BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible fare hikes for Suffolk buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
PUBLIC HEARINGS to consider increased fares on SCT bus routes.

Wed., Feb 29, 2012 in Hauppauge, 3PM - 7 PM.
Thurs., March 01, 2012 in Riverhead, 3PM - 7PM.

One-way, full fare for S-92 and 10C (reflects Sunday service) $2.25
One-way, full fare for all other SCT routes $2.00
Student fare (all routes) $1.25
One-way seniors, etc. (all routes) $0.75
Transfer (all routes) $.025

Pending the outcome of these public hearings, the proposed bus fares would be scheduled to take effect on Tues, May 01, 2012.
At these hearings those that come will also be allowed to talk about some Sunday Service, as it was confirmed to me by someone I spoke with at SCT.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just boosting up this thread because tomorrow is the start of the 2 public hearings on this.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Just boosting up this thread because tomorrow is the start of the 2 public hearings on this.

For some reason I thought one of the hearings was today, it was probably because I was up all night watching the Daytona 500.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

For some reason I thought one of the hearings was today, it was probably because I was up all night watching the Daytona 500.

Ha! The days do seem to blur if you are up that late. While I was there, the place was maybe a quarter full, but then again I was the only person with prepared remarks at Hauppauge's meeting. There may have been more who came but I had to leave rather quick and I hope to get the minutes at some point, from both meetings.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Ha! The days do seem to blur if you are up that late. While I was there, the place was maybe a quarter full, but then again I was the only person with prepared remarks at Hauppauge's meeting. There may have been more who came but I had to leave rather quick and I hope to get the minutes at some point, from both meetings.

Really a quarter full, then by the time News 12 was there most people had probably left because they showed footage from the meeting and it looked like hardly anyone was there. (unless they didn't show actually footage but just stock footage)

There were probably less speakers because either everyone was for a fare increase, or because some were like me and know that the fare increase will go through no matter what. The only thing in my mind that could change is the amount that it will be increased. I mean they wrote a amendment in the budget that says the fare has to be raised. The only thing they didn't say was by how much it could be raised. These hearing are probably just to see if the riders think that a .50 cent fare increase is reasonable. If many riders come against a .50 cent increase then you'll probably see them drop it to something lower, though not lower the .25 cents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I was being generous on the quarter filled estimate. The guy leading the meeting (Gerry I think) said the bulk of those requesting time was in Riverhead.
My gut feeling was and it was shared by a majority at the meeting was: Why not have it later in the evening or on a weekend?
Obviously there's logistics of such a meeting and allow for travel by bus, but still the meeting I attended has bus lines that run past it until at least 8PM and some even later. I would have preferred the Riverhead one because I had no other plans for this evening, however there was no way I reasonably could get westbound via Public Transit after the scheduled end of that meeting to get back to my handle sake town. All that added up is why I will be relentless in trying to get the minutes from the meetings held, which I was told I could get if requested.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Acting Director Transportation Operations is named Garry Lenberger, could that have been the guy who lead the meeting?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News 12 just reported that Governor Cuomo has one million dollars in the state budget for Suffolk Transit.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was who I was talking about Garry Lenberger, I got it wrong, my mistake.
And I also saw that piece on Cuomo's $1Mil budget to SCT. If the Committee of Public Works continues to push the fare increase if this budget amount goes through, then you could see Bellone veto it, or there may be Sunday Service attached to it to avoid such a veto. There probably isn't the votes to over ride such a veto if fare increases aren't necessary.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Yes that was who I was talking about Garry Lenberger, I got it wrong, my mistake.
And I also saw that piece on Cuomo's $1Mil budget to SCT. If the Committee of Public Works continues to push the fare increase if this budget amount goes through, then you could see Bellone veto it, or there may be Sunday Service attached to it to avoid such a veto. There probably isn't the votes to over ride such a veto if fare increases aren't necessary.

I don't Ballone has a choice, I mean its written into the budget that a fare increase will happen. The only reason he could possibly veto it for, would because he felt that a .50 cent increase is unreasonable. I mean its not like there is another way currently to plug the hole that would be left by not enacting a fare increase in the current budget.

The million will probably be added to the budget after the current budget runs out in six months and Ballone has to make his own budget, or like ten years ago added after a few months and the money gained used to help cover Suffolk's costs of ST (Just like ten years ago).
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm probably being hopeful then, but that's just me: always the optimist. But however the realist, I am under the impression living here virtually my whole life that this place (Suffolk County) just isn't optimal for getting around via the public transit systems available, but it's what we got. At least we aren't dealing with the service cuts Nassau is.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Well I'm probably being hopeful then, but that's just me: always the optimist. But however the realist, I am under the impression living here virtually my whole life that this place (Suffolk County) just isn't optimal for getting around via the public transit systems available, but it's what we got. At least we aren't dealing with the service cuts Nassau is.

Don't get me wrong, I would like Ballone to veto the fare increase all together as well, and probably would have said the same thing if it wasn't for that one fact.

You know it was addressed back when Suffolk Transit was created that due to the size of the county that bus service couldn't be done like it is in Nassau or the city. I've stressed that many times on other sites, though nobody seems to listen. They think that just because times have changed that everything has to change, and normally with most things that is true, but sometimes there are a few things that can't be changed.

Also Suffolk until 2004 only had to pay like $7 million into Suffolk Transit, the amount they had to pay went up to the current roughly $24 million, not only because gas prices kept raising at the time, and insurance costs for the companies went up, but because in 2004 ICMC had started a 401k plan.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I would like Ballone to veto the fare increase all together as well, and probably would have said the same thing if it wasn't for that one fact.

You know it was addressed back when Suffolk Transit was created that due to the size of the county that bus service couldn't be done like it is in Nassau or the city. I've stressed that many times on other sites, though nobody seems to listen. They think that just because times have changed that everything has to change, and normally with most things that is true, but sometimes there are a few things that can't be changed.

Also Suffolk until 2004 only had to pay like $7 million into Suffolk Transit, the amount they had to pay went up to the current roughly $24 million, not only because gas prices kept raising at the time, and insurance costs for the companies went up, but because in 2004 ICMC had started a 401k plan.

I do understand and it seems as if Schneiderman is dead set on these fare increases anyway, without much in regard to a rise in service. And the fact that there's no way going forward to stop the fares from raising means that much of last week was for show, mainly. Also I happened to cross paths with and finally put the name to the face of Pat Lenehan. She had come up a number of times while reading the minutes of the DPW meetings. She's the chair of the Independent Transportation Advisory Committee (like the straphangers union in NYC), and she's really tough on the DPW committee, which today at the meeting I got to see live instead of just reading about it. Wondering if you met or seen her at a bus stop?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

I do understand and it seems as if Schneiderman is dead set on these fare increases anyway, without much in regard to a rise in service. And the fact that there's no way going forward to stop the fares from raising means that much of last week was for show, mainly. Also I happened to cross paths with and finally put the name to the face of Pat Lenehan. She had come up a number of times while reading the minutes of the DPW meetings. She's the chair of the Independent Transportation Advisory Committee (like the straphangers union in NYC), and she's really tough on the DPW committee, which today at the meeting I got to see live instead of just reading about it. Wondering if you met or seen her at a bus stop?

No I never seen or met her, but I believe I read about her and her group in a news article where Schneiderman was trumping the end result of the S92 and 10C Sunday Service.

Her group is the only such group on the matter recognized by the Legislator, or so I'm lead to believe.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I never seen or met her, but I believe I read about her and her group in a news article where Schneiderman was trumping the end result of the S92 and 10C Sunday Service.

Her group is the only such group on the matter recognized by the Legislator, or so I'm lead to believe.

Well he seemed agitated at her today and I had the unfortunate place of going after her. So I bore some brunt of it as well, because she touched on the some of the same points I was presenting. I did raise the point of several missing signs in my neighborhood, which went without comment on from the committee, which was what I wanted to hear addressed. It's a real shame they have these meetings at times when working 9 to 5 people can't get to them. I'm guess I'm just unlucky enough to work sparingly part time, to get to it myself, this time. Ever attend any of these DPW meetings or either hearing last week?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: