BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Capital Convoy Grumman Bailout" (Remember?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: mber seeing an ex-hound ne Reply with quote

I remember seeing an ex-hound back in the day near Todt Hill Road and Victory Blvd. IIRC they were only used on express routes like the ex-hound in the picture.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: mber seeing an ex-hound ne Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I remember seeing an ex-hound back in the day near Todt Hill Road and Victory Blvd. IIRC they were only used on express routes like the ex-hound in the picture.

Hart Bus:

After seeing the photo I was lucky enough to find a little earlier, I now remember seeing those ex-Hounds, but I never paid that much attention to them; I guess I was too busy eyeing the WAMATA Fishbowls and New Looks.

Once again, I tip my hat to those forward-seeking bus enthusiasts who always seemed to be out there, camera in hand.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanished New York (1981)

If only those soaring Twin Towers seen here across the East River still stood today; like the bus itself, those iconic Towers are now but a memory......even the once-familiar Bell System insignia has since vanished into history.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?267

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.irg)
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Waiting for passengers......and a less-than-successful future......

However, they had a very successful future at NJT. Somebody blamed the manufacturing instead of the deferred maintenance for a fire that happened, and somebody at NYCTA jumped the "Gunn" and pulled them from service. Several NYC private operator's had their Grumman's for 12 years.

Be it as it may, 1984's events made for a colorful fleet on the streets of NYC.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Waiting for passengers......and a less-than-successful future......

However, they had a very successful future at NJT. Somebody blamed the manufacturing instead of the deferred maintenance for a fire that happened, and somebody at NYCTA jumped the "Gunn" and pulled them from service. Several NYC private operator's had their Grumman's for 12 years.

Be it as it may, 1984's events made for a colorful fleet on the streets of NYC.

I do agree on this point!

I rode them, often as part of commute into the city, for many years.

When the last ones were retired some years ago, you could feel that it was certainly the end of an era.

Indeed, the borrowed WAMATA buses really made for quite a show on the streets of Gotham.......

"NYO"
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we must remember while the Grumman name took the hit for this debacle, Rohr Industries actually set up this model. When Rohr sold the line to Grumman the 870 was passed off as tested and production ready.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
And we must remember while the Grumman name took the hit for this debacle, Rohr Industries actually set up this model. When Rohr sold the line to Grumman the 870 was passed off as tested and production ready.

GBL Rebel:

Scroll down page to third entry......

"NYO"

http://www.coachinfo.com/AllAboutBuses/Flx_Info.html
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanished New York (1981)

If only those soaring Twin Towers seen here across the East River still stood today; like the bus itself, those iconic Towers are now but a memory......even the once-familiar Bell System insignia has since vanished into history.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?267

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.irg)

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629,

I have mixed emotions about the photo seen below;

On the one hand the Flxible 870's were really nice looking and good running coaches and it's a shame that their lives with the MTA ended the way they did but the consolation is that wherever the buses wound up they served well for many years.

On the other hand, seeing the Twin Towers is wrenching to me not only because I watched them being built from the foundations up but because so many souls were lost in the tragedy including Neil Levin who was the Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and who was a close friend of mine.

The antique building in the background, which now serves as a The Fulton Ferry Museum, was originally built as a fire boat house back in the 1800's and the unseen River Cafe almost under the famed Brooklyn Bridge across the way is frequented by this writer when in the city.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

The Twin Towers was where I was when the first plane hit that fateful Tuesday morning in 2001 (I was in the Borders book store at ground level, as I was most mornings before I had tgo report to work);thankfully, I am still here today to write these words.

Far too many innocent people perished on that horrific day.

Most days, for nearly 25 years (unless I was commuting via the vintage subway cars then in operation), I passed through the WTC twice a day, to and from the PATH tubes.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's, I watched the Towers slowly rise above the Hudson, like a massive Erector set, from my late brother's picture window in Union City.

Way back when, no one could have possibly seen what the future held for the Towers.......and for all Americans....., some 40-odd years later.

The first FLEXIES (Grummans/Metros) I ever rode on were those purchased by NJT; I well recall being snowbound aboard one between Hoboken and the end of the line (Route #21/#181) on a late Friday, during a nasty April blizzard in April, 1983.

It took me 6 1/2 hours to get home, via a bus trip that usually took 45 minutes, tops, on a normal day!

Though I wasn't a huge fan of them then (I still chose an ex-PSNJ/TNJ Fishbowl on the line when I could) I thought that they had sort of an interesting "Euro" look to them.

I will admit that it was a bit of a novelty to ride one for the first time!

As I wrote elsewhere here, it was much later in thier service lives that I really started to "warm up" to these now-classic buses......and yes, I DO miss them!

Where have all the years gone......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the Flxibles leased from WMATA had already been leased to SEPTA in 1979-80 to handle their shortage.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
However, they had a very successful future at NJT.

Also in Cincinnati, Springfield, MA, and elsewhere.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new era in urban transit...... (undated view of new [albiet grimy] GRUMMAN at the Triboro garage)

The big "gas guzzlers" seen parked here serve to further date this now-nostalgic scene (the tiny VW Beetle is indeed outnumbered!)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2248

(courtesy of bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIBORO #124......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1394

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wintry scene from 1982, with MABSTOA #PA132 front and center......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1260

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: mber seeing an ex-hound ne Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Speaking of the ex hounds I was in DC on a overnight trip and went to the hounds garage for fuel etc and they had a bunch of the ones that just came back from nyc. Talking with the shop guys they were getting them ready to be sold. He said they were in rough shape (used and abused) And needed a lot of work on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: