BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Babylon Transit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthShore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Babylon Transit Reply with quote

I would believe this bus to be an ex-Steinway Transit, except it appears that it has factory air-conditioning. Steinway's did not have A/C.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Babylon Transit Reply with quote

NorthShore wrote:
I would believe this bus to be an ex-Steinway Transit, except it appears that it has factory air-conditioning. Steinway's did not have A/C.

The color in the photo is not great so its hard without good production list to know the history of the vehicle. Could it have been from Steinway Transit's sister company Queens Transit? They had identical liveries.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't comment about wether Stienway buses had A/C or not, I'm not doubting you NorthShore, I'd like to point out that in the Queens Transit Historical Roster over on the New York City Bus Roster section ripta42 lists Steniway Transit has having 20 1960 GM TDH4517's with the last one being numbered 420. According to ripta42's list those 20 buses are the only ones of that model that either Steinway or Queens Transit were said to have. However no mention was given as to if the buses had A/C's or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shedding some light regarding Babylon #420… This is not an ex-Steinway Transit bus. Steinway’s TDH-4517, serial numbers 340-359 and delivered in 1960 did not have air conditioning.

(In fact, Steinway’s first a/c fishbowls were 2 ex-World’s Fair Greyhound TDH-5303 acquired in 1966; Followed by15 brand new TDH-5304s in 1967 – Queens Transit did not acquire any new TDH-4517s). The original color scheme of the Steinway 4517s was all orange – no cream at all. The scheme was revised later to orange and cream. The orange came above the standee windows. The front end was cream with the exception of the turn signals that had a nice orange curvature. Steinway’s 4517s did have three small ad racks on the side; no rubber fenders, emergency doors; bullet shape side turn signals and Michigan marker lights. (My photos show 410 with and 411 without Michigan markers)

In the picture, it appears that this “420” does not have the NY State driver’s stanchion.

Appearing in the Motor Coach Age issue, December 1973, is the following information. The #420 that went to and operated by MSBA was a TDH-5304 serial 497 (vintage 1964) ex-Hempstead.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Appearing in the Motor Coach Age issue, December 1973, is the following information. The #420 that went to and operated by MSBA was a TDH-5304 serial 497 (vintage 1964) ex-Hempstead.

I'm a bit confused about how the Ex Hempstead #420 fits in. Do you think that the Babylon Transit #420 could be Ex Hempsted #420?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only #420 on the roster for the start of MSBA was the ex-Hempstead TDH-5304. There was no other #420 and no TDH-4517 with air conditioning.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schenck #420 also went to MSBA (as #467), but that was a 5302.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: