BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change NEEDED in Suffolk, waited 3 hours & gave up S-92

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Change NEEDED in Suffolk, waited 3 hours & gave up S-92 Reply with quote

Suffolk Transit doesn't have a great schedule but most of the routes are dependable.
There is one HUGE exception to that, the S92 bus route. The S92 is a very long route, running from Greenport/Orient Point to East Hampton.
If ran properly, it would still be hard to keep to the schedule, with all the traffic and all. Yesterday was an interesting day in Hampton Bays, well, interesting because I spend the better half of Monday waiting at the bus stop on Montauk Hwy right around the HB LIRR station.
Traffic was pretty light Monday actually, so I figured the S92 would be on time or not too late.
Going the 8:55am out of County Center left right on schedule.
Got to the bus stop at 1:20pm to go back, I figured I'd have "plenty of time" to catch the S62 at 3pm in Riverhead. If not I'd catch the S58 at 3:40pm.
Well the bus was supposed to come at 1:30pm, but that came and went with no bus. At 2:30pm a friendly woman joins me at the bus stop and tells me how much worse the S92 has gotten. Apparently Sunrise Coach exists in name only, Hampton Jitney has taken ownership of the Sunrise Coach transit division, the yard is still in Greenport but Hampton Jitney runs things now. She knew the owner of Sunrise so I trust that I am getting factual information. It would surely explain why the S92 has gone from bad to worse. She said there are alot of breakdowns, almost daily. That would explain the missing buses. On Saturday I was waiting an hour for the S92 to Hampton Bays and 90 minutes going back. And going back it was jammed up, I had to squeeze in back of the white line and I barely fit.
Anyway, I figured the 2:30pm bus would show up yesterday, but no dice there either. By 3:30pm I realized I wasn't gonna make the S58 either, and that if the S92 came it would be crush loaded. (3 busloads of people on ONE bus).
I took the 3:44pm train to Mastic Shirley and got the S71 back to up to the PJ branch.
Anyway, I found an operation much worse than LI Bus could ever stoop to. Suffolk Transit's S92 bus route, run by Hampton Jitney! As for why it has gotten worse, I think HJ puts all their $$ into their overpriced snob coaches (HJ costs $35 one way....that's more than double the off peak LIRR fare!), and none of it goes toward maintaining the transit fleet.
On Saturday I saw 5 HJ coaches pass going west before the S92 came. Shows you who HJ really cares about. If Hampton Jitney doesn't want to run the S92 and the other east end suffolk routes, they should let someone else get the contract, like CBS Lines, Intercounty, or Suffolk Bus.
I know it's a radical idea but I'd like to see Hampton Jitney and perhaps Suffolk Transit as well merged into MTA Bus.
MTA Bus could be the contract carrier for Suffolk, and the buses would accept metrocards with the fare of $2.00.
Hampton Jitney would be merged into an extended express route system, and would make a few more stops so it could be used for intra-island travel.
Fare from NYC would be $16 one way, within Long Island (Nassau-Suffolk) one way fare would be $8. Fare would be tickets bought at local merchants or vending machines. Fare could also be paid on board, but with a $5 extra charge.
Hampton Jitney would be renamed MTA Long Island Express.
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the S92 is getting REALLY BAD NOW?

Well I hope such a takeover happens, since the only time I've had bad apples with ST is the S54 and the S33 on Friday nights.....they're infamous for traffic nightmares!

Rarely do I ever miss a connection with these people...but HJ's screwing up, eh?

Time for MTA to take 'em over and slap 'em with Metrocard.

O yeah, FLEET EXPANSION! How does one company operate under 200 buses for a county SO BIG with NO sunday service?

I'd say expand the damn thing ten-fold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Sad that John from Westbury, aka Qtrain-7, aka R40 Slant on the B is now on this board so that we can be "bored" to death with his constant complaints and non-existent complients.

GET A JOB SO YOU WON'T HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO BITCH AND MOAN HOW WE HARD WORKING TAXPAYERS DON'T SUPPORT YOU IN THE STYLE YOU'RE ACCUSTOMED TO !!!!!!!!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, John's complaint with the S92 service seems legitimate. Regardless of whether it is or not, your reaction is completely unwarranted. We're here to talk transit, not to launch personal attacks.
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Al, John's complaint with the S92 service seems legitimate. Regardless of whether it is or not, your reaction is completely unwarranted. We're here to talk transit, not to launch personal attacks.

Damn dude, you took the thought out of my head....

And BTW, his complaints are 100,000% LEGIT.

The transit service in LI is getting to a point in which it could all fold in a matter of months!

Somebody in the NY Legislature better do something or else....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen:

First let me apologize for being so harsh on John. I probably went overboard, but my frustration remains the same.

For the past 5+ years John has always posted negative things about mass transit in general. Some of the posts such as this one are probably legitimate. However his posts are 90 % (or more) negative. He never, ever puts up a good word when it is deserved.

His posts make it seem like he is the character in the Superman comics, Joe Something or Other, who always has the black cloud over him every time he gets on a bus or subway. NO ONE can be that unlucky, except John.

Many of you know the fairytale about the boy who cried "wolf". After a while the townspeople got tired of responding for his cries for help. When an emergency did occur, he was left all by himself. That in a nutshell is how I feel about John's posts. AFter awhile, you know there all going to be negative, so why believe that he has a valid complaint, rather than another whiney post from him.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you never noticed my positive posts, maybe because you don't want to see them. I often praised CBS Lines as the best Suffolk County bus contractor, and I still do.
If they were running the S92 I can bet you wouldn't be waiting 3 hours for a bus!
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
Funny you never noticed my positive posts, maybe because you don't want to see them. I often praised CBS Lines as the best Suffolk County bus contractor, and I still do.
If they were running the S92 I can bet you wouldn't be waiting 3 hours for a bus!

Too bad the only thing CBS can't do is to eliminate the smell of woods.... Laughing

True or not?
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have noticed that I twice published trip reports as "Riding the ...," figuring that someone might be interested in a description of the trip. Although I have never ridden the S92, I appreciate the descriptions. Thanks.
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the biggest problem with ST and HJ, they actually ENCOURAGE you to drive and avoid all forms of non-LIRR public transportation.

You'd be better off walking! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: