BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bergen Avenue IBOA #18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwilenker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Bergen Avenue IBOA #18 Reply with quote

I have lived in Jersey City since November 1987 and recently joined a group on Facebook, WE GREW UP IN JERSEY CITY, though I grew up in Brooklyn. Been sharing Hudson County bus photos with the group and gleening some great information from the memories posted from everyone who remember riding the different bus lines.

Some new photos including this one appear from time to time.

comment from uploader: "A photo of my husband's dad {R} Angelo Minotto and his brother, Ben Minotto taken in 1933 when they were Owner-Operators of the Bergen Avenue Bus Line which traversed a circuitous path thru Greenville from the beginning of Garfield Ave to Journal Square."
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwilenker,

Welcome to Bus Talk - glad to have you aboard.

Great photo - thanks for sharing.

Thought those that are unfamiliar with the Bergen Avenue group and the demise of Northern New Jersey's I.B.O.A. concept might be interested in the following written by Dave Mackey; (included is a photo taken in 1976 of Bergen Avenue # 1 which appears to be an ex New Jersey Public Service TDH 4512).

Bergen Avenue IBOA

"For the record, the Bergen Avenue IBOA ceased operations on March 12, 2011. The A&C Bus Company will now be running the route. As a stop gap, Montgomery and Westside received some mothballed Flxibles in the 1900 series to replace the Nova Buses that were pulled off the road.

Bergen Avenue's buses were Novas 1240-1244, 1523-1528, and 1530. None were deemed repairable by the NJDMV so they have been junked.

The IBOA (Independent Bus Owners Association) model is slowly disappearing into history. Montgomery and Westside is perhaps the only one left, out of a long line that as late as the 1990's included Lafayette and Greenville, Broadway, Central Ave. and some of the Newark independents which have since merged into Coach USA's transit operations".

Credit within photo.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of Northern New Jersey's Bergen Avenue I.B.O.A., here's a shot taken probably in the late sixties or early seventies in Jersey City of fleet/permit #8 - an ex New York City Transit Authority 9000 series 1958 GM Coach Model TDH 5106.

The dead giveaway as to the heritage of the bus are the extremely rare if not the only sliding passenger sashes ever used on any order of heavy duty GM Old Look buses (note that I am not stating categorically that this window configuration never appeared on any other heavy duty GM Old Look bus - but if it did, I never saw it!).

The couple of changes made by Bergen included an after market set of Michigan Markers and the replacement of the New York's specially ordered heavy steel painted front bumper with a standard chromium model.

One hundred and twenty one of these coaches were built representing the city's final order of GM Old Looks with many being sold off prematurely to make way for the influx of New Look models through the sixties.

Photo courtesy of toddhalliemaya and is up for bid on eBay as item # 160857554420.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: