BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Albany, NY, to Winsted, CT in 1946

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Albany, NY, to Winsted, CT in 1946 Reply with quote

This morning I recalled a bus trip our family took, probably about 1946. My paternal grandparents lived in Winsted, Connecticut, served directly from Grand Central by the New Haven Railroad up the Naugatuck Valley. Sometimes, however, Dad chose a less direct route between New York and Winsted, especially when we would stay with Grandma and Grandpa a few nights.
One such routing in 1946 provided our only tour of the United Traction streetcars in Albany. After a few hours exploring the Albany sights, we brought our suitcases from Union Station to the bus depot and boarded a coach bound for Winsted, probably an Arrow Transportation bus with final destination Hartford.
---
That particular Arrow company linked Winsted with several destinations, if I recall correctly. I think it was based in Hartford, and I am quite certain it was distinct from the Providence-based Arrow. It was not Greyhound, Vermont Transit, nor New England Transportation.
---
I do not recall whether we traveled US 20 from Albany to Pittsfield, then south on US 7 to Canaan, then US 44 to Winsted. The Pittsfield-GreatBarrington-Canaan stretch was served by the buses of the Berkshire Street Rwy, so I am uncertain of the Arrow route.
---
Can anyone fill me in about the Arrow service between Hartford and Albany?
Many thanks.
Joe McMahon
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I can't help you there but you bring up other memories that are very dear to me.

My aunt and uncle lived in Pittsfield and we used to drive up on an occasional Sunday for lunch (a three and a half hour trip each way from Long Island in those days).

We took the Taconic Parkway to where it used to end at Rt. 82, then to Rt. 44, then to Rt. 22 and finally to Rt. 7 north to Pittsfield.

You're correct about Berkshire Street Railway which serviced the Rt. 7 corridor and, in my time, the fleet was made up of a motley group of Ford Transits circa 1940's.

Three years ago, my wife and I visited Pittsfield (a mere stones throw from my daughter's house outside of Kingston) and the town really hadn't changed that much from the 50's.

BTW; Berkshire, which was a division of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, sold out eventually to Yellow Cab of Pittsfield.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe -

Bill Vandervoort in Chicago may offer some relief! See MAP (link here) to sort it out?

http://web.me.com/willvdv/chirailfan/greyhrne.html

.....................Vern.........................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: