BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Looks on 42nd Street

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hobbyist Trips, Events, Outings, & Meetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catfish 44

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Old Looks on 42nd Street Reply with quote

Try to get out this season to 42nd street and ride an old look. They run weather permitting weekdays for three round trips.
Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find information on the MTA web site, but came up empty. Do you have a link to any additional information, schedules, etc.? Thank you.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the press release with approximate schedules - http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=897

MTA's Vintage Bus Fleet to Hit the Road Again

If you're a lover of the city's surface transportation history or just looking to take a ride back in time, come on over to 42nd Street starting this Monday as the MTA continues its holiday tradition of placing into service units from its historic bus fleet.

"Putting these buses back out on the street at this time of year is a great way to highlight the history of bus transportation in New York City," said Darryl Irick, President of MTA Bus/SVP of MTA Bus. "I began my career here as a bus operator and when you ride these buses it's easy to see how far we have come in the areas of delivering service to our customers and improving conditions for the men and women who operate and maintain today's vehicles."

This season's vintage fleet ranges from 1949 to 1968 and represents models that served New Yorkers from 1949 through 1984. A Mack bus will hit the road as well as a 1956 General Motors bus that, if it could talk, would boast of being the first air-conditioned bus to operate in New York City. Staten Islanders will get a special treat riding one of the first Staten Island express buses. A nice bus for the day, but it's a far cry from our modern MCI and Prevost coaches in terms of comfort and efficiency.

All of these vintage buses will operate along the M42 (42nd Street Crosstown) Monday through Friday, departing from 42nd Street and 12th Avenue at 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and again in the afternoon at 2:30 p.m. The fare is $2.25 in cash or swipe a MetroCard, just like our more modern, but far less interesting buses.

Aside from the in-service buses, a static display will be on view between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. at 6th Avenue and 35th Street and 14th Street at Union Square. Buses will be parked at these locations for the viewing and picture-taking pleasure of New Yorkers who rode them and New Yorkers too young to remember them.

It is important to note that the vintage service depends on equipment availability and weather conditions. Hey, you don't run as fast as you used to. Would you really want us to bring these beauties out in the rain or snow?
Hankg42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, sir!

Happy Holidays!
Hankg42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a walk up to 42nd Street at lunch time today (I work on 34th) and saw both 9098 and 2969. They were passing each other at 8th Ave. They sounded great! I wish 6259 (Mack C-49DT) was out and about as well. I'd love another ride on that old beauty. I hope they are still running next week, I didn't have time today for a ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hobbyist Trips, Events, Outings, & Meetings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: