BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM PD-4106 story I'd like to share from my dad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: GM PD-4106 story I'd like to share from my dad Reply with quote

My father drove coaches for the better part of 40 years from the late 1960s until he retired. We were talking on the phone yesterday and he told me a story I hadn't heard before. It went like this: "I was driving an unloaded 4106 on Route 24 (in Massachusetts south out of Boston) heading back to the garage when a Greyhound passed me doing about 75. He was in a MCI and it must have been a good runner because he was moving right along. Most of our (Almeida Bus Lines) 4106s were governed at 72 or 75. Well, I had one of those early model 4106s that had a silver/chrome hand brake on the left side. I had heard that if you upped it one click it would over-ride the governor. Well, I was young and unloaded so I gave it a try. Those 4106s with the V-8s would freakin' fly, and when I clicked the brake once and floored it, the front wheels got squirrely. It was screaming and I passed that MCI doing 85 or 90. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the driver, wide-eyed, staring as I flew by him. You had to be careful because I heard from other drivers that sometimes the flapper valve would stick and the throttle would be stuck wide open, so I backed it down after I got around him. Those days are over now, they're all automatics. It just isn't the same, but it was fun."
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS,

Welcome to Bus Talk - glad to have you aboard!

Nice story!

Reminds me of the time I was driving a 5104 with a broken governor for Green Line (NY) on a 'night hawk' run to what is now JFK Airport and I think I only had one or two passengers aboard and both were asleep.

On the straight away between the Belt Parkway and the main terminal the 4104's of Carey Transportation used to pass me like I was standing still until this one night when all that changed after I put the pedal to the metal and wiped him out at eighty!

Those were the good old days!

Regards,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome MattS. That story brings back memories. Spent a lot of time behind the wheel of an '06. Sweet running coaches.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: My all time favorite coach1 Reply with quote

I can vouch for that story, as I have related on these pages a while back a similar experience.
I was cushioning to DC one Sunday night back in 1970 on a deadheading Safeway Trails 4106. We were on the Maryland pike and were playing 'cat and mouse' with a heavily chromed Peterbilt. Our bus was governed at around 72 or so, and whenever we would climb a slight grade we would pass the truck, only to have him pass us when we leveled out. This went on for miles and miles. Finally the driver (who shall remain nameless Wink ) said to me: "You didn't see this". He then flicked on the fast idle switch, pulled the 'johnson bar' (handbrake lever), up one notch, and suddenly we were off to the races! The tachograph was pinned, and the white lines were coming in a blur as we flew by that truck and its astonished driver. Once we had an insurmountable lead, he slowed back down to normal speed. We never talked about that again...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, oh, talking about my favorite coach, the 4106...now you've got me started...
I remember comparing the Eagles with the '06's. The Eagles seemed so ponderous in comparison. The extra size sure made a difference. The '06's seemed like driving a sports car after driving an Eagle. The one negative about the '06 IIRC, was they kind of got 'squirrely' on slick roads.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see its time now to bring out my all time favorite GM PD 4106 for its annual airing!

It's a 1962 model and one of ten likenesses numbered between 700 and 709 operating for Carey Transportation, Inc. of Jamaica, New York and delivered in April of that year.

While the exterior differences between the 4106 and its predecessor 4104 were not earthshaking, the mechanics of the 4106 were a whole different story with a much more powerful 8V-71 Diesel and an air conditioning compressor driven directly off the main engine which helped to increased the underfloor luggage area capacity.

Carey was New York's premiere connection service from Manhattan's East Side Terminal to all three major metropolitan airports.

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get tired of seeing that handsome coach! Thanks, Mr. 'L'!

That photo is great in many ways....also love seeing that futuristic Eero Saarinen designed TWA Flight Center, now gateway to Jetblue's terminal.

The photo, taken in the early to mid-seventies, judging by the cars in view, shows the '06 after it had its driver's and entrance door two-piece windows replaced by the one-piece that came out with the second generation model. That model came out in 1964. Besides the windows, the 'johnson bar' handbrake was replaced by the DD-3 parking brake, a downgrade IMHO. This would prevent the override of the governor as related in the previous stories.
In addition to those changes, the interior wall paneling was freshened up with new styling, and both American and National came out with new seat designs, both of which were supremely comfortable. National's had the new attached movable pillow tops. I wish our latest Prevost's had seats half as comfortable as those! Smile
MattS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcomes and replies! I found a photo of a pair of Almeida 4106s, numbers 74 and 70, maybe one of these was the one dad was driving. I posted a photo of a church bus 4106 that is sitting in a field near here, wish I had the money and talent to restore it! http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-23848

The Almeida 4106s: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bjSk4aIn6qo/T4IYnqy22YI/AAAAAAAAOFQ/5iRRGKdmu-E/s1600/Almeida-74_PD4106.jpg
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated Welcome Aboard, MattS....
Thanks for providing those photo's....clearly shows the difference in the different generation of those entrance door windows.
I remember when Almeida was running six or seven daily schedules from the Cape to the Port..... Smile
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Carey was New York's premiere connection service from Manhattan's East Side Terminal to all three major metropolitan airports.

Mr. Linsky:

I recall that Carey operated their Newark Airport service from the West Side Airline Terminal, and operated a shuttle bus along 42nd street bewteen the West Side and East Side Airline Terminals with an intermediate stop at the Joint Airline Ticket Office opposite Grand Central Terminal. Did they operate Newark service directly from the East Side terminal as well?
MattS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I remember when Almeida was running six or seven daily schedules from the Cape to the Port..... Smile

Yep, they sure did. After one trip from Boston to Hyannis in the mid-70s, my dad came home and was telling my mom about it. "This young long-haired guy sat behind me and talked to me the whole way. He said he was a singer, Jim Taylor I think." "James Taylor?" asks my mom. "Yeah, that's him. Why, who's he?" He had no idea.
bobbymedeiros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Almeida Bus Lines Reply with quote

I worked and drove for Almeida Bus and started 1945 working in the garage and then drove the buses. They were located on Dartmouth and Rockdale Ave and on Swift Street and Bolton Street and then on RTE6 near Buttonwood Park all in New Bedford. The photo on this post 1940 Areocoach #11 is parked in Park Square Boston across from Stadler Hotel. The bus terminal there, was the Park Square Terminal across from the Trailway Bus Terminal. This is the first bus I cleaned, service and drove in the 40's. 6 cycl red diamond engine, 5 speeds.

I am interested to know who your father was Matt. I am sure we both worked together back in the 70's. My name is Bob Medeiros. Please contact me back. Thank you
MattS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bobby! My dad is Roger Simmons, started in 1969 along with Joe Gagne, Eddie Stevenson was his instructor, and he was the last driver back in to New Bedford in 1979 when they got shut down. His call # was "A59" and he's talked about Tony Sousa, Jim Crawley, Charlie Diaz, and Johnny Mocito. Thanks for the post!

Last edited by MattS on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MattS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was Dad's favorite 4905 at Almeida, #106.

Almeida 106 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.18 KB
 Viewed:  32511 Time(s)

Almeida 106 2.jpg

MattS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I just got off the phone with dad, he remembers you, says Hi and hopes you're doing well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: