BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA Bus Operator Killed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: MTA Bus Operator Killed Reply with quote

Sad story:

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/11310493/mta-driver-killed-in-crash-with-stolen-truck-in-greenwich-village?utm_source=MASS+NewsViews+Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MASS140207003
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was mentioned in some news stories here in NY and on other boards, was that the truck was making a delivery to a local bodega and the driver left the motor running and the keys in the ignition. Wonder what legal or moral responsibility he has for the death of Mr. Pena ?
Bill D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers go out to the driver's family.

Bill
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: B/O death Reply with quote

Does anyone know the status of #5299? How bad is the damage?
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who really cares about a hunk of metal when human being and family man died in the accident?

Grow up and have some compassion for fellow human being !

Don't be so immature, you're almost an adult !
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: B/O death Reply with quote

Give me a break, the B/O demise has been talked to death already. Yes, it's very sad since he's the first B/O to bit the dust since the B46 bus stabbing back in 2008, but we need to move on. And for the record, 20 years of age is technically an adult.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until you get some life experience and have a family and grandchildren of your own. Maybe then you'll realize that human life is a little more important than some hunk of metal.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ask what was the state of the bus. Was the frame bent or what due to the truck's impact? I never said anything about it being more important then the crash victims.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should have started another thread about the condition of the bus and left this thread as a condolence card to Mr. Pena
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
What was mentioned in some news stories here in NY and on other boards, was that the truck was making a delivery to a local bodega and the driver left the motor running and the keys in the ignition. Wonder what legal or moral responsibility he has for the death of Mr. Pena ?

I hope not, although I'm sure the lawyers for the victims will come after him and his employer.

I look at it this way - suppose my kid leaves a baseball bat in yard one day after playing with it instead of putting it away. Some delinquent comes along and steals it and uses the bat to smash in someone's head. Should I be responsible if another person steals my property and uses it to commit another crime?
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good point. Personally, I don't think the trucker driver should face jail time. Instead, just hit him with a heavy fine and have him do community service work.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
That's a really good point. Personally, I don't think the trucker driver should face jail time. Instead, just hit him with a heavy fine and have him do community service work.

Not being a lawyer I don't know if the truck driver has any legal responsibilities to Mr. Pena. If yes, then as R62CNG suggests, the full weight of the law should be thrown at him.

If I was his boss, he'd be toast for not safeguarding the company's assets by not taking the keys with him
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad and tragic story. My condolences to Mr. Pena's family and friends.

As far as who all is responsible-
I found a credit card in a parking lot one day. I called the number on the back of the card and reported it found on the ground and asked where can I return it to a bank branch. I was told they notified the card holder and cancelled the card while they had me on hold. Asked again what to do with the card, I was told throw it out. This did not make me a thief as I had somebody's credit card.

Nobody told the thief to take the truck, so it will all come down on him. This guy decided to help himself as it was easy. I doubt the truck would have been stolen if the key was in the ignition and the engine not running, as he would most likely not have known.

Unless it comes out that the truck driver and the truck thief were working together, I think the driver is in the clear, as far as the law goes except maybe a few traffic summonses, a jury for a lawsuit is another story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: