BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible fare hikes for Suffolk buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:

No I never seen or met her, but I believe I read about her and her group in a news article where Schneiderman was trumping the end result of the S92 and 10C Sunday Service.

Her group is the only such group on the matter recognized by the Legislator, or so I'm lead to believe.

Well he seemed agitated at her today and I had the unfortunate place of going after her. So I bore some brunt of it as well, because she touched on the some of the same points I was presenting. I did raise the point of several missing signs in my neighborhood, which went without comment on from the committee, which was what I wanted to hear addressed. It's a real shame they have these meetings at times when working 9 to 5 people can't get to them. I'm guess I'm just unlucky enough to work sparingly part time, to get to it myself, this time. Ever attend any of these DPW meetings or either hearing last week?

She probably wasn't agreeing with whatever he wanted, people tend to get that way sometimes.

No I've never been to a hearing, I've been kept busy most days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've realized now fares are going up and I've spent a large amount of time here, well not exactly acknowledging the improvements the bus company has made the past 5 years in services, and usage. I really do like the bike racks, and where available the shelters, and the schedules posted at the stop. Of course to be fair, keeping those schedules up to date where service has changed, has not been a priority, one I can think of is the S33 which fail to list later buses on the route. A number of shelters have been a nice place for wasps to make their homes, that's a suit waiting to happen. What improvements would you say you've actually liked?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
I've realized now fares are going up and I've spent a large amount of time here, well not exactly acknowledging the improvements the bus company has made the past 5 years in services, and usage. I really do like the bike racks, and where available the shelters, and the schedules posted at the stop. Of course to be fair, keeping those schedules up to date where service has changed, has not been a priority, one I can think of is the S33 which fail to list later buses on the route. A number of shelters have been a nice place for wasps to make their homes, that's a suit waiting to happen. What improvements would you say you've actually liked?

I guess all of them, granted I haven't benefited from any of them, I have memorized almost all the schedules of the routes I could possibly need to take and I don't own a bike nor ride one well. Though I know my sisters boy friend has benefited from the bike racks.

Mostly the schedules posted at the stop are at major stops or ones that where transfers can be made, or at least at stops I've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffolk Transit fare increase effective Tuesday, May 01, 2012

1-way, full fare - $2.00
(all SCT bus lines EXCEPT S-92 and 10C)

1-way, full fare for S-92 and 10C - $2.25
(to reflect seasonal Sunday service on these lines)

Student fare - $1.25

1-way seniors, persons w/ disabilities, Medicare card holders - $0.75

Transfer - $0.25
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:

1-way, full fare - $2.00

Student fare - $1.25

Transfer - $0.25

And currently no talk of doing Sunday service to other lines in which a step-up fare with NICE would no longer be needed. Tsk tsk.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

1-way, full fare - $2.00

Student fare - $1.25

Transfer - $0.25

And currently no talk of doing Sunday service to other lines in which a step-up fare with NICE would no longer be needed. Tsk tsk.

Nobody will want Sunday Service if it means another fare increase right now. I don't see Sunday Service being brought up again UNLESS the riders show full support for it and the extra fare increase.

Either that or they rescind the current fare increase when/if they find the money to hold it off and then add Sunday Service, so then there wouldn't need to be another increase and so the fares would be the same (except for the S92 and 10C which would probably see a fare decrease.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

1-way, full fare - $2.00

Student fare - $1.25

Transfer - $0.25

Nobody will want Sunday Service if it means another fare increase right now. I don't see Sunday Service being brought up again UNLESS the riders show full support for it and the extra fare increase.

Either that or they rescind the current fare increase when/if they find the money to hold it off and then add Sunday Service, so then there wouldn't need to be another increase and so the fares would be the same (except for the S92 and 10C which would probably see a fare decrease.

Hmm, for once I think that's actually pretty reasonable. Any word on when the Sunday Service lines are going going to have their seasonal Sunday service restart?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

1-way, full fare - $2.00

Student fare - $1.25

Transfer - $0.25

Hmm, for once I think that's actually pretty reasonable. Any word on when the Sunday Service lines are going going to have their seasonal Sunday service restart?

I think Jimbo said somewhere on here that Sunday Service on the S91 and 10C would start sometime in May.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do you think they held the bus fares steady for so long? Even LI Bus with NYC Transit raised their fares incrementally over the last 20 years.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
So why do you think they held the bus fares steady for so long? Even LI Bus with NYC Transit raised their fares incrementally over the last 20 years.

Because the county was able to fund the system properly, even when costs went up in 2004 because of raising fuel prices and some companies needed more money for other expences (Like ICMC starting a 401k)
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article in Monday's Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-urged-to-use-aid-for-sunday-buses-1.3649510 The gist of this is Sniderman plans to introduce the bill for expansion of Sunday Service this month. Thanks to the State Transportation Operating Assistance, perhaps soon countywide sunday service, by this summer and staying after the summer as well. I know this is similar to what happened in 2003 but it should be noted is this SCT ridership has increased 45% in the ten years between 2000-2010.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
An article in Monday's Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-urged-to-use-aid-for-sunday-buses-1.3649510 The gist of this is Sniderman plans to introduce the bill for expansion of Sunday Service this month. Thanks to the State Transportation Operating Assistance, perhaps soon countywide sunday service, by this summer and staying after the summer as well. I know this is similar to what happened in 2003 but it should be noted is this SCT ridership has increased 45% in the ten years between 2000-2010.

They are better off doing what I though which is to use the state aid to plug the gap (which was said to be the same amount as the aid) but keeping the fare increase for Sunday Service.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

They are better off doing what I though which is to use the state aid to plug the gap (which was said to be the same amount as the aid) but keeping the fare increase for Sunday Service.
Honestly you have to know if it goes through a 25 cent increase above the fare increase on May 1st is going to be instituted on those lines as allowed by the language put forth on the bills last year to bring Sunday service to the S92 and 10C lines, and the budget agreement. And 75 cents or 50% raise on all 2010 fares is quite a bit IMHO, but I believe it's worth it to be on par with NICE, in terms of service and availability. To be fair not every line is going to get it and Sniderman has said so on a number of occasions, but it's also fair to point out not every line on NICE or NYC buses run on Sunday or Saturday for that matter either.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Honestly you have to know if it goes through a 25 cent increase above the fare increase on May 1st is going to be instituted on those lines as allowed by the language put forth on the bills last year to bring Sunday service to the S92 and 10C lines, and the budget agreement. And 75 cents or 50% raise on all 2010 fares is quite a bit IMHO, but I believe it's worth it to be on par with NICE, in terms of service and availability. To be fair not every line is going to get it and Sniderman has said so on a number of occasions, but it's also fair to point out not every line on NICE or NYC buses run on Sunday or Saturday for that matter either.

The language of the bill for this fare increase said it had to be a fair hike in fare, thats why the S92 and 10C is getting a 25 cent raise and not the 50 cent raise like the other lines, because riders said that 50 cent raise on top of the 50 cent raise for Sunday Service wasn't fare. Trust me if the bill was written with out that "clause" I would bet in a heart beat that the fares would be risen to the price of NICE Bus and with no planed benefit for riders.

Yeah, but my way of thinking gets Sunday Service for those few lines the way Sniderman wanted to do it in the first place. And if they do it the way the do most stuff, no rider would be the wiser. These politicians are just thinking about the next election, even if they can bring Sunday Service, it just so riders in their district will vote for them in the next election. I mean banking a whole program on a million dollar aid is not the smartest thing to do.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

The language of the bill for this fare increase said it had to be a fair hike in fare, thats why the S92 and 10C is getting a 25 cent raise and not the 50 cent raise like the other lines, because riders said that 50 cent raise on top of the 50 cent raise for Sunday Service wasn't fare. Trust me if the bill was written with out that "clause" I would bet in a heart beat that the fares would be risen to the price of NICE Bus and with no planed benefit for riders.

Yeah, but my way of thinking gets Sunday Service for those few lines the way Sniderman wanted to do it in the first place. And if they do it the way the do most stuff, no rider would be the wiser. These politicians are just thinking about the next election, even if they can bring Sunday Service, it just so riders in their district will vote for them in the next election. I mean banking a whole program on a million dollar aid is not the smartest thing to do.

There's quite a few homonyms in that last post, and Sniderman is term limited in the next election, but I do get your point. However out east on May 1st it will be the price of a NICE bus and without any Sunday service at the onset on the quarter raise in fare, although like Jimbo said earlier it won't be that long before they do have it. The main thing with Sunday Service is getting it full year round and once that is done, it will be tough to cut it back. I agree that it's not the best to take the aid and use it solely for Sunday Service, because of what I just alluded to, however if it's not done now it might not ever get done considering what happened in 2003 and how those in Albany weren't happy with what they did with it then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: