BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling GREYHOUND's off street-loading days in Manhattan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Recalling GREYHOUND's off street-loading days in Manhattan Reply with quote

All:

Here are several 1950's scenes of SCENICRUISERS and SILVERSIDES (and a 4103) from back in the days when "The Hound" was not yet calling at the cavernous "Port Of Authority" terminal......

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4242

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4243

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4244

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4241

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3333

(courtesty bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a mid-1930's view of the modern GREYHOUND station opposite Penn Station; note that only front-engined coaches are to be seen here.

Like the grand, opulent Penn Station itself, the former GREYHOUND station is only a memory today......

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/142.jpg

(courtesy nyc-architecture.com)
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou so much for providing those links! I remember dragging my mother to the Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal back in 1954, to join the 'around-the-block' line to view the new Greyhound Scenicruiser on display there...
Greyhound remained at those two terminal's until they were 'forced' to move into The Port in 1963....thirteen years after The Port opened....

I have seen several version's of the wide view of the Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal, but the ones of the Capitol terminal (50th Street), are new to me...thanks again for providing it. Wish there were more on that terminal, as I don't remember it as well as the 34th Street terminal,
although IIRC, they filmed a scene there for the movie: "Breakfast At Tiffany's", with Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard seeing off Buddy Ebsen on a Scenicruiser.... I am not certain if that scene was actually shot there, and not somewhere in Hollywoodland....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Thankyou so much for providing those links! I remember dragging my mother to the Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal back in 1954, to join the 'around-the-block' line to view the new Greyhound Scenicruiser on display there...
Greyhound remained at those two terminal's until they were 'forced' to move into The Port in 1963....thirteen years after The Port opened....

I have seen several version's of the wide view of the Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal, but the ones of the Capitol terminal (50th Street), are new to me...thanks again for providing it. Wish there were more on that terminal, as I don't remember it as well as the 34th Street terminal,
although IIRC, they filmed a scene there for the movie: "Breakfast At Tiffany's", with Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard seeing off Buddy Ebsen on a Scenicruiser.... I am not certain if that scene was actually shot there, and not somewhere in Hollywoodland....

traildriver:

Anytime! Very Happy

My pleasure! Wink

As both an avid bus and a rail fan (from a VERY early age!), I used to think it was a great bonus when Mom and I visited the old Penn Station, with the old GREYHOUND depot just across the street! Smile

I well remember the assorted snorts, growls, and thrums of those handsome SCENICRUISERS and the equally-sleek 4104's.......I STILL have a small tin litho friction SCENICRUISER that Mom bought me in a nearby Woolworths........man, I'm REALLY showing my age now! Rolling Eyes

Incidently, the 1963 Doris Day comedy "THAT TOUCH OF MINK", had much location work done in both New York and New Jersey (a few quick taxi scenes on Boulevard East in Weehawken, NJ, were just a few minutes away from where we then lived in Union City)

There was a brief but neat scene in the film where the lovely Audrey Meadows (a dead-ringer for my mother at that time!) sees Miss Day off from the old facility across from Penn Station......you get to hear that distinctive, familiar "BEEP! BEEP!" GMC horns, as well as hear that melodious GM engine sound.......aaaahhh, what memories!

"NYO"
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add my thanks for posting these great photos of days gone by. While consolidating all carriers at the PABT probably made things more convenient for passengers, it must have been great for busfans of that time to have experienced the old off-street terminals.

Thanks again.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
Let me add my thanks for posting these great photos of days gone by. While consolidating all carriers at the PABT probably made things more convenient for passengers, it must have been great for busfans of that time to have experienced the old off-street terminals.

Thanks again.

Roy

Roy:

You are very welcome!

Yes, while the consolidation all carriers at the PABT was most certainly more convenient for the traveling public, it also robbed the bus enthusiasts of that era of some great "street running" action.

I'm grateful that I can remember that great era, even though, at the time, it was living on borrowed time.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Though not showing any GREYHOUND facilities, here are several SCENICRUISER shots from 1961's "Breakfast At Tiffany's"; our good friend traildriver mentioned this classic film in an earlier post, so I thought I'd share this page......

"NYO"

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_43154-GMC-PD-4501.html
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Silversides in these photos, those appear to be PD3751 post-war models. The PDG4101 was a pre-war bus that had a longer first window.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy:

Yep, I noticed that, too.

Just another example of these fascinating little details that made the bus hobby so interesting, back in the day.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sidenote:

If anyone has a copy of Carlton Jackson's "HOUNDS OF THE ROAD", pages 82-83 gives excellent coverage to the last years of GREYHOUND's "off street" facilities in Manhattan.

The Port Authority, as you might expect was quite opposed to the proposed new facility (at a cost of $10 million dollars) which was to be located on 34th St.

At that time (late 1950's), GREYHOUND was operating out of three Manhattan locations:

50th St.

45th St.

34th St.

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This classic scene from 1975 was too good not to include here, for obvious reasons...... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?607

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fond memory......

Not long after the old GREYHOUND terminal across from Penn Station closed, I recall this HUGE "miniature" SCENICRUISER in the PABT, that featured a hallowed-out roof.

I was just a kid then, but this big display bus must have been at least five or six feet in length (or so it seemed to me then)

The hallowed-put roof space was used to hold timetables, and other "take one" articles.

Wouldn't it be great to find out that this magnificent piece still survived, either in a museum or a personal collection? Very Happy

Man, it was COOL! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

I know that for non-AOL users, "angelfire" links can prove tricky at times.

I'm posting this photo link, as I feel it is worth a little trouble to view.

This rare photo, taken in 1931, was snapped at the bus terminal across from Pennsylvania Station.

The bus seen here is a 1929 YELLOW, operated by PENNSYLVANIA RAPID TRANSIT, forerunner to PENNSYLVANIA GREYHOUND LINES........

(photo and info courtesy of Don's Greyhound Bus Memories)

"NYO"

http://www.angelfire.com/al4/eagle382/photo/7c.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another rare view too good not to include here:

In this 1936 photo, we see the terminal during a fairly quiet time; note the new YELLOW in the first loading bay.......

http://www.angelfire.com/al4/eagle382/photo/B8a.jpg

(courtesy of Don's Greyhound Bus Memories)
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
*Sidenote:

If anyone has a copy of Carlton Jackson's "HOUNDS OF THE ROAD", pages 82-83 gives excellent coverage to the last years of GREYHOUND's "off street" facilities in Manhattan.

The Port Authority, as you might expect was quite opposed to the proposed new facility (at a cost of $10 million dollars) which was to be located on 34th St.

At that time (late 1950's), GREYHOUND was operating out of three Manhattan locations:

50th St.

45th St.

34th St.

"NYO"

Indeed, the book does tell the story of how Greyhound was 'forced' to move into The Port....The PA strongly lobbied the City to pass an ordnance that "no new bus terminals could be constructed in the midtwon area East of 8th Avenue". In hindsight, GL should have just built their own west of 8th avenue to comply with the ordnance, IMHO.
The 45th Street location was only for the garage....there was another garage at the time in Long Island City, near the ramp to the Upper Level of the 59th Street Bridge. I recall drivers received the 'princely sum' of seventy-five cents for driving a bus to/from that facility from Manhattan fighting the crosstown and bridge traffic.
In 1968, Greyhound replaced both of those facilities with the spectacular new garage occupying the block bounded by 11th and 12th Avenues, and 40th and 41st Streets. That facility is now the MTA New York City Bus, Michael Quill Depot. The only Greyhound legacy there, is the Greyhound driver's dormitory in the basement, still leased and used by Greyhound, as the MTA has no use for it.

The scene's you linked from "Breakfast At Tiffany's, shows Buddy Ebsen, with the window opened fully. Normally 'stops' would never allow it to open anywhere near that far, but for the shoot, they were removed...
The shot also shows good detail....notice the tiny holes in the bottom of the window frame....there was a little slide device on the inside that passengers could open to admit fresh air, without opening the window.
Unseen, there was also "smoke evacuator" vents in the overhead rack that passenger's could open or close to suck out smoke....

I only got a blank page on those 'angelfire' links, but thanks again, NYO, for all your info....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: