BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MEGABUS - City Of New York Nuttiness?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: MEGABUS - City Of New York Nuttiness? Reply with quote

All -

Kindly see: http://www.dnainfo.com/20120206/chelsea-hells-kitchen/megabus-too-heavy-for-city-streets-state-police-say#ixzz1lntt92hA

Can anyone explain the nature of the beef here? Freight side, and surely it also applies to bus vehicles, can this complaint be anywhere near right?
Pull up Photos of offending, Megabus double decker Van Hool TD 925 at full capacity with 81 passengers aboard weighs 39,750 pounds.

OK. In Photos, the bus has three axles. Steer + Rear Tandem. Am I a stranger in your land? The Weight Regs give us Steer - 12,000 lbs. + Tandem
- 34,000 lbs. for Gross at 46,000 lbs.

So, what's the beef with the Gross Weight noted in report? I swear, I'll never understand this stuff. Law says one thing in print, and endless
opinions what it means?

.......................Vern......................
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried googling weight limits, and after reading various charts, am more confused than when I started.
But I agree, that GVW mentioned does seem to be in line with regs., so I don't know either. As for the 'beef', it is more of the legacy carriers fighting with the cut-rate curb-bumpers, and trying for a new angle to stifle the competitive edge.....
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, buses picking up at curbside. What a novel idea. Rolling Eyes
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazed me that New York City has allowed all these cut-rate operators to make curb pickups anyway. Perhaps there isn't enough space in the Port Authority Bus Terminal to accomodate them. Eventually, some off-street solution will have to be found.

Remember, in the early days of the intercity bus industry, curb pickups were common until cities required use of off-street terminals. Now we're seeing it again. The cut-rate carriers were forced into South Station in Boston. At some point, we'll see that in New York and everywhere else that these buses and the crowds they draw create a nuisance.

The more things change the more they remain the same.

Roy
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent way too many years at The Port, I can readily state that it is okay for commuters, that can navigate their way thru in their sleep, and get to the subway and on their way. On the other hand, for long distance travelers, especially if arriving for the first time, it is the most un-user friendly, miserable place to have to negotiate.
Boston's terminal at South Station is a dream in comparison. New York has forced Greyhound to move its Bolt subsidiary into the port, taking a gate from Greyhound.
Megabus will be loading their doubledeckers on 41st street, west of 8th avenue, in the 'tunnel' thru the Port, where currently Olympia/CoachUSA loads for Newark Airport. The Port is making some kind of arrangement there for them.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All -

Since initial post, some observers have remarked of possible problems with the MEGABUS Double Deck design. Note the third (back position on tandem pair)
axle. Remarks it is a "lift" axle, and but two tires (not four) on it.

Some conjecture the Police did roadside checks, in instances where the third axle in "up" position. As all involved would have discovered: You can't do that!
(Subject caveat when any sort of a load on the coach!)

....................Vern......................
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third axle (commonly referred to as the tag axle) on full size motorcoaches is always in the down position except for (from my experience):
1. an extremely tight turn where lifting the tag axle decreases your turning radius
2. a flat tire on one of the tag axle wheels
3. moving the bus from a stop on an icy surface (lifting the tag axle puts more weight on the drive wheels)
4. increasing the lift of the front of the bus to clear a dip in the road such as a driveway entrance by again placing more weight on the rear wheels of the bus
5. and last but not least reducing the tolls paid on bridges, tunnels and toll roads (which are based on # of axles) Drivers who are paid "by the trip" and have to pay tolls from their trip money would do this to increase their take home pay.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo -

Very much likely you spotted what was happening. The - must have been more than one - MEGABUS Violations all about the "lift" axle.

Betcha' LINCOLN and HOLLAND TUNNELS charge by axles on the ground. So, the coaches came into Manhattan that way, or were setting
up to leave...

...................Vern....................
JA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryland state police were the first to find that a TD925 with 80 passengers aboard plus luggage was overweight by almost 4,000 pounds.

The Port Authority is closed to new operators. There is no space for them.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA wrote:
Maryland state police were the first to find that a TD925 with 80 passengers aboard plus luggage was overweight by almost 4,000 pounds...

JA -

Oh, Heavens! I can visualize the problem! There is no way the Coach can get legal with rear Tandem at Axle (4 Tires) + Axle (2 Tires)!

The solution is a real, Tandem Axle with Eight (8) tires on the ground and running! (It is a case of, see the driver's manual!)

.......................Vern.......................
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
JA wrote:
Maryland state police were the first to find that a TD925 with 80 passengers aboard plus luggage was overweight by almost 4,000 pounds...

JA -

Oh, Heavens! I can visualize the problem! There is no way the Coach can get legal with rear Tandem at Axle (4 Tires) + Axle (2 Tires)!

The solution is a real, Tandem Axle with Eight (Cool tires on the ground and running! (It is a case of, see the driver's manual!)

.......................Vern.......................

Have not seen a 'ten-wheeler' bus since the end of the PD4501 Scenicruiser's. Smile
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="roymanning2000Perhaps there isn't enough space in the Port Authority Bus Terminal to accomodate them. [/quote]

Sorry for repeating if I am indeed doing just that, but the PA is currently overcrowded, with Shortline Bus, NJT, Community Coach, Rockland Coaches, Transbridge, Greyhound, and smaller mexican illegal bus services, I do believe the PA will not open up to another bus company. To date the PA accomodates, according to the PA, Monday through Friday, 7000 buses in any 24 hour period.

At some point, we'll see that in New York and everywhere else that these buses and the crowds they draw create a nuisance.

Actually, one DD holds 20 People on the bottom and 59 on top, and each regular coach bus holds 55-57 people. That, is that many more cars off the city streets. I'd rather take the crowds and the nuisance than thousands more cars on the city streets

Regards..ken

Roy
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Allieviate some of the bus congestion in the PA, New Jersey Transit is proposing to NYC to allow their buses to pick up in midtown manhattan. Don't get nervous yet..its only in the talking stages.
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortlineMCI wrote:
To Allieviate some of the bus congestion in the PA, New Jersey Transit is proposing to NYC to allow their buses to pick up in midtown manhattan. Don't get nervous yet..its only in the talking stages.

I personally would like to see them build a new larger bus terminal to replace the current overcrowded one, than start picking up more and more passengers on the streets....that was the whole reason the Port was built in the first place, way back in 1950 to alleviate the situation of having multi terminals and pickups all over town. Direct connection with rapid transit was provided to speed commuters to their final destinations.

As for NJ Transit picking up on the street.....why not, as carriers such as Martz, Shortline, and some others have already been doing that for quite some time, with extensions from the Port to the East Side, and Wall Street area, among others......
I'm just glad that my company has not decided to go that way.
BZGuy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortlineMCI wrote:
Sorry for repeating if I am indeed doing just that, but the PA is currently overcrowded, with Shortline Bus, NJT, Community Coach, Rockland Coaches, Transbridge, Greyhound, and smaller mexican illegal bus services, I do believe the PA will not open up to another bus company. To date the PA accomodates, according to the PA, Monday through Friday, 7000 buses in any 24 hour period.

Ken,

Actually C&J Trailways of Maine started service to NYC a couple of months ago, however they have some agreement with NY Trailways to use one gate at a time when Trailways isn't using it.

The PABT is beyond overcrowded and it just gonna get worse. Look at Shortline...all the added Orange County service and NJT every schedule change is adding more buses. Looking at tolls and gas prices the bus is the way to go for more and more people and the city and the PA need to do something before it gets worse!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: