BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CTA' 5103 trackless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buslist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: CTA' 5103 trackless Reply with quote

It's not yet Midnight here so I still have time to post this.

In a little known chapter in the history of the trolley bus on the CTA, the conversion of motor buses was at one time contemplated. After its massive order of coaches from Marmon Harrington, CTA considered converting an additional route to trolley operation (79th?). However they were not keen on an additional order of coaches. An employee in the Equipment Dept was familiar with the PSNJ/GM effort to produce a dual service bus with a standard GM “old look” as the basis, the D900. It was noted that the rear engine configuration of a GM coach was ideal for the placement of a traction motor and associated control equipment. CTA however was not flush with GM diesels to convert. The 35’ jobs were considered to be too small and the 500 series 5502s were only 96” wide. But the 100, 600 series 5103s seemed ideal. To test the concept one of the 600s was briefly set up for electric operation and made several trips on the west and north sides. The experiment was not considered successful and its DD 6-71 was quickly restored. (no photoshop is not involved in any way)

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.81 KB
 Viewed:  13859 Time(s)

image.jpg

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Didn't know that Mr. R took bus photos. This is the first one I've ever seen. I know the name from an extensive bus production list he maintained on the internet several years back.

Thanks for posting.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

There is little doubt that this is the oddest of GM Old Look oddities that I have ever seen!

Many photos exist of GM New Look's rigged for trolley coach service especially north of the border but none of Old Looks other than the special New Jersey Public Service Coordinated Transport's experimental D900 (a 4509).

Regards,

WCA
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks that Buslist is pulling our leg here. I think the trolley poles are from a Marmon parked directly behind that GM. I could be wrong but he did post it on April 1st, didn't he?

Roy
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very astute observation Roy. If you look closely through the windows, you can see some of the pillars of the MH especially through the single window ahead of the rear doors and what looks like the rear doors of the MH through the first window pane behind the rear doors of the GM.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we should all have spotted it immediately if only for the rubber padding that's missing on the 5103's roof which is required as a shock prevention for mechanics as seen on PSNJ #D900 below.

This April Fools joke (if it is) is as good as my Surface right hand drive!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: