BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'BEE LINE (L.I.) # 614 OBITUARY'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: 'BEE LINE (L.I.) # 614 OBITUARY' Reply with quote

Pictured sadly at its final resting place in a photo taken in 1986 is fleet # 614 - a 1958 GM Coach Model TDH 5106 and one of twenty likenesses numbered from 600 to 619 originally delivered in increments between 1957 and 1959 to Bee Line, Inc., of Rockville Centre, New York.

Even though its engine and various other parts are missing, # 614 still maintains its very 'GM' heritage as well as its original Bee Line colors.

While the caption that accompanied the photo did not indicate a location, it could be in the Ronkonkoma section of Long Island as hinted by the Alert Coach Lines bus in the background.

Also seen below is # 614 in its original glory days (even at twenty years old!).

Upper photo thanks to eBay.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post script to my blurb above on Bee Line (L.I.) # 614;

The 'operating' photo was taken in October of 1978 by my good friend Jim Husing which presents a dilemma.

It is presumed that by 1978 the MSBA would have retired any Old Looks that it might have inherited in its takeover of the private lines in Nassau especially when you consider that the youngest of them would have already reached the age of fourteen in 1973.

The bus in the photo has no 'MTA' or Bee Line markings and is signed as 'Charter' which was not a Bee Line specialty.

There are two possibilities here with the first being that it might have gone over to Schenck Tours at takeover or it may have been working for Alert Coach Lines.

Comments welcome.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very said to see a bus in that condition.

If you look to the right of #614, you can see what I assume ti be a bus in Suffolk Transit's original paint scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: