BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTAB Planning HEV-Diesel Conversions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: MTAB Planning HEV-Diesel Conversions? Reply with quote

I had read on some other bus forum that MTAB was planning to convert Orion VII HEV OG's to clean diesel power.
If this item is true, it certainly is a very interesting turn of events.
Apparently, the higher costs of HEV's are more justified on low speed routes in congested boroughs such as Manhattan and Brooklyn, but not on higher speed routes in Queens.
I recall that early HEV reports showed much of their cost savings were derived from lower foundation brake relining costs as compared with CNG's and diesels. Remember that when the HEV's first rolled out they were assigned to MV and MCH, depots supporting north-south Manhattan routes primarily operating in very slow, dense Manhattan traffic (where brakes are used very, very much).
I didn't get the impression that DOB was planning any similar move, at least not right away, but you have to believe they might consider following MTAB if this experiment proves successful.
For example, if this cost analysis is accurate, it probably would be hard to justify assignment of many HEV's to much of the SI Division. Interestingly, CAS has a fleet of Orion VII EPA10 3G's, but I don't think they have any HEV's anymore.
This must be a pretty expensive conversion program; it makes you wonder about how MTA tests new equipment prior to procurement of large numbers of new buses. Perhaps this is why recent practice has been to buy 90-bus "trial fleets" (e.g. Prevost X3-45s,NF Excelsiors, Nova LFSs, Orion VII EPA 10 3Gs).
What do you folks think about this topic?
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think this is a very pricey venture say the least. I mean, they also plan to repower the 2009 and 2010 Orion VII NG hybrids at MTA bus. Why not just send them over to NYCT in exchange for 105 more 2006-2007 Orion VII OG hybrids?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
Personally, I think this is a very pricey venture say the least. I mean, they also plan to repower the 2009 and 2010 Orion VII NG hybrids at MTA bus. Why not just send them over to NYCT in exchange for 105 more 2006-2007 Orion VII OG hybrids?

It doesn't work that way - those buses were purchased with Federal funds for the MTA Bus routes, so they cannot just be traded to NYCT for older buses.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

It doesn't work that way - those buses were purchased with Federal funds for the MTA Bus routes, so they cannot just be traded to NYCT for older buses.

But the branches are suppose to merge within the next 5 years or so. What then?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

But the branches are suppose to merge within the next 5 years or so. What then?

They are? I have not read anything official about a NYCTA/MTA Bus merger.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to other sources, this is suppose to happen around the 2017-2020 timeframe, so this could be one of the last time that MTA bus company gets new buses, because at that, it's all NYCT form there.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those 'other sources' bus enthusiasts? Until official documentation starts appearing in the MTA board meeting minutes or in the media, then it's likely just rumors and is unlikely to go beyond the current sharing of NYCT Department of Buses and MTA Bus management. A true merger will be a major issue with the city because of the funding arrangements involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: