BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Why are we hearing not a peep about raising the SCAT bus fare? Let's say those buses have a half a million on ridership a year, wouldn't a fare raise to a dollar more for them, be a good way to close the gap. It's currently $3 (double the base for fixed route) for that service and the people who use SCAT get curb to curb service, if those on the fixed route buses are going to feel the pain on a fare hike so should the SCAT people, yet I hear nothing about that from TBTP. I hope your going to one of those public hearings.

Because the riders of SCAT would complain.

Technically SCAT provides curb-to-curb transportation and will pick you up and drop you off between any two points in Suffolk County within 3/4 mile (which has caused problems for some riders) of a Suffolk County Transit or HART bus route

Ok well I've found more info digging through those minutes of the DPW meetings, (Sorry, but there's 3 years of those meetings on there so it's tough to read through it all) 6.6 million is the average annual ridership for fixed route buses and I wasn't that far off from the half a million guess earlier, but it's actually 450 thousand for SCAT. Those numbers are based on how many fares are received during the year. Based on the costs to run the bus service and the amount brought in even with the fare raise to $2 and the routes with Sunday service going up to $2.25, they are short about $50-100K, so in principle of fairness if fixed route buses see a 33% increase in fares and it still doesn't cover all expenses or allow for expansion, then I don't see where they can't raise SCAT 33% as well. If they think SCAT riders are going to complain just imagine what it will be like when people hear of a raise in fares and no improvement or expansion of service is to come with that. For the record and I have not heard anything regarding this but is HART discussing any fare raises?

I'm sure (or at least hope) that most riders by know know that the fare increase isn't going to be going to service improvements, I mean it has had some press coverage and none talked about it.

The only reason though that the S92 and 10C's fares is going up to $2.25 though is because Legislator Schneiderman came up with so may for it to be lower for them, otherwise their fare would be $2.50. There was a out cry when it was first announced because it would have been an increase of one dollar with in a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes it a 50% increase over the fares they were paying out there as late as last May. I might take that if there were some Sunday service in the western part of the county, because there would be no step up fare to the Nassau buses as there is at the moment. At the moment costs someone a dollar more than the Suffolk fare to get one to those buses, 1.50 base + .25 transfer + .75 step up fare from base. It gets worse if you are using HART.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of changes as the topic alludes to, today for the first time in a very long time I went to JCPenney's at Smith Haven Mall, which I never go to because the Walt Whitman Mall is so much closer in comparison and has everything except the aforementioned store above. While I see there's been some changes, also I seem to recall that the buses at Smith Haven had a different place where they arrived and picked up passengers 5 or more years ago. S60, Do you care to shed some light on that?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Speaking of changes as the topic alludes to, today for the first time in a very long time I went to JCPenney's at Smith Haven Mall, which I never go to because the Walt Whitman Mall is so much closer in comparison and has everything except the aforementioned store above. While I see there's been some changes, also I seem to recall that the buses at Smith Haven had a different place where they arrived and picked up passengers 5 or more years ago. S60, Do you care to shed some light on that?

Yeah back about 2005 or 2006 they tore down the old Sterns area to biuld the new lifestyle center (or something like that). During the constrution, they also re did the area where the buses picked up and drop off. Each bus has an assign spot where they are to drop off and pick up passengers. (there are about three to four routes assigned to a spot.

During Construction the bus stops where moved to the food court area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

Yeah back about 2005 or 2006 they tore down the old Sterns area to biuld the new lifestyle center (or something like that). During the constrution, they also re did the area where the buses picked up and drop off. Each bus has an assign spot where they are to drop off and pick up passengers. (there are about three to four routes assigned to a spot.

Yeah that's where I remember them being, by the JC Penney. I got off today and was like, now where do I go to get there now? I eventually got a mall map and found it. Thanks for confirming what I thought.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Yeah that's where I remember them being, by the JC Penney. I got off today and was like, now where do I go to get there now? I eventually got a mall map and found it. Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Everytime we went to Smith Haven, or we would end up at the Macy's side, my mom would tell stories about when the bus stops use to be on that side of the mall.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how there is 4 shelters at Smith Haven Mall, although as far as I can tell the 4th one going from west to east isn't used by any bus. And what is with the S69 bus and why does it run so late compared to most of the others even on a Saturday? There's a shuttle bus provided free by the State for SUNY Stony Brook users, usually run only on the weekends. Wouldn't it considering how close it's route is to the S60 made more sense to call it S60A? Oh and speaking of shuttle buses, why is there hourly seven day a week ones for the Tanger Outlet in Deer Park to the aforementioned town's LIRR station? It would make more sense if The SCT buses have a stop outside of it on the Grant Boulevard instead of 2A, S27, and S33 buses stopping in the center? It's not like it's a 1/10 of a mile away from the main road like some places, and if I'm going there and I'm taking the LIRR, I'm never going on a SCT bus when the Outlet shuttle bus costs nothing. Maybe it's like trying to explain the meaning of life or something, but I figure to give it a shot here.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
I like how there is 4 shelters at Smith Haven Mall, although as far as I can tell the 4th one going from west to east isn't used by any bus. And what is with the S69 bus and why does it run so late compared to most of the others even on a Saturday? There's a shuttle bus provided free by the State for SUNY Stony Brook users, usually run only on the weekends. Wouldn't it considering how close it's route is to the S60 made more sense to call it S60A? Oh and speaking of shuttle buses, why is there hourly seven day a week ones for the Tanger Outlet in Deer Park to the aforementioned town's LIRR station? It would make more sense if The SCT buses have a stop outside of it on the Grant Boulevard instead of 2A, S27, and S33 buses stopping in the center? It's not like it's a 1/10 of a mile away from the main road like some places, and if I'm going there and I'm taking the LIRR, I'm never going on a SCT bus when the Outlet shuttle bus costs nothing. Maybe it's like trying to explain the meaning of life or something, but I figure to give it a shot here.

The 4th shelter is for drop offs when there are buses at the other three, or at least that is what I've heard and since so many buses that arrive at the same time it makes sense. Routes that arrive for pick up at the 3rd one probably use it for pick ups as well though thats just a guess.

I'm not sure of the real reasoning behind the S69, It could be for SUNY Stony Brook students since I believe Campus buses end early and they don't have any off campus buses except for the weekend, though since most routes have been kept the same since the private companies had them it could be that the company that ran the Smith Haven Mall to Port Jefferson part of the S60 ran buses late into the evening or Coram Bus Service could have don it. I also don't know the reasoning why it has a route number instead of a letter that designee it as a feeder route. (though it does run on mostly state roads so that could be)
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

The 4th shelter is for drop offs when there are buses at the other three, or at least that is what I've heard and since so many buses that arrive at the same time it makes sense. Routes that arrive for pick up at the 3rd one probably use it for pick ups as well though thats just a guess.
Ok that does make sense and they did tend to get bunched up at the time I was there. Although none came to that end while I was there. I like the 4th one because you tend to avoid the smokers and other distracting stuff.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Ok that does make sense and they did tend to get bunched up at the time I was there. Although none came to that end while I was there. I like the 4th one because you tend to avoid the smokers and other distracting stuff.

When I was there well over a year ago, I remember an S62 pulled up to it to drop people off before heading on break (it was on a Saturday and before the Orion VII's arrived), though other then that one bus, that shelter wasn't used.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure of the real reasoning behind the S69, It could be for SUNY Stony Brook students since I believe Campus buses end early and they don't have any off campus buses except for the weekend, though since most routes have been kept the same since the private companies had them it could be that the company that ran the Smith Haven Mall to Port Jefferson part of the S60 ran buses late into the evening or Coram Bus Service could have don it. I also don't know the reasoning why it has a route number instead of a letter that designee it as a feeder route. (though it does run on mostly state roads so that could be)

It looks like you were correct about the SUNY buses: http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/HRSForms.nsf/e3857788c0c8650685256edf0064521d/bd69be045ccc5fd185257192006c90cb/$FILE/PRKD0001.pdf
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Quote:

It looks like you were correct about the SUNY buses: http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/HRSForms.nsf/e3857788c0c8650685256edf0064521d/bd69be045ccc5fd185257192006c90cb/$FILE/PRKD0001.pdf

I think they expanded the R&D shuttle as I don't remember it looking like that the last time I saw the page.

I've also seen The Stony Brook buses come in to Smith Haven Mall the last time I was there in December of 2010.

A former CBS driver from the 90's drove for SBU after he left the company, its unknown if he still drives for SBU.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Quote:

I think they expanded the R&D shuttle as I don't remember it looking like that the last time I saw the page.

I've also seen The Stony Brook buses come in to Smith Haven Mall the last time I was there in December of 2010.

A former CBS driver from the 90's drove for SBU after he left the company, its unknown if he still drives for SBU.
I believe you are correct with the R&D shuttle because the last time I took it in October 2011 it didn't run after 6:30PM. It's good to see as I might have to take it again this week.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Quote:

I didn't mean that the time it ran was expanded, I meant that they had added stops to it, I believe the last time I saw the map of that route they had it stopping near the lot where the SUNY buses are parked.

Though thats good that they expanded the times.

I believe you are correct with the R&D shuttle because the last time I took it in October 2011 it didn't run after 6:30PM. It's good to see as I might have to take it again this week.

I didn't mean that the times were expanded, which is also a good thing, I meant that the last time I looked at a map of the SUNY Stony Brook system the R&D route ended at the South P lot (where they keep the buses) or some where around there.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, well the R&D part has expanded a bit since those days. The AERTC is a new building. and the R&D bus now has stops within the other buses or the center of the campus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: