BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM design studio model

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: GM design studio model Reply with quote

Here's a model that purports to be a product of the GM design studio. Looks to be a predecessor of the Advance Design RTS.

JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a professionally made model. Nice.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishbowl,

Nice model - I've not seen anything like this one before but GM designers did a lot of tinkering (that's what they got paid for!).

I really don't see any resemblance to the RTS series but, if it's anything at all, it may have been an idea for the next generation of highway coaches.

On page 126 of 'GM INTERCITY COACHES - 1944 to 1980' there is a rendition of the successor to the 'Buffalo' series of the 70's and it's not that far removed from your model.

The one built is seen below and was dubbed 'Titan II'.

Photo thanks to Flickr.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that seeing this model as a pre-RTS is a stretch, but the large, blacked-out windows, dual rear axles, fancy wheels, and overall modular look of the model remind me of the RTX prototype (the predecessor of the RTS bus).

These similarities say to me that this model might well be from the same time period (mid-to-late sixties) as the RTX (pehaps an alternative RTX design, incorporating some of the same features)... or possibly from the early seventies Transbus Project era.

The two sets of folding doors suggest a city transit bus, although the lack of a destination sign seems a bit of an oversight. Of course, there are no rear markers, either. I guess there needs to be some "suspension of disbelief" when one views these sorts of sketchy, whimsical models. How generous of GM to encourage (and fund) this sort of "tinkering"!
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan II, except for the headlights looks almost identical, from the beltline down, to a 4905.
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB,

I believe you nailed it exactly. The Titan II was a 4905 bottom with a RTS-inspired top. GM probably did not want to put a tremendous amount of money into an entirely new model considering the potential market. So they upgraded what they were already building with larger windows and a more modern look. In the end, they felt even this model wasn't worth it.

Roy
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody else notice the front license plate RTS 40 and the rear license plate RT 40? The front of the model looks like the back of a fishbowl with a front windshield...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> The Bus Modeler All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: