BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buenos Aires: a question about Jorge Bergoglio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Buenos Aires: a question about Jorge Bergoglio Reply with quote

Various sources before the Conclave reported that Jorge Bergoglio regularly rode public buses in his city of Buenos Aires. Can anyone fill in with more information? From what I have read, not too many Catholic bishops ride local transit.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica,

As long as you brought up the subject, I'd like to congratulate (if that would be a proper word) our Latino friends and colleagues on the election of Pope Francis I giving them and the Americas such a prestigious honor.

Even as a Jew, I have to admit that you can't get much closer to God than the Pope and even as a Jew I found the entire process to be inspirational.

Apparently, Pope Francis is a people person and his down to earth feelings have been well documented by his persistence in riding the bus to work along with his flock!

Best wishes to him.

Mr. 'L'
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky, I appreciate your words.
I note that his father at one time (in Italy? in Argentina?) was a railway worker.
El Diario Popular's website has a photo of the Buenos Aires Cathedral with a route 146 bus passing in front, the bus marked as wheel-chair accessible. I have no idea whether the system is public or private. I also found a reference that worded the archbishop's travel habits a bit differently, as "He has traveled by public bus," or something like that. I'll be watching for other hints! (To me, it is important that a bishop not behave like a prince or CEO of a well-capitalized corporation.)
The photo link is
http://www.diariopopular.com.ar/notas/149651-fieles-irrumpen-catedral-portena-gritando-viva-el-papa
Joe
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One article I read mentioned that when Bergoglio became cardinal, he ended the practice of having a chauffeured limousine at his disposal and continued to use public transportation. He would dress in an ordinary priest's outfit in order to blend in. This is all consistent with his reputation as being an advocate for the poor and a commitment to social justice. I wish him good health and much success as Pope Francis.

JD
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NY Daily News website has a snapshot of Jorge Bergoglio in a longitudinal seat of a transit bus, but the window reflection does not show the photographer. Make and model yet unknown, nor whether it's in Buenos Aires or Rome. Probably not a Mack.
Link, scroll down to second photo:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/pope-francis-humble-affable-servant-article-1.1288163
----
Joe McMahon
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it reported on railfan sites that he's a railfan and on busfan sites that he's a busfan. Actual news reports say he rides public transportation (as if that's newsworthy!)

I suppose if riding transit makes one a fan, we have the best patronized hobby in the world!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Everywhere Else All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: