BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Changes Reply with quote

From my new discovery, Inter County, CBS Lines, Sunrise Coach Lines and Hampton Jitney are no More. Someone is reading these blogs because what ive predicted has come true.

there are now 3 companies

EBT
Suffolk Bus Corporation
Twin Forks Transit

Now that we only have 3 companies, things should run alot smoother, im also waiting to hear of the new routes were getting as well

My sources also tell me that there will be a fare increase in march of this year, and a new sunday service, looks like suffolk riders will have service 7 days a week, with the exception of the 2 routes that run on suday S92, 10C

CBS buses are still being run privately but under suffolks roster, in my opinion the S60/S69 should be operated by EBT, since they have a bulk of the larger buses that seat over 36 passengers and is one of the busiest lines in the county. but well see when a route bid comes up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Changes Reply with quote

Kay23 wrote:

My sources also tell me that there will be a fare increase in march of this year, and a new sunday service, looks like suffolk riders will have service 7 days a week, with the exception of the 2 routes that run on suday S92, 10C

Its already been posted on here that the fare increase,if signed off by County Exec Ballone will go into effect on May 1st not in March.

The S92 and 10C don't currently run on Sundays, they haven't announced a time table yet when they will be running on Sundays again.

For a county that has to raise fares to fill a budget gap, I can't see how they can add Sunday Service.

My guess is you have to check with your source whoever they are and double check what they know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the public works committee minutes it appears they are trying to get Sunday service to start by Memorial Day weekend, and go until Columbus Day, which would be roughly parts of 6 months of 7 day service. I forget which meeting that it was discussed but it was some time in the back end of 2011.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
From the public works committee minutes it appears they are trying to get Sunday service to start by Memorial Day weekend, and go until Columbus Day, which would be roughly parts of 6 months of 7 day service. I forget which meeting that it was discussed but it was some time in the back end of 2011.

So they want to start it a month earlier then last year and end it about a week earlier then last year. If I remember correctly Sunday Service started in June last year and ended on September 11th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

So they want to start it a month earlier then last year and end it about a week earlier then last year. If I remember correctly Sunday Service started in June last year and ended on September 11th.

Yeah on the start time but that would be like a month later on the end date. Columbus Day is like the 2nd Monday of October. Why do I think we've had a conversation about Columbus Day before?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Yeah on the start time but that would be like a month later on the end date. Columbus Day is like the 2nd Monday of October. Why do I think we've had a conversation about Columbus Day before?

Ooops I confused Columbus day with Labor day.

Yeah we did have a conversation about Columbus Day last year when I thought that SCT ran some routes on Saturday Schedule's on Columbus Day LOL.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From my new discovery, Inter County, CBS Lines, Sunrise Coach Lines and Hampton Jitney are no More. Someone is reading these blogs because what ive predicted has come true.

Sunrise Coach Lines and Hampton Jitney are still in business, running strong. The two companies are sub-contractors of Twin Forks Transit.
All routes previously operated by the two companies are still operated by them. No layoffs, no changes in buses, etc.

Sunday service in 2011 was:
Sundays starting with July 3, 2011 - ended on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011
The Sept. 11 day of service was added after the August 28 day was cancelled because of hurricane/tropical storm Irene.
This summer schedule also included Independence Day, Monday, July 4 and Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5.

Buses ran for a total of 12 extra days in 2011.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Quote:

Sunrise Coach Lines and Hampton Jitney are still in business, running strong. The two companies are sub-contractors of Twin Forks Transit.
All routes previously operated by the two companies are still operated by them. No layoffs, no changes in buses, etc.

Sunday service in 2011 was:
Sundays starting with July 3, 2011 - ended on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011
The Sept. 11 day of service was added after the August 28 day was cancelled because of hurricane/tropical storm Irene.
This summer schedule also included Independence Day, Monday, July 4 and Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5.

Buses ran for a total of 12 extra days in 2011.

I thought the Summer Schedule last year was suppose to end before September 11th, I didn't think much of it because I thought that I may have misread what the end day was posted before they added it. (I sometimes have a tendency to misread a word or two if I read to fast)
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can take Jimbo's word for it, on 9/11 service, considering where he lives in relation to those routes.
Anyway I found the routes they have earmarked as Sunday service routes, and they are as follows: S1, 3D, S33, S40, S41, S54, S58, S66, in addition to S92 and 10C. Others are also mentioned but the theory here is the 2 routes with sunday service in summer of 2011 were a start and they tested well enough to cover more than the amount that it cost to run the program. Well with the shortfalls SCT is having it has been continually been held (or tabled as they term it) in the Public Works committee since the early fall. This is where we are with our county public transit system, if you want to impact something into it or are some sort of accounting wizard perhaps at the public meetings/hearings, you can propose something the committee might agree to. If I could find some figures on SCT and SCAT ridership in previous years, I might have something to propose but it's tough getting numbers from TPTB.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
I think we can take Jimbo's word for it, on 9/11 service, considering where he lives in relation to those routes.
Anyway I found the routes they have earmarked as Sunday service routes, and they are as follows: S1, 3D, S33, S40, S41, S54, S58, S66, in addition to S92 and 10C. Others are also mentioned but the theory here is the 2 routes with sunday service in summer of 2011 were a start and they tested well enough to cover more than the amount that it cost to run the program. Well with the shortfalls SCT is having it has been continually been held (or tabled as they term it) in the Public Works committee since the early fall. This is where we are with our county public transit system, if you want to impact something into it or are some sort of accounting wizard perhaps at the public meetings/hearings, you can propose something the committee might agree to. If I could find some figures on SCT and SCAT ridership in previous years, I might have something to propose but it's tough getting numbers from TPTB.

I wasn't disagreeing with Jimbo.

If those routes (other then the S92 and 10C of course) were routes proposed to get Sunday Service the first time around, then I can certainly understand why the first bill was so disliked by many in the legislature.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

If those routes (other then the S92 and 10C of course) were routes proposed to get Sunday Service the first time around, then I can certainly understand why the first bill was so disliked by many in the legislature.

Ok I didn't think you were, I was just stating a matter of fact that Jimbo lives in the area, so my apologies if I implied you were.
Well the whole point of the Sunday service was not to have the fleet that runs 6 days now run 7, at least according to the chairman of the committee. The point is to be able to have a short walk to a bus that does run Sunday or at worse a short taxi ride. County wide it isn't really feasible. Did Levy do the right thing in vetoing the original bill that would have raised fares across the board, while implementing Sunday service in most areas? IMHO No, because now SCT has a shortfall that may end any hope of Sunday service to the rest of the county. Levy did have the fairness rule on his side though as to offset those who would get Sunday service, with those who wouldn't, he did them justice, but I stand by the argument that SCT wouldn't have the shortfall it does, or it would be easily handled with perhaps only a quarter raise to bring it inline with Nassau and city fares. The vote to override the veto fell with 10 in favor of overriding it to 7 not overriding it and 1 open seat IIRC.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Ok I didn't think you were, I was just stating a matter of fact that Jimbo lives in the area, so my apologies if I implied you were.
Well the whole point of the Sunday service was not to have the fleet that runs 6 days now run 7, at least according to the chairman of the committee. The point is to be able to have a short walk to a bus that does run Sunday or at worse a short taxi ride. County wide it isn't really feasible. Did Levy do the right thing in vetoing the original bill that would have raised fares across the board, while implementing Sunday service in most areas? IMHO No, because now SCT has a shortfall that may end any hope of Sunday service to the rest of the county. Levy did have the fairness rule on his side though as to offset those who would get Sunday service, with those who wouldn't, he did them justice, but I stand by the argument that SCT wouldn't have the shortfall it does, or it would be easily handled with perhaps only a quarter raise to bring it inline with Nassau and city fares. The vote to override the veto fell with 10 in favor of overriding it to 7 not overriding it and 1 open seat IIRC.

I don't think you were implying it, I just said that encase you were, but since you weren't now I feel kinda stupid for saying it.

I think that its hard to say weather Levy was right or wrong with vetoing the first Sunday Service bill, his reasoning though made sense to me. (And I probably would have done the same). Though you can't blame the budget problem with SCT with him as its a county budget problem not a SCT on. Suffolk isn't giving the DPW enough money which in turn doesn't have enough money for SCT. A fare hike last year probably could have helped, but then again it may have not. (Remember the money they made from the 2002 fare hike went to covering part of Suffolk's share of paying SCT, they could have easily done it again if the county raised fares last years and they got more money back then they expected. The only difference would be that in 2002 Suffolks share was said to be 7 Million where as now its said to be about $24 Million)
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we hearing not a peep about raising the SCAT bus fare? Let's say those buses have a half a million on ridership a year, wouldn't a fare raise to a dollar more for them, be a good way to close the gap. It's currently $3 (double the base for fixed route) for that service and the people who use SCAT get curb to curb service, if those on the fixed route buses are going to feel the pain on a fare hike so should the SCAT people, yet I hear nothing about that from TBTP. I hope your going to one of those public hearings.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Why are we hearing not a peep about raising the SCAT bus fare? Let's say those buses have a half a million on ridership a year, wouldn't a fare raise to a dollar more for them, be a good way to close the gap. It's currently $3 (double the base for fixed route) for that service and the people who use SCAT get curb to curb service, if those on the fixed route buses are going to feel the pain on a fare hike so should the SCAT people, yet I hear nothing about that from TBTP. I hope your going to one of those public hearings.

Because the riders of SCAT would complain.

Technically SCAT provides curb-to-curb transportation and will pick you up and drop you off between any two points in Suffolk County within 3/4 mile (which has caused problems for some riders) of a Suffolk County Transit or HART bus route
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

Because the riders of SCAT would complain.

Technically SCAT provides curb-to-curb transportation and will pick you up and drop you off between any two points in Suffolk County within 3/4 mile (which has caused problems for some riders) of a Suffolk County Transit or HART bus route

Ok well I've found more info digging through those minutes of the DPW meetings, (Sorry, but there's 3 years of those meetings on there so it's tough to read through it all) 6.6 million is the average annual ridership for fixed route buses and I wasn't that far off from the half a million guess earlier, but it's actually 450 thousand for SCAT. Those numbers are based on how many fares are received during the year. Based on the costs to run the bus service and the amount brought in even with the fare raise to $2 and the routes with Sunday service going up to $2.25, they are short about $50-100K, so in principle of fairness if fixed route buses see a 33% increase in fares and it still doesn't cover all expenses or allow for expansion, then I don't see where they can't raise SCAT 33% as well. If they think SCAT riders are going to complain just imagine what it will be like when people hear of a raise in fares and no improvement or expansion of service is to come with that. For the record and I have not heard anything regarding this but is HART discussing any fare raises?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: