BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'GREEN BUS LINES, INC. (NY) MEMORABILIA'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: 'GREEN BUS LINES, INC. (NY) MEMORABILIA' Reply with quote

Most small pieces of memorabilia from my Alma Mater - Green Bus Lines - came in the form of the usual tie clips, hat badges and shoulder patches but did you know that the company was among very few if any in the New York area that issued tokens?

I discovered this fact years ago when I worked one summer as a file clerk in the then brand new Rockaway Boulevard Garage (now JFK Depot) and found a draw full in a desk that I was assigned to use (of course, I grabbed a couple hoping that I could make cuff links out of them but they were slightly too large).

The tokens (a photo of one below) made from solid brass had a value of five cents and registered as revenue on the token counter of the Johnson Model 'D' fare boxes and were used by the company between 1936 and 1941 when brass became vital to the war effort.

Of note on the specimen is the adopted 'GBL' logo that also appeared over the front entrance to the company's former garage in Cornell Park as well as on all corporate documents.

Photo is a facsimile of the tokens owned by this writer.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few tokens that were used in and around the NYC area. I collect tokens and am a member of the American Vecturist Association. The following listing are from the Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of Transportation Tokens. I'm only listing tokens used for buses and does not include railroads, subways or streetcars.

Year shown is the first year of issue.

Here is a list of the ones I have in my collection:

Bornscheuer Bus Co. (Copiague) 1983
Bay Park Bus Line Inc. (East Rockaway) 1945 - what's interesting is that male and females had their own tokens to use.
Suffolk County Bus (Hauppauge) 1978
Jerusalem Ave. Bus Lines Inc. (Hempstead) 1945
Long Beach Bus Co. Inc. - 1929
East Side Omnibus Corporation (NYC) 1933
Avenue B & East Broadway Trans. Co. (NYC) 1934
Westchester St. Transp. Co. Inc. (NYC)
NYCTA - 1953
Jamaica Buses (Queens) 1933
Green Bus Lines (Queens) 1937
Airline Connection Bus (Queens) 1976
Rockville Centre Bus Corp. - 1946
Westchester County Transportation (White Plains) 1974
Club Transp. Corp. (Yonkers) 1946

The following tokens exist, but are not in my collection:

Hendrickson Bus Co. (Bayville) 1934
Eaton's Bus Service (Glen Cove) 1927
Nassau Bus Lines Inc. (Hewlett) 1940
Huntington Coach Corporation (Huntington) 1939
Stage Coach Lines (Wantagh) 1967
Island Transit System - 1968
Brooklyn Bus Corporation - 1938
Brooklyn & Queens Transit Corporation - 1929
Durkee & Co. Omnibus (NYC) rare - early 1900's
Comprehensive Omnibus Corporation (NYC) 1935
Kings Coach Company (Brooklyn) 1935
Rauchwerger Bus Line (Flushing) 1926
North Shore Bus Co. Inc. (Queens) 1930
Triboro Coach Corp. (Queens) 1936
Steinway Transit Corp. (Queens) 1976
L.C.B. Jr. W.P. Pleasantville Bus Line (White Plains) 1943
Yonkers Bus Inc. (Yonkers) 1948
Bernacchia Bros. (Yonkers) 1948

If anyone wishes to see a photo of any token listed in my collection, feel free to let me know and I'll submit a scan.

Frankie
quickdriver27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: For Frankie Reply with quote

Would love to see the scans of the other company tokens. I also have a collection of only NYC Transit Tokens and some others so would love to see the pix.
quickdriver27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: For Frankie Reply with quote

Would love to see the scans of the other company tokens. I also have a collection of only NYC Transit Tokens and some others so would love to see the pix.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quickdriver27,

Welcome aboard here at BusTalk - we look forward to your valued contributions.

About the only tokens that I could come up with for New York City area based operators this quickly were for Triboro Coach Corporation (two styles), Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line, Brooklyn Bus Corporation, Jamaica Buses, Comprehensive Omnibus and East Side Omnibus respectively seen below.

You may find others on eBay (Bus Tokens).

Many regards,

Mr. 'L'

quickdriver27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr L. great shots of the tokens. Couple I have seen but 4 I never saw. thanks again.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickdriver27:

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you aboard.

Here's some more tokens from my collection to supplement the ones from Mr. L.

Regarding the Male/Female tokens, contrary to what one might think, the gender identification was to prevent the boys from giving them to the girls and vice-versa. These tokens were used for the return portion of a round trip to the beach.

Frankie

James Monaco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Tokens Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
There are quite a few tokens that were used in and around the NYC area. I collect tokens and am a member of the American Vecturist Association. The following listing are from the Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of Transportation Tokens. I'm only listing tokens used for buses and does not include railroads, subways or streetcars.

Year shown is the first year of issue.

Here is a list of the ones I have in my collection:

Bornscheuer Bus Co. (Copiague) 1983
Bay Park Bus Line Inc. (East Rockaway) 1945 - what's interesting is that male and females had their own tokens to use.
Suffolk County Bus (Hauppauge) 1978
Jerusalem Ave. Bus Lines Inc. (Hempstead) 1945
Long Beach Bus Co. Inc. - 1929
East Side Omnibus Corporation (NYC) 1933
Avenue B & East Broadway Trans. Co. (NYC) 1934
Westchester St. Transp. Co. Inc. (NYC)
NYCTA - 1953
Jamaica Buses (Queens) 1933
Green Bus Lines (Queens) 1937
Airline Connection Bus (Queens) 1976
Rockville Centre Bus Corp. - 1946
Westchester County Transportation (White Plains) 1974
Club Transp. Corp. (Yonkers) 1946

The following tokens exist, but are not in my collection:

Hendrickson Bus Co. (Bayville) 1934
Eaton's Bus Service (Glen Cove) 1927
Nassau Bus Lines Inc. (Hewlett) 1940
Huntington Coach Corporation (Huntington) 1939
Stage Coach Lines (Wantagh) 1967
Island Transit System - 1968
Brooklyn Bus Corporation - 1938
Brooklyn & Queens Transit Corporation - 1929
Durkee & Co. Omnibus (NYC) rare - early 1900's
Comprehensive Omnibus Corporation (NYC) 1935
Kings Coach Company (Brooklyn) 1935
Rauchwerger Bus Line (Flushing) 1926
North Shore Bus Co. Inc. (Queens) 1930
Triboro Coach Corp. (Queens) 1936
Steinway Transit Corp. (Queens) 1976
L.C.B. Jr. W.P. Pleasantville Bus Line (White Plains) 1943
Yonkers Bus Inc. (Yonkers) 1948
Bernacchia Bros. (Yonkers) 1948

If anyone wishes to see a photo of any token listed in my collection, feel free to let me know and I'll submit a scan.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is apparent that numbers of students who attended Brooklyn Technical High School in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn years ago commuted from southwestern Queens and enough so that Green Bus Lines was awarded a contract by the Board of Education as the carrier.

Of course, the service was rendered far before my time with the company as can be seen by the early 1939 eight trip ticket below and its discovery surprised me because I knew of no Green Line service that penetrated so deeply into Brooklyn.

So it's not only a great piece of Green Line memorabilia but it also adds another page to the story of the company.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some interesting transfers circa 1940's representing the then three lines that serviced the Rockaway division to add to our Green Bus Lines memorabilia page.

As a child attending summer day camp in the early forties at Ostend Beach in Far Rockaway, I remember seeing the company's 1933 Macks at layover on Beach 19th. Street just off what was then Seagirt Avenue on the Q22A Crosstown line (see # 441 shopping in town for customer groceries and signed for Bayswater in lower frame).

Beach 19th. and Seagirt was a busy intersection for buses because it was also the terminus for Jamaica Buses Jamaica to Far Rockaway run.

My memory must still be pretty good as we're talking almost seventy years ago!

# 441 photo from this writer's collection.

Enjoy,

Photo courtesy of 'haroldelliottp' and is available at eBay as item # 161196928198.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a question about why Green Line #441 (featured above) is shopping for customer groceries, here's something I wrote back in 2007 that should explain it away;

Enjoy

'Groceries by Green Line'

So you thought Green Bus Lines only delivered people – wrong! How about your morning paper, a bottle of milk and even a dozen eggs?

That’s just what the wealthy citizens of Mott Avenue (millionaire’s row) just outside ‘downtown’ Far Rockaway came to expect from their local bus driver a generation ago.

The Q22A (crosstown route), the shortest of all the Green Line franchises, ran from Reynolds Channel at Beach 19th. Street on the south side of the peninsula passing through the village proper and then down to the bay side along Mott Avenue for about a mile or so.

This was a ‘one bus’ line driven by the same chauffeur from its inception with its main passengers base being household help.

I never new the driver nor did I ever ride the route but the stories of his escapades made him a legend among his colleagues.

Always given the oldest and most dilapidated bus in the fleet, this entrepreneur would fill the back seats with loads of groceries before making his first run in the morning and his customers would be waiting at their curbs at appointed times to pick up their orders.

I’m certain that the company was well aware of this little ‘side line’ but overlooked it because I’m also certain that it was the ‘political pull’ of the affluent local citizenry that created the Q22A in the first place!

Pictured above is Q22A 'Bayswater' bus # 441 - a 1933 Mack model 6-BC-3S in Far Rockaway about 1946.

Note that because this bus was manufactured before the acquisition of the Q22A route a 'Bayswater' placard appears in the windshield instead of within the destination scroll.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: