BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B&O BUSES/BUS TURNTABLE, JERSEY CITY (1950's)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: B&O BUSES/BUS TURNTABLE, JERSEY CITY (1950's) Reply with quote

This classic 1950's photo (incorrectly dated 1949) shows a CNJ RDC Budd car train departing the Jersey City terminal, which closed in 1967.

Clearly seen here are two B&O WHITES, one of which is riding on the turntable used to turn the coaches for their return trip to Manhattan, via the CNJ ferry.

This unique bus/rail transfer connection ended in 1958, when the B&O abandoned all passenger service to New York (via the CNJ).

Today, the historic terminal is partially restored; the Bush trainsheds have been neglected and are falling into ruin.

Today, a parking lot has replaced the complex network of tracks seen here.......so much has vanished since this photo was snapped, many years ago......

"NYO"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wavz13/4061450743/in/set-72157622579761251
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was also the terminal for the Reading Railroad's only streamlined train, The Crusader, which ran there on CNJ's trackage.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629,

Here's a little better close up of those B & O Whites (top) at the Jersey Terminal and a much earlier shot (bottom) when B & O train service was thrown out of the city originally.

BTW; the later Whites were driven by Fifth Avenue Coach drivers under contract to B & O.

Photos borrowed for educational purposes only.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
That was also the terminal for the Reading Railroad's only streamlined train, The Crusader, which ran there on CNJ's trackage.

Right you are!

Actually, the train was "streamlined" only until about 1961; then the READING sold off the original "CRUSADER" streamlined consist (with observation cars at each end, to eliminate the need for turning at Jersey City and Reading Terminal).

The cars were sold to Canadian interests; the "CRUSADER" (and the "WALL STREET") continued to operate from the CNJ's Jersey City terminal until 1967, when the ALDENE PLAN rerouted all passenger traffic to Newark (PRR).

Thereafter, the "CRUSADER" and the "WALL STREET" were Budd RDC's, as there was no longer any facilities for turning the engines, as there had been at Jersey City.

An excellent MARK I rail video on the CNJ, RDG, and B&O that I've had for many years, has outstanding b/w and color footage of B&O buses crossing over to Jersey City via the CNJ ferry (on some trips, the ferries would only be carrying B&O buses!), as well as scenes at Jersey City.

Sure wish I had been around to see such a great show.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Man, I GOTTA get my hands on that Wayback Machine!

BEAUTIFUL old views!

I have many childhood memories of visiting the old CNJ terminal before it was closed in 1967, but I sure wish I had gotten to see all that ecxiting B&O motorcoach action!

Again, thanks for your contributions.......

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629,

Here's a couple of shots of B & O 'Train Connection' Whites around Manhattan which, by the way, counted thirty 1950 Model 1136's which had rear luggage compartments and seated 26 passengers.

In the top image we see one standing in front of the railroad's office off Columbus Circle on Broadway (note that above their office was the first location for radio station WINS which, at the time was all music that eventually became 'All News All The Time'.

In the bottom image we see B & O # 89 in the Union Square section of the borough keeping pace with New York City Omnibus # 1857 with just a glimpse of an Avenue B and East Broadway Mack traveling in the opposite direction.

Photos borrowed for educational purposes only.

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Ironically, I keep my circa-1975 GE radio in the kitchen locked to 1010 WINS! Wink

Though I had seen the first photo you shared awhile back, I had not seen the second "action" shot before.....WOW!! Shocked

Man, to only go back in time!

Thanks again!

"NYO"
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to an article I wrote on the Crusader.

http://www.nscalelimited.com/2011/03/15/reading-company-crusader/?cat=1

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
JimmiB wrote:

Right you are!

Actually, the train was "streamlined" only until about 1961; then the READING sold off the original "CRUSADER" streamlined consist (with observation cars at each end, to eliminate the need for turning at Jersey City and Reading Terminal).

The cars were sold to Canadian interests; the "CRUSADER" (and the "WALL STREET") continued to operate from the CNJ's Jersey City terminal until 1967, when the ALDENE PLAN rerouted all passenger traffic to Newark (PRR).

Thereafter, the "CRUSADER" and the "WALL STREET" were Budd RDC's, as there was no longer any facilities for turning the engines, as there had been at Jersey City.

An excellent MARK I rail video on the CNJ, RDG, and B&O that I've had for many years, has outstanding b/w and color footage of B&O buses crossing over to Jersey City via the CNJ ferry (on some trips, the ferries would only be carrying B&O buses!), as well as scenes at Jersey City.

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
JimmiB wrote:

Right you are!

"NYO"

NYO, you bring back fond memories of occasionally "riding the cushions", on the Reading 'Wall Street' with railfan conductor Bob Linden from Newark to Philly back in the late '60's. Thanks! Smile Smile
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reading 'Wall Street' was really a semi long distance train. It ran as mentioned from Newark to Philadelphia, from PRR's Penn Station to Hunter Tower on the PRR, then under the Aldene Plan, used Lehigh Valley trackage to get over to the Jersey Central, then reached home rails at Bound Brook. It continued on a portion of Reading used by then only for the Crusader and Wall Street until reaching West Trenton, where it joined more frequent commuter service into the Reading Terminal in Philly. You could remain aboard for a short layover, and then the equipment reversed and ran another train out to Reading, and finally ended in Pottsville. Total trip about four hours! The RDC's on that train featured reclining seats, and a snack bar serving coffee and pastries in the morning, and bar service in the evening.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: