to in my previous post; here we see the unique deck-and-a-half ACF-BRILL originally operated by CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS, now operating for "PENN-JERSEY COACHWAYS" as a "GOLDEN CRUISER".

Too bad this unique bus wasn't preserved.....

http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/982.jpg

(courtesy Trailways Forever Memories)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rare artist's conception of the proposed "ASTRALINER" (Flxible) for TRAILWAYS; it is quite obvious what other famous highway coach this one resembles..... Rolling Eyes

Ironically, this bus was offered for a time as a large plastic toy, with steerable front wheels; I still have mine, bought for me by my older brother at the old "HOBBY MART" on the main concourse of the PABT, over 50 years ago....... Very Happy

http://www.busnuts.com/_images/flxible_astraliner.jpg

(courtesy busnuts.com)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down page (on the right-hand side) for a number of BECK photos that clearly are SCENICRUISER inspired; also, note the coaches obviously based upon the 4104..........

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/beck/beck.htm

(courtesy of Coachbuilt)

[*Note, too, the buses that more than hint of the YELLOW 743]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: