BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus fire in Bohemia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Bus fire in Bohemia Reply with quote

Unconfirmed reports state that it was a Transit bus, I'm trying to find out if that is true or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Suffolk Transit bus heading back to the yard, though I can't make out the make of the bus nor a number so I do't know what company was operating it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess was that it was on the S54 before it suffered a mechanical problem, which the driver said it did, and burst into flames. Luckly nobody but the driver was on it at the time. I'm guessing that the bus was a Orion VII, though an 2005 Gillig isn't out of the question.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suffolk Transit bus involved was operated by E.B.T.. It was a 2010 Orion (diesel powered). Bus # and model # (length) unknown.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
The Suffolk Transit bus involved was operated by E.B.T.. It was a 2010 Orion (diesel powered). Bus # and model # (length) unknown.

My gues is that it was either a 35ft or 40ft bus since those are the only two lengths EBT runs on the S54 (besides the only two lengths that EBT has lol). Assuming the bus was used on the S54 before it caught fire.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on which bus and what the outcome will be?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Any update on which bus and what the outcome will be?

I haven't heard anything about what number the bus was, or how badly it was damaged.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is old, but I just learned that the bus that caught fire was Orion VII NG #1054. From photos I've seen the bus was gutted.

R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this bus still on warranty? Did SCT retire this bus and replaced it with a new #1054 or did they (or are they) repairing it?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
Holy shit! Was this bus still on warranty? Did SCT retire this bus and replaced it with a new #1054 or did they (or are they) repairing it?

I have no idea. 1054 looked to be totally destoried, so I don't think it will be repaired.

Here is another photo that shows how badly it was damadged.

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, we can almost be certain that the fire started in the engine compartment for which there obviously was no adequate 'fire wall' to prevent spread and destruction to the entire 'Styrofoam' body within seconds!

How many more such fires is it going to take before they learn their lesson?

Mr. 'L'
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does warranty cover a bus? Is 2 years? I know that when MTA's #1804 got t-boned back in 2011, that bus was covered for a little over a year and was eventually replaced by Orion VII 3G CNG #1883 (while #1884 was going to replace #1808 from an earlier accident, but that one was repaired and we got the extra bus anyway).
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
How long does warranty cover a bus? Is 2 years? I know that when MTA's #1804 got t-boned back in 2011, that bus was covered for a little over a year and was eventually replaced by Orion VII 3G CNG #1883 (while #1884 was going to replace #1808 from an earlier accident, but that one was repaired and we got the extra bus anyway).

I'm not sure how long a bus warranty is. As far as I know there isn't a bus running around numbered 1054 since the fire, and there doesn't seem to be a Orion VII running round with a number hire then 1081. (Or at least not that I've heard about.) Besides if memory serves me Orion was on it's way out at the time of the fire.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:

I'm pretty sure that transit bus warranties do not cover damage due to accidents. If LI Bus got new buses to replace wrecked ones, it's likely because they ordered those as replacements.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

I'm not sure how long a bus warranty is. As far as I know there isn't a bus running around numbered 1054 since the fire, and there doesn't seem to be a Orion VII running round with a number hire then 1081. (Or at least not that I've heard about.) Besides if memory serves me Orion was on it's way out at the time of the fire.
Orion did not announce it's departure in the bus industry until this time 2 years ago (April 2012). Even so, they are still obligated to replace damage buses in the event of a fire or mechanical malfunction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: