BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The unique Bedford VAL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: The unique Bedford VAL Reply with quote

All:

I had posted these links in my "Vintage British Coaches" thread here, but, as this vintage British coach was so unique, I felt that it should have a thread of its own.

With dual steering axles, this stunning coach bore not the faintest resemblence to anything here in the States.

Here, indeed, was a coach that seemed DESIGNED to turn heads wherever it traveled!

Enjoy.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent collection of photos here showing this magnificent coach......

http://www.flickriver.com/groups/bedfordval/pool/interesting/

http://tbg.150m.com/wwy115g.html

(courtesy of Telford Bus Group and Flickriver)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this vintage 1963 photo, we see a new Bedford VAL awaiting its departure from Victoria Coach Station.

Again, an eye-catching coach that indeed was in a class all its own......

http://www.sct61.org.uk/gallery/vcs/zzbmx296a

(courtesy of John Kaye)
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The unique Bedford VAL Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

I had posted these links in my "Vintage British Coaches" thread here, but, as this vintage British coach was so unique, I felt that it should have a thread of its own.

With dual steering axles, this stunning coach bore not the faintest resemblence to anything here in the States.

Here, indeed, was a coach that seemed DESIGNED to turn heads wherever it traveled!

Enjoy.....

"NYO"

Well we did have those Prevost H5-60's....those had twin front steering axles....down in Mexico there were those Sultana's with similar....

But you're right, 'NYO'....other than that, they were completely different from it, and from each other, as well.......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for the heads-up on those PREVOSTS; I got out my book on PREVOST coaches and found a few pictures; more than likely, as I didn't care for them, I just flipped right by them in the book.

Too modern and boxy for my taste, but I was reminded of the articulated Eagles that CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS once operated (sans twin steering axles).

Could you image if the Bedford VAL had been exported to the States back in the 60's?

Man, I can just see one now, in full 1960's PSNJ regalia, zipping along the NJ Turnpike, just out of the PABT, heading for Atlantic City!

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad ending for a vintage "donor".......

http://tbg.150m.com/news-uro.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timeless classic from "across the pond".......easily one of the most distinctive coaches to ever be built anywhere.....

http://www.sct61.org.uk/gallery/pchnm/zz7999md

(courtesy of John Kaye)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1964 "PLAXTON CONTINENTAL" (Bedford VAL14).......

http://www.sct61.org.uk/gallery/pchnm/zzctu888b

(courtesy John Kaye)
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Thanks for the heads-up on those PREVOSTS; I got out my book on PREVOST coaches and found a few pictures; more than likely, as I didn't care for them, I just flipped right by them in the book.

Too modern and boxy for my taste, but I was reminded of the articulated Eagles that CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS once operated (sans twin steering axles).

Could you image if the Bedford VAL had been exported to the States back in the 60's?

Man, I can just see one now, in full 1960's PSNJ regalia, zipping along the NJ Turnpike, just out of the PABT, heading for Atlantic City!

"NYO"

the early attempts by European coachbuilder's, to enter the North American market were not very successful....
Those 'Super Golden Eagles', that were operated by Continental Trailways, were built in Germany by Kassbohrer-Setra, under contract, as were the rest of the Eagles, until production moved to Belgian companies in 1961. They were based on the 'Galenke' (sp?), pair of articulated coaches, also operated by CTS...one was dubbed the 'Academy Express' (for the new USAFA), and the other, the Fort Carson Express. Both ran from their namesakes near Colorado Springs up to Denver and its Stapleton Field.

I recall Mercedes marketing their stainless steel-clad tourist model O-302's to Gray Line of Boston, and some others in the late sixties. They also sold some transit buses to the Port Authority for airport terminal connection services.
Another entry in those years was Van Hool. Interestingly, Carey Transportation was the US distributor for these nice looking mid-sized coaches.

Those were the only ones that I was aware of back in those years.

Since then, times really have changed....first with the withdrawal from the market by the one-time giant, almost monopolistic, General Motors, suddenly opened the field to many new entrants.

Neoplan took a shot, but failed. As did MAN. Setra, now under Daimler Benz, reentered, and has since been marketed and serviced by MCI.]

Van Hool came back strong, this time distributed and serviced by ABC Bus.

Ikarus was there for a while, as was related NABI.

Volvo bought out Prevost, and now has Prevost selling and servicing Volvo built buses along with Prevost's.

And since the used Leyland DD's were so popular in HopOn, HopOff, sightseeing services, the various operator's have acquired new English Alexander Dennis DD's....These are the most successful British entrants in the US market that I am aware of...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

THANK YOU for taking the time to post so much fascinating bus trivia; you certainly know your stuff, my friend!

Believe it or not, a tin lithographed (from Japan) toy of the articulated EAGLE was offered back in the early 60's; I have the front section in my collection, and hope, someday, to find the trailing section.

When these show up once in awhile on eBay, they are VERY expensive, as you might expect.

Back in the 60's, I had a large plastic (made in Hong Kong) Bedford VAL, from Woolworths; it was friction powered, and featured a detailed interior.....I sure wish I had it today in my collection.....was VERY realistic!

Yes, at one time, long ago, GM was the Almighty Monarch of Bus Manufacturers......who ever thought that, one day, those days would only be a memory?

The Bedford VAL was, without a doubt, a very distinctive coach, even in Great Britain; with its twin steering axles, it certainly wasn't difficult to spot and indentify!

Yet another example of yesterday's commonplace becoming today's rare sight.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting collection of 1960's-era British coach photos; scroll down the page, and check out the Bedford VAL operating for CRAWLEY LUXURY COACHES.

On a sidenote, also note the first photo of an EAST KENT ROAD CAR CO. coach; here, I'm reminded of a Yellow 743 (IMHO) equipped with a much-enlarged windshield.....

http://www.mikesbuspages.com/thecoachingscene.htm

(courtesy of Mike's Bus Pages)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handsome CORGI replica.......

http://www.transport-models.com/picture/number4668.asp
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest:

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=6614
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

In the course of this topic, I found myself thinking of what an American intercity coach would have been like based upon the general concept of the Bedford VAL.

The thought of a twin steering axle, priduction model coach here at home is indeed an interesting one, and certainly would have made for some quite interesting vehicles.

Recalling, now, the awesome (and most unorthodox!) "Victory Liner", a home-built double-deck/bilevel coach built by SANTA FE TRAILWAYS, for the transport of war workers to defense plants.

This bus featured an unusual articulated drive unit up front (basically making this a "trailer bus"); but, like the Bedford VAL, this vehicle had four wheels up front.

Of course, this concept was different in many ways from the Bedford VAL, but it does bring to mind the concept of American coaches with twin steering axles.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos/info on the unique "Victory Liner".......

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/santa-fe-trailways/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: