BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'PHILADELPHIA'S SPIRIT OF 76'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: 'PHILADELPHIA'S SPIRIT OF 76' Reply with quote

In the top photo taken at Philadelphia's Frankfort Depot in April of 1978, we see a 1955 GM Coach Model TDH 5106 and one of very nearly 500 originally purchased in that year by a Trustee for the Philadelphia Transportation Company (PTC) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The name the bus has been dubbed with in its second life as a Fire Equipment vehicle for PTA's successor Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) is 'Spirit of 76' (I am uncertain as to whether it referred to America's 200th. birthday or to the Philadelphia 76er's basketball team - or maybe even both!).

The second photo, which was taken at the Wyoming Depot in March of 1981, may be of the same bus in different livery but with the rear door sealed and the '76' I.D. changed to FD-1.

Surplus buses have often been used in fire service with New York City being no exception as can be seen in the guise of a 1948 GM Coach Model TDH 5101 in the lowest frame (the question of whether this bus eventually became part of the MTA's preserved fleet and renumbered in honor of Ralph Kramden cannot be answered by this writer unless its serial number can be ascertained).

SEPTA photos from the collection of Joe Testagrose and New York City's from BusTalk Gallery.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I'm hearing Elton John's 'Philadelphia Freedom' in my head now! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: