BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible fare hikes for Suffolk buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
An article in Monday's Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-urged-to-use-aid-for-sunday-buses-1.3649510 The gist of this is Sniderman plans to introduce the bill for expansion of Sunday Service this month. Thanks to the State Transportation Operating Assistance, perhaps soon countywide sunday service, by this summer and staying after the summer as well. I know this is similar to what happened in 2003 but it should be noted is this SCT ridership has increased 45% in the ten years between 2000-2010.

They are better off doing what I though which is to use the state aid to plug the gap (which was said to be the same amount as the aid) but keeping the fare increase for Sunday Service.
Honestly you have to know if it goes through a 25 cent increase above the fare increase on May 1st is going to be instituted on those lines as allowed by the language put forth on the bills last year to bring Sunday service to the S92 and 10C lines, and the budget agreement. And 75 cents or 50% raise on all 2010 fares is quite a bit IMHO, but I believe it's worth it to be on par with NICE, in terms of service and availability. To be fair not every line is going to get it and Sniderman has said so on a number of occasions, but it's also fair to point out not every line on NICE or NYC buses run on Sunday or Saturday for that matter either.

The language of the bill for this fare increase said it had to be a fair hike in fare, thats why the S92 and 10C is getting a 25 cent raise and not the 50 cent raise like the other lines, because riders said that 50 cent raise on top of the 50 cent raise for Sunday Service wasn't fare. Trust me if the bill was written with out that "clause" I would bet in a heart beat that the fares would be risen to the price of NICE Bus and with no planed benefit for riders.

Yeah, but my way of thinking gets Sunday Service for those few lines the way Sniderman wanted to do it in the first place. And if they do it the way the do most stuff, no rider would be the wiser. These politicians are just thinking about the next election, even if they can bring Sunday Service, it just so riders in their district will vote for them in the next election. I mean banking a whole program on a million dollar aid is not the smartest thing to do.

There's quite a few homonyms in that last post, and Sniderman is term limited in the next election, but I do get your point. However out east on May 1st it will be the price of a NICE bus and without any Sunday service at the onset on the quarter raise in fare, although like Jimbo said earlier it won't be that long before they do have it. The main thing with Sunday Service is getting it full year round and once that is done, it will be tough to cut it back. I agree that it's not the best to take the aid and use it solely for Sunday Service, because of what I just alluded to, however if it's not done now it might not ever get done considering what happened in 2003 and how those in Albany weren't happy with what they did with it then.

It was 2002, and Albany didn't like what Suffolk did with the money gained from the fare increase, the money they sent at the time was suppose to be used to cover the deficit in the budget for Suffolk Transit.

The County Legislature is term limited, I know the County Executive is termed limited but I'm not aware of the Legislature.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you have to go out you might as well make a mark on what you do as chair of a transportation committee, and to be fair this has/is Sniderman's landmark per se. Regardless, we should know something within the next week or so about it, most definitely before the fares are raised in May.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Well if you have to go out you might as well make a mark on what you do as chair of a transportation committee, and to be fair this has/is Sniderman's landmark per se. Regardless, we should know something within the next week or so about it, most definitely before the fares are raised in May.

But if the addtion of Sunday Service has nothing to do with the fare increase, then why do you expect to hear something before May 1st?

More likely you would hear something when ever the million dollars shows up, otherwise the talk about Sunday Service may lead riders to think that the fare increase will do something that it isn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

But if the addtion of Sunday Service has nothing to do with the fare increase, then why do you expect to hear something before May 1st?

More likely you would hear something when ever the million dollars shows up, otherwise the talk about Sunday Service may lead riders to think that the fare increase will do something that it isn't.

Because according to the Newsday article I posted earlier: Schneiderman plans to introduce the bill to expand the Sunday Service for up to 15 lines year round at the next Legislative meeting on April 24th. He does expect resistance and issues regarding the aid, but believes this is a service "we should've been providing all along". The article also points out the Tri-State Transportation Campaign is aggressively lobbied for this to "get more for their increased transportation costs". I wouldn't be surprised to find out the that Public Works committee meeting as well today doesn't have something in it, as their agenda for the day looks rather light.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Because according to the Newsday article I posted earlier: Schneiderman plans to introduce the bill to expand the Sunday Service for up to 15 lines year round at the next Legislative meeting on April 24th. He does expect resistance and issues regarding the aid, but believes this is a service "we should've been providing all along". The article also points out the Tri-State Transportation Campaign is aggressively lobbied for this to "get more for their increased transportation costs". I wouldn't be surprised to find out the that Public Works committee meeting as well today doesn't have something in it, as their agenda for the day looks rather light.

If they use the aid for Sunday Service, I'm sure Albany won't mind.

I like how Schneiderman makes it seem like Sunday Service could have been provided since the system was started, when history has shown that when SCT was started there were problems, and then as the years went on they kept having budget problems. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, I'm not sure how that apply's to this situation, but its just something to keep an eye on.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

I like how Schneiderman makes it seem like Sunday Service could have been provided since the system was started, when history has shown that when SCT was started there were problems, and then as the years went on they kept having budget problems. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, I'm not sure how that apply's to this situation, but its just something to keep an eye on.
Can you really fault him or anyone related to running SCT when the #1 complaint they get is the lack of service on Sunday? By that standard you seem like the same people who were advocating for MTA to run SCT and make it the extension of LI Bus. Just look how well things are going in Nassau. The one time I went to DPW committee meeting, a speaker had gotten 1000+ signatures for Sunday Service and that guy wasn't able to speak well and was in a motorized wheelchair to boot. Speaking of which, frankly I'm surprised there has been more made about one of Bellone's stop gap measures, by raising SCAT fares.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Can you really fault him or anyone related to running SCT when the #1 complaint they get is the lack of service on Sunday? By that standard you seem like the same people who were advocating for MTA to run SCT and make it the extension of LI Bus. Just look how well things are going in Nassau. The one time I went to DPW committee meeting, a speaker had gotten 1000+ signatures for Sunday Service and that guy wasn't able to speak well and was in a motorized wheelchair to boot. Speaking of which, frankly I'm surprised there has been more made about one of Bellone's stop gap measures, by raising SCAT fares.

SCAT fare by law can't be more then double the fare for regular bus service, so technically if the regular base fare rises then SCAT fare can rise. That was why Suffolk took so long to form SCAT because at the time they projected the fare for SCAT would be $3.50 cents, which would have been more then double the regular fare of $1.50.

I'm not against Sunday Service, I'm a firm believer of consequences, and if adding Sunday Service isn't done right then in the future it could lead to huge budget problems which could lead to higher fare, and loss of some service or worse no service at all.

For the record, I'm against a MTA takeover of SCT, as their track record with budgets hasn't been very good.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

SCAT fare by law can't be more then double the fare for regular bus service, so technically if the regular base fare rises then SCAT fare can rise. That was why Suffolk took so long to form SCAT because at the time they projected the fare for SCAT would be $3.50 cents, which would have been more then double the regular fare of $1.50.

I'm not against Sunday Service, I'm a firm believer of consequences, and if adding Sunday Service isn't done right then in the future it could lead to huge budget problems which could lead to higher fare, and loss of some service or worse no service at all.

For the record, I'm against a MTA takeover of SCT, as their track record with budgets hasn't been very good.

Well the meeting yesterday for DPW had some discussionabout the raising of SCAT to $4 but in order to do so looks like they have to do the same thing they did with the raising of base fares for the fixed route buses (public hearing, etc.) , so that's not going to happen before summer for sure.
I was also against the MTA takeover of SCT because of I feared it would end up making MTA in control of public transportation from south of the Bee Lines to the forks of the end of the island and hence really too big to address issues.
There wasn't much on Sunday service at this past Tuesday's DPW Committee Meeting (which wasn't on the agenda and from the public speaking portion at the beginning is tough for me to hear from the audio of the meeting, so if I missed it forgive me) , but there's the General Meeting next week where Schneiderman is on record in Newsday of his introducing of the aid from Albany be used for Sunday Service, and along the lines furthering that in the county. DPW's next meeting is on May 1st, the day of the fare increase so I will be surprised if it's quiet on the fare raise or increase service on Sunday in the agenda at that meeting.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Well the meeting yesterday for DPW had some discussionabout the raising of SCAT to $4 but in order to do so looks like they have to do the same thing they did with the raising of base fares for the fixed route buses (public hearing, etc.) , so that's not going to happen before summer for sure.
I was also against the MTA takeover of SCT because of I feared it would end up making MTA in control of public transportation from south of the Bee Lines to the forks of the end of the island and hence really too big to address issues.
There wasn't much on Sunday service at this past Tuesday's DPW Committee Meeting (which wasn't on the agenda and from the public speaking portion at the beginning is tough for me to hear from the audio of the meeting, so if I missed it forgive me) , but there's the General Meeting next week where Schneiderman is on record in Newsday of his introducing of the aid from Albany be used for Sunday Service, and along the lines furthering that in the county. DPW's next meeting is on May 1st, the day of the fare increase so I will be surprised if it's quiet on the fare raise or increase service on Sunday in the agenda at that meeting.

Well $4.00 will be double the the base fare com May 1st, I'm just surprised that they didn't bring up a increase for SCAT when they were talking about raising the base fare. The only reason I can see for not doing it is because they didn't want to piss both SCT and SCAT riders off at the same time.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I can't agree more there, certainly would help to have the near 500K SCAT riders yearly paying 33% more in fares for to help bridge the just under $700K gap, starting May 1st like the rest of the near 6.6 million fixed route riders. If you did take a listen of the meeting you hear someone who uses SCAT advocating for even hirer fares if only to just get 7 day service, which is what I could make out from the audio. I'll probably have to wait for the transcript to be certain.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
^ I can't agree more there, certainly would help to have the near 500K SCAT riders yearly paying 33% more in fares for to help bridge the just under $700K gap, starting May 1st like the rest of the near 6.6 million fixed route riders. If you did take a listen of the meeting you hear someone who uses SCAT advocating for even hirer fares if only to just get 7 day service, which is what I could make out from the audio. I'll probably have to wait for the transcript to be certain.

Well SCAT services would have to be expanded to Sundays if regular bus service is, not county wide unless Sunday Service is introduced County Wide, but in the areas that have Sunday Service I believe.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

Well SCAT services would have to be expanded to Sundays if regular bus service is, not county wide unless Sunday Service is introduced County Wide, but in the areas that have Sunday Service I believe.

Yes, I believe that's what took place last summer out in the forks, as I recall SILO was instrumental in getting word out about that to their members. As long as they were within 3/4 of a mile from a Sunday route they had SCAT every day in the Summer of 2011, except during the late August hurricane in which there was no Sunday service that weekend. I remember the trains not running the Monday after that Hurricane but the buses ran close to schedule.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Yes, I believe that's what took place last summer out in the forks, as I recall SILO was instrumental in getting word out about that to their members. As long as they were within 3/4 of a mile from a Sunday route they had SCAT every day in the Summer of 2011, except during the late August hurricane in which there was no Sunday service that weekend. I remember the trains not running the Monday after that Hurricane but the buses ran close to schedule.

I'm assuming that the 3/4th of a mile for SCAT buses was looked into and found to be a good thing. I remember reading the minutes of some meeting a few years ago where the 3/4 of a mile rule was a big complaint by one SCAT rider and Schneiderman said they would look into that rule.

Yeah the trains were shut for saftey reasons or for some reason, I forget.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

I'm assuming that the 3/4th of a mile for SCAT buses was looked into and found to be a good thing. I remember reading the minutes of some meeting a few years ago where the 3/4 of a mile rule was a big complaint by one SCAT rider and Schneiderman said they would look into that rule.

Yeah the trains were shut for saftey reasons or for some reason, I forget.

I recall reading that as well, if your not careful you can end up spending hours reading those minutes, thankfully there's CTRL+F.
The trains were shut down because they shut down the electricity to the tracks and there was also potential flooding damage. Most of the trains west of major end points are electric and east of them are diesel, but all the switching is electric.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder of the fare raise on May 1st in the following ways:

Full Fare
(One-Way)
$2.00 (up for $1.50)
All bus routes except S92 & 10C

Full Fare
(One-Way) $2.25 (up from $2.00)
Bus routes S92 & 10C

Student Fare
(One-Way)
$1.25 (up from $1.00)
Between ages of 14 to 22 years of age. High School and or College ID required.

Seniors, Disability &
Medicare Care Holders
(One-Way) 75 cents (up from 50 cents)

Transfers remain at 25 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: