BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some info to get involved in SCT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Some info to get involved in SCT Reply with quote

If one wants to get involved, and effect what is going on with Suffolk County Transit, going to the meetings of the Public Works and Transportation Committee, is a good first step. I'm leaving with you 2 links. First is how to speak before the legislator or committees: http://legis.suffolkcountyny.gov/howtospeak.html And the Second is when this particular committee has meetings: http://legis.suffolkcountyny.gov/clerk/cmeet/pw/pw12.html If you want to look at previous years minutes and transcriptions, just substitue 12 at the end of that for the year you may be interested in ex: instead of pw12.html it would be pw10.html for 2010 or so on. I believe its important to get this information out and participate. I do realize it's in the middle of the day and such, but I want those who can get there to be informed on how.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAH! You noted, "...First is how to speak before the legislator or committees...".

So, one may infer the entire process is out of control? This ain't the same as having respectful conversations with The Lord!
Last I heard these - in so many cases, unelected - put their pants (or panties) on the same way as anyone else.
They are still being paid by enternally suffering taxpayers!

........................Vern....................

Last edited by HwyHaulier on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,
I totally agree! There's order, but this is how one gets heard. With the added bonus that some of these meetings (especially the evening ones) you'd want it to end before the buses stop running. Unlike the City of New York with the Port and Metropolitan Transit Authorities controlling their namesakes, Suffolk County Transit runs it's own buses with full and sole input, so as such county legislators and the executive decide what goes on with it. The county also has a limit of how much time one can have in front in attendance of the public taxpayer funded committee or legislature, which is another frustrating aspect of getting changes done. I would say the thing to do in this situation is go to one of the committee or legislator member's offices and talk with them first, then follow the steps below. Currently there is to be a fare raise in the county in the spring starting perhaps as soon as May, I and the others in this forum using SCT that would like to see Sunday service included in fare hikes on more routes then currently are. We'll see what happens.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commack' -

Many Thanks! First, fare increasesare inevitable. Most any Agency budgets in complete shambles. All badly need increased funding!
So as to "make nice" we are all expected to pretend there are no inflation effects on operating costs. This is precisely what put the
private operators out of the business!

"Public Input Meetings"? Don't get me started on the present day charade! It often accomplishes little. The "PTB" types can check off,
on a list, they did it. Let me guess? Your own experience is these folks sit on a raised dais, to suggest they sent from a Higher Power.

If it were a real, "let's get some things done" meeting, it would be "meet and greet" with munchies and beers all around. The problem
with it being? Many of those involved are near completely absent any people skills! The last thing they ever want to do is "meet and
greet"! (I just had this telcon earlier today with a colleague.)

Now, what one may infer, and it is likely correct: A strong willed "Citizen" can impose their own point of view, and get some respect.
Otherwise, the entire process is often quite flawed silliness...

......................Vern.................

Last edited by HwyHaulier on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Vern,
I totally agree! There's order, but this is how one gets heard. With the added bonus that some of these meetings (especially the evening ones) you'd want it to end before the buses stop running. Unlike the City of New York with the Port and Metropolitan Transit Authorities controlling their namesakes, Suffolk County Transit runs it's own buses with full and sole input, so as such county legislators and the executive decide what goes on with it. The county also has a limit of how much time one can have in front in attendance of the public taxpayer funded committee or legislature, which is another frustrating aspect of getting changes done. I would say the thing to do in this situation is go to one of the committee or legislator member's offices and talk with them first, then follow the steps below. Currently there is to be a fare raise in the county in the spring starting perhaps as soon as May, I and the others in this forum using SCT that would like to see Sunday service included in fare hikes on more routes then currently are. We'll see what happens.

Also another problem is that the county budget that was passed (which includes the fare increase) only has enough money to cover half of the year from what I heard so if Ballone can't come up with a budget that plugs the gap, then I fear that fares will be increased even higher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like even more of a reason to have the discussion with your local elected officials, perhaps like your assembly person or state senator to get some funds down here for this. They just gave a nice tidy sum for the MTA to play with, there should be some for the state to give to SCT. One fare increase is tough but doable, 2 fare increases and we're back to where we started nearly 10 years ago. There should be no reason that we should have to pay the highest fares in the area for transportation. That might end up making the train the better alternative. Check out Jimbo's post in the other topic.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
This sounds like even more of a reason to have the discussion with your local elected officials, perhaps like your assembly person or state senator to get some funds down here for this. They just gave a nice tidy sum for the MTA to play with, there should be some for the state to give to SCT. One fare increase is tough but doable, 2 fare increases and we're back to where we started nearly 10 years ago. There should be no reason that we should have to pay the highest fares in the area for transportation. That might end up making the train the better alternative. Check out Jimbo's post in the other topic.

Yeah though Ten Years ago though the fare increase was due to a short fall in SCT's operational Budget (Or so I have read), not a short fall in the County's own budget.

Though with Ballone having to sign off on it, and seeing as he is more transportation friendly, maybe he will come up with a way to lessen the blow. (If he vetos the proposal there will probably is a 100% chance that it will get over ridden as there has been no mention of legislators not supporting the possible fare hikes)

The state did send extra funds ten years ago, though I don't think they would be incline to do it again, especially if they were to do it after the fare increase is put into effect, since Suffolk used the money made while the fare hike was in effect to pay off their share (which at the time was said to be 7 Million) of operating SCT instead of saving it to hold off future fare hikes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S60, I'm wondering if you got around to calling SILO yet, I've been working all day the last few so I haven't.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
S60, I'm wondering if you got around to calling SILO yet, I've been working all day the last few so I haven't.

No I haven't, I've been busy as well.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

No I haven't, I've been busy as well.

Ok I'm going to try and reach them this week before 4PM on Friday. I'm fairly certain they have been strongly into the SCT issues and have a grasp on what they plan to do on it. I'll let the topic know what I can find or if you get a chance hopefully you can do the same.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted SILO in the latter part of this week, and I've gotten ahold of someone who might be able to obtain the meetings audio or transcripts, but they needed to time to get the info. I was told someone would get back to me when they could about that. When I receive it I will post whatever I can and the rest I will PM to any interested party.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was fast, I have been told this morning that there is no minutes or audio recording from that fixed route meeting at SILO in May of 2011. Sorry I did my best to get them though.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Well that was fast, I have been told this morning that there is no minutes or audio recording from that fixed route
meeting at SILO in May of 2011. Sorry I did my best to get them though.

Commack' -

Told ya'! Recalling a legendary old film? See the attitudes? "Rules, Senor? Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!"

..........................Vern.................
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Well that was fast, I have been told this morning that there is no minutes or audio recording from that fixed route
meeting at SILO in May of 2011. Sorry I did my best to get them though.

Commack' -

Told ya'! Recalling a legendary old film? See the attitudes? "Rules, Senor? Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!"

..........................Vern.................

SILO stands for Suffolk Independent Living Organization and it is not any part of the government. They are advocates for the disabled who wish to be living on their own. Part of that lifestyle is to be able to get around, so they have a transportation committee that occasionally meets and my thinking was since it's for the disabled they would have a transcript for the deaf and a recording for the blind. Sadly they don't, but the guy they have as the head of that committee is there still, so he helps out quite a bit being a former employee of the bus company for many years, before joining them.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commack' -

Many Thanks! Which is why I try to avoid responses on purely New York area items. I have little exposure to the purely local issues.
Thanks for noting SILO better styled as a worthy, largely voluntary (I guess) interest group. Indeed! It is too much to expect such
entities to follow regulations which prevail throughout government agencies. Many of the "interest groups" have problems enough,
simply in attracting good members...

.......................Vern.....................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: