BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Grey Lady" (PSNJ) in New York/Newark ASV's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Regarding the thread title, The "Grey Lady" in New York: I wonder whether the intrastate service of the mid-1940's used an orange (or tan) and cream scheme while newer interstate routes used grey. I say this, because my memory of the buses that would meet the 125th Street Ferry at Edgewater and bring crowds uphill to Palisades Amusement Park were not grey, in my memory. (We walked up that hill to save the fare.) As I recall them, these were rather short buses with a high exhaust. They were not all-service vehicles, shown in this photo in downtown Newark.
http://www.trolleystop.com/tracklesstrolley.htm
(Scroll down in that page to see Newark and the color scheme I'm describing.)
Or, it could be that the interstate services got newer buses. I have seen photos of old (1930's) buses on local routes repainted grey.Joe

I love that "All-Service Vehicle" concept. Too bad it didn't expand and continue....
The closest thing to it today that I am aware of, are those neat Neoplan hybrid trolley buses used on the MBTA's "Silver Line"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
N4 Jamaica wrote:
Regarding the thread title, The "Grey Lady" in New York: I wonder whether the intrastate service of the mid-1940's used an orange (or tan) and cream scheme while newer interstate routes used grey. I say this, because my memory of the buses that would meet the 125th Street Ferry at Edgewater and bring crowds uphill to Palisades Amusement Park were not grey, in my memory. (We walked up that hill to save the fare.) As I recall them, these were rather short buses with a high exhaust. They were not all-service vehicles, shown in this photo in downtown Newark.
http://www.trolleystop.com/tracklesstrolley.htm
(Scroll down in that page to see Newark and the color scheme I'm describing.)
Or, it could be that the interstate services got newer buses. I have seen photos of old (1930's) buses on local routes repainted grey.Joe

I love that "All-Service Vehicle" concept. Too bad it didn't expand and continue....
The closest thing to it today that I am aware of, are those neat Neoplan hybrid trolley buses used on the MBTA's "Silver Line"

traildriver:

It is interesting to note, that, in addition to the new ASV's that started service in 1935, PS also rebuilt a number of older front-engined buses into ASV's.

In thier later years, the "modern" ASV's were painted in the new PS postwar grey, but never wore the paint long, as PS pulled the plug on ASV operation in 1948.

A number were shipped to Havana for further service; though tested under wire, they ran as conventional motor buses.

In northern NJ, these unique vehicles were commonplace sights along the streets of Hudson and Essex counties......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Here is an excellent collection of ASV photos.......

"NYO"

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/psct.htm

(courtesy of Tom's Trolleybuses)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Worthy of note here is that, in 1950, two years after the last ASV pulled down its poles, PS experimented with a new generation of ASV, in the form of D900.

This bus, a 1950 TDH-4509, was built to operate as either a diesel or trolley coach.

Tests were conducted at the Bell Street barns in Montclair, then housing subway-surface cars of the #29 line, utilizing special overhead.

At the time, several surface car lines connected with the Newark Subway; there were plans to pave over the subway and replace the old streetcars with modern ASV's.

Under this plan, the ASV's would have only operated under wire within the the Subway itself; once on the street, they would have operated as straight diesels.

One of the reasons that this ambitious plan never came to be was that there was much dispute over who would have funded the paving of the Subway; without fanfare, D900 had its electrical gear removed, and operated for many years as a conventional diesel.

Two photos of this rare bus are seen in the photo collection whose link I posted in the previous post.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this late 1940's scene from PSNJ's Essex Division, we see two "modern" ASV's in the company of one of the older front-engined buses that had been rebuilt into an ASV.

Note that the two newer buses sport the new PSNJ gray......

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_014_newark_bv.htm

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reprized exclusively for this thread;

Pictured below is fleet # D900 – an experimental 1950 GM Model TDH 4509 (ser# 0699) and delivered to Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey in May of that year.

This bus was not your father’s Oldsmobile (so to speak!). The D900 (dubbed by GM as a ‘Reverse All-Service Bus) was a collaboration between engineers and designers at both the factory and PSNJ to fabricate a vehicle which would actually be two independently powered buses within one body.

You can throw your ideas of ‘Hybrid’ or Diesel Electric (of any type) right out the window because when this coach plied a non-electrified route, it operated as a pure TDH having nothing to do with its second source of motive power.

However, when called upon for duty as a trolley bus (in this case to service the abandoned Newark subway system), the power poles were raised to meet the overhead grid and, simply put, a switch was toggled to shut down the Diesel and begin electric motive operation.

The secret of success in the development of the ‘RASB’ was the common drive rear axle which, in this case, sported two independent ‘drive’ bowls (one for electric and the other for Diesel).

The left hand bowl housed a conventional differential assembly while the right hand bowl (experimental) housed a double reduction 90-degree drive without differential and was connected to a large electric motor.

A sliding clutch was used as a means of transferring operation from one bowl to the other.

GM’s cost to PSNJ for its engineering, development and delivery of the D900 prototype was $55,000 but would be reduced to just over $25,000 per unit for an expected delivery of 72 production models;

Some ‘raw facts’ on the D900;

Seating; 43, Overall length; 35’8”, Width; 96”, Height 132”, Weight; 21,740lb, Diesel engine; 6V-71, Transmission; Hydraulic, Electric Motor; GE 1204B1.

Modifications; (as per New Jersey law and PSNJ specification);

Reinforced overhead and side steel panels adjacent to rear door and emergency door instead of aluminum, Wood passenger doors instead of steel, Rubber insulated stanchions, Rear bumper extended to clear overhead pole retrievers.

Because of both political and logistical problems, the D900 never actually saw revenue service as a trolley and was eventually stripped of its electric propulsion equipment and did serve for a number of years as a standard TDH 4509 from PSNJ’s Greenville Garage in Jersey City.

The complete story of the D900 may be found in the September/October 1992 Motor Coach Age.

Photos courtesy of the Motor Bus Society.

Mr. Linsky – Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Thank you for sharing (once again!) this great info (and the photos) on this unique bus.....certainly NOT your average 4509!

One quick correction, if I may:

The Newark Subway was/is not abandoned; today it is now known as the Newark Light Rail (of course, since the old ex-TCRT PCC's were retired in 2001, every scrap of charm has been stripped from this historical line)

From my childhood on, I knew this line on an intimate basis; sure had much to offer the transit buff, back in the day!

What WAS abandoned, however, were the connecting subway-surface car lines; between late 1947 and March of 1952, the #21 (a trunk line and a branch), the #23, and the #29, were all converted over to bus.

Interestingly, there was even some discussion at one time for PS to purchases the fleet of Brilliner trolleys that were then running in Atlantic City, but nothing came of it.

As you and I both know, had ASV's replaced the subway streetcars, they would have only operated under wire in the subway itself; once at street level, they would have run as diesel coaches.

This D900 experiment does give us today a chance to think of what might have been, had PS decided to revive the ASV concept, if only in the Newark Subway............

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to note, that, while ASV's never operated in Newark's City Subway, they DID, in fact, operate in the Cedar St. Subway, with connected with the lower level of PSNJ's massive Newark terminal.

Originally built for streetcars (which last used the Subway in 1938), the facility also served ASV's (until 1947) and, lastly, diesel buses.

The latter operated through the Cedar St. Subway until well into the 1960's.

An intermediate underground stop served two major Newark shopping emporioums, Kresge's and McCrory's.

I remember this unique operation well as a youngster; I used to call the buses that used the tunnel "subway buses"........

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/cedarst.html

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we see YELLOW #9311 (ASV) operating on a Newark line, late 1940's.

Note the new PSNJ grey paint; these unique dual-mode buses wore this scheme for only a short time, before PS abandoned all ASV services.

As you can see, the amount of "hardware" on this vehicle certainly gives it quite a complex appearance......certainly would make for an intricate, eye-catching scale model!

Note the poles are not raised in this view.

As mentioned previously, ASV's ran in the Cedar St. Subway until 1947.......

http://www.trolleybuses.net/psct/htm/usa_h_psct_yellow_9311_newark_bv.htm

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen here in 2004, this remarkably preserved sign in the long-abandoned Cedar St. Subway once alerted PSNJ operators.......

http://www.hopetunnel.org/subway/newark/040508/ncs4.jpg

http://www.hopetunnel.org/subway/newark/040508/ncs3.jpg

(courtesy of hopetunnel.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!
Thanks to both NYO and Mr. 'L' , for all the great info...
I recall the old Public Service Terminal in Newark....besides PS, Continental Trailways (Safeway Trails and American Buslines) were tenant operatior's from that terminal....there may have been some other's as well, before it closed down.

Beside's the D900, was there ever a GMC 'New Look' ASV type experimental?
I recall there were some 'New Look' trolley's
but not sure if any hybrid's...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Great stuff!
Thanks to both NYO and Mr. 'L' , for all the great info...
I recall the old Public Service Terminal in Newark....besides PS, Continental Trailways (Safeway Trails and American Buslines) were tenant operatior's from that terminal....there may have been some other's as well, before it closed down.

Beside's the D900, was there ever a GMC 'New Look' ASV type experimental?
I recall there were some 'New Look' trolley's
but not sure if any hybrid's...

traildriver:

You are most welcome!

Being a lifelong "Jersey Boy" you can bet I have many great memories of PSNJ; and, of course, our good friend Mr. "L" is always at the ready to share still more historical trivia and photos with us here.

You are correct, of course; there were "New Look"/Fishbowl trolley buses, but, as far as I know, these did not have dual-power provisions, like the ASV.

You reminded me of the Fishbowl rail bus experiments many years ago; these interest experimental runs operated at the Branford (Shore Line) Trolley Museum, and also, on the Red Arrow.

Imagine such coaches operating on the Newark Subway, switching from rail to rubber as they left the subway to operate on a street route?

Regarding the old PS terminal in Newark, it was once known as the "Eighth Wonder Of The Traction World"; in later years, it was serving trolleys, ASV's, and motor buses.

Incidently, GREYHOUND still calls at Newark's Penn Station........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine if PSNJ decided to operate these on the City Subway, and its connecting surface lines (had such a concept been practicle at the time of D900, there would have been no need to haggle over the expense involving paving over the Subway)......

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?10980

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?10981

(courtesy nycsubway.org)

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/pw/htm/pw126.htm

(courtesy newdavesrailpix)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND sign at Penn Station, Newark, partially obscured by modern, unispired City Subway sign..................

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?20470

(courtesy of nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading on the Piublic Service Terminal, Newark's version of the PABT......in its prime, this was a true "intermodal" facility.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_Public_Service_Terminal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: