BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Busfan Don'ts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr RT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Busfan Don'ts Reply with quote

1. Avoid heavy dose of perfume
2. Don't shave
3. Don't exhibit nervousnes, hesitation, muttering
4. Don't make it obvious that you're avoiding security personnel
5. Don't make notes on maps or blueprints
6. Don't take photos of depots or other facilities
7. Be careful how you dress (unseasonable, conspicuous, bulky cloths)
8. Watch how you walk (awkward attempts to blend in with crowd)
9. Stop touching yourself (neverous handling of cloths)
10. Profuse sweating, slow paced walking while surveying area
11. Don't ask about number of passengers, staff
12. Don't ask when the busiest day/time is
13. Don't ask about parking near facility (right next to guard booth)
14. Don't ask about number of security officiers
15. Don't ask about facility alarm systems
16. Don't ask how long it takes fire/police to respond

This list was published in one of the industry trade magazines.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, that list from a trade magazine tells you exactly what many inside the industry think of our hobby. We're all apparently just a bunch of strange, smelly weirdos who shuffle suspiciously around bus facilities. I've met a few fans over the years who somewhat fit these stereotypes, but most bus fans I know wouldn't act this way.

On the other hand, the list says nothing about photography along public streets or at stations, so maybe they recognize that there's nothing unusual about doing so.
kevlaf983

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Busfan Don'ts Reply with quote

Mr RT wrote:

9. Stop touching yourself (neverous handling of cloths) Laughing Razz
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, the article in question is "Suicide Bombers: Are You a Target?" from the April, 2007 issue of Metro. It makes no mention of bus hobbyists; rather, the list Mr. T paraphrased is a list of "Suicide Bomber Behavior Indicators," compiled from interviews with witnesses of past suicide bombings. While I think much of the list and the article it accompanies is simplistic and fear-mongering (try this - "Some terrorist and suicide attacks are linked to specific dates that are important to the group's cause. Virtually every day of the year is linked to a date that has significant meaning for some group."), it's valuable for us as hobbyists to know that some of our mannerisms might be confused with stereotypical terrorist behavior.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the actual article, so I wasn't aware it actually did not specify bus fans. I agree that fans acting strange can and probably will raise suspicions. I don't condone 'guerilla photography' - it's much better to be open about your intentions and answer the occasional questions than to sneak around.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find it in their online edition, buthere's a scan of it.
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
... it's much better to be open about your intentions and answer the occasional questions than to sneak around.

I have also found this approach to be effective. It seems that most people who have questioned me as to what I was doing photographing transit vehicles and / or facilities did so out of curiosity. Usually they just say "have a nice day" and go about their business, but I've also had a police officer point out good photo locations to me, and a transit supervisor allow me unattended access to the inside of a bus.

Being in the business, occasionally bus fans show up at our facility. Our management recognizes them for what they are, and try to accommodate them.

Bill
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also found that being open about what I'm doing, and even asking permission from the supervisor or guard on duty, not only ensures that I can go about my business without being harassed, but can also get me an invitation into or even a guided tour of the facility.
Mr RT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the article was a little stupid & the list not something you would want to put in print if you realy want to catch a terrorist.

The bad part is that many of the items on the list are typical behavor of a "Foamer". I consider myself a railfan vs. a foamer.
e.g. yesterday three of us were working on a local trolley line (track & overhead line work), but at the end of the day we took a shamless joy ride in a Redbird that they have.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a long time ago that many transit employees don't distinguish between foamers and the rest of us.
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Sadly, that list from a trade magazine tells you exactly what many inside the industry think of our hobby. We're all apparently just a bunch of strange, smelly weirdos who shuffle suspiciously around bus facilities. I've met a few fans over the years who somewhat fit these stereotypes, but most bus fans I know wouldn't act this way.
The transportation enthusiast community, usually a highly observant and detail oriented group of people, truly is in a unique position to help thwart terrorist activities. That there are some eccentrics in this group is undeniable, but the moderate members of this community can help reach out to build awareness and sensitivity. Admittedly, the railfan community has been around longer and is more prominently recognized. The bus community is newer, and perhaps therefore not as well known. This hobby clearly is growing, however: just look at the number of offerings on eBay under the heading titled "Collectibles/Transportation/Buses & Taxis".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: