BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back To Boston (6/18/12)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Back To Boston (6/18/12) Reply with quote

I made another trip to Boston Monday, this time to ride and photograph MBTA's Green Line trolleys. I did manage to catch some bus shots as well. The weather was fantastic, and I was able to ride all of the Green Line branches as well as walk a few miles, which was enjoyable as well. Here are some pictures from my visit:

My day was off to an early start as I boarded Type 8 #3848 at Riverside.

The first bus encountered was RTS #0141 at Reservoir station.

Being in the right place at the right time, I caught Type 8 #3867 leading a train onto Commonwealth Avenue from the non-revenue street trackage on Chestnut Hill Avenue.

Neoplan #0473 at Brighton and Commonwealth Avenues (Packard's Corner).

Type 7 #3684 leads a 3 car train at Kenmore station.

NABI #2162 and Neoplan artic #1040 at Huntington and South Huntington Avenues.

Type 7 #3627 leading a train on the street at Huntington and South Huntington Avenues.

NABI #2220 (the "Charlie Bus") at St. James Avenue and Dartmouth Street.

Type 8 #3868 entering the subway portal at Beacon and St. Mary's Streets.

New Flyer #0885 at Haymarket Square.

Neoplan artic #1002 on the Silver Line at Temple Place and Tremont Street.

Link to the complete bus picture set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billonthehill2001/sets/72157630226386090/

Link to the complete trolley picture set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/billonthehill2001/sets/72157630226574778/

Bill
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Some of the T's RTS buses are starting to look a bit ragged, though.

Jim
Bill D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Very nice! Some of the T's RTS buses are starting to look a bit ragged, though.

Jim

Yes they are, but they keep soldiering on. The passenger loads they were carrying on Route 111 out of Haymarket were unbelievable. I believe service on that route is on 4 minute headways during afternoon peak, and every bus was packed to the windshields.

Bill
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 111 has always been a heavy route. The MBTA would be wise to retrofit the Charlestown garage to service articulated buses and bring those longer vehicles to this route and the 77 at a minimum.
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capacity issues are something that the MBTA will need to address soon, both on bus and rapid transit routes.

I also wonder about the future of the Green Line E branch, especially once the Type 7 rebuild program gets underway. With 10 cars expected to be out of service for rebuilding at one time, MBTA will lose a good amount of spare vehicles. The 39 bus seems designed to replace the E branch (which it often does) with the in town terminus at Copley. It would be easy to just eliminate the E branch altogether, which would free equipment for possibly some more 3 car trains on the other branches. It would also eliminate the duplication of service between the 39 bus and the E trains. Personally, I would hate to see the E branch disappear, but in reality it may be necessary.

Bill
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Silver Line....about once a year while calling at Boston from a NY to New England/Canada cruise I ride the SL2 from the Black Falcon Terminal to South Station. I still get a kick when the conversion from a bus to a 'train' occurs at Silver Line Way........what a neat system. Wish we had something similar in NYC......
Thanks for the photo's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: