BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible fare hikes for Suffolk buses
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Possible fare hikes for Suffolk buses Reply with quote

With the new administration coming in, I'm curious as to how the forum feels about the rumors of higher fares, and if there's any movement on the Sunday service. Anyone have a definitive answer, why is it that Suffolk citizens are the only county in the tri-state area without year round Sunday service? As I've stated on here before I'm all for a higher fare if we get Sunday service, but I've often wondered why they didn't use main lines for it in the first place. The talk doesn't seem promising. With that I'll open it up to the forum.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Possible fare hikes for Suffolk buses Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
With the new administration coming in, I'm curious as to how the forum feels about the rumors of higher fares, and if there's any movement on the Sunday service. Anyone have a definitive answer, why is it that Suffolk citizens are the only county in the tri-state area without year round Sunday service? As I've stated on here before I'm all for a higher fare if we get Sunday service, but I've often wondered why they didn't use main lines for it in the first place. The talk doesn't seem promising. With that I'll open it up to the forum.

I know back when Suffolk Transit was formed, it was seen as unfeasible to have 24 hour service because of the size of Suffolk, I'm not sure about why there is no Sunday Service but I can only guess that maybe the private companies didn't run on Sundays or maybe because most people only went to Church then stayed home afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

Sitting in the Hauppauge Industrial Park, Friday afternoon I stumbled upon others waiting at a stop on Oser Ave. They stated that a bus line was being taken over and that fares were increasing Jan. 3rd to $2. Could someone please clarify this? At first blush I thought they were talking about LI Bus becoming NICE, but then they were insistant that this was the Suffolk buses. I'm terribly confused.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the county budget that was just passed there was a amendment that called for bus fare increase of .50 cents, or basically some routes will be cut because the DPW has a 1 million shortfall. Last I heard though that Legislator Scheiderman wanted to get that lowered to a .25 cents increase.

I haven't heard when its suppose to be implemented though, there is nothing on Suffolk Transit's website, which I'm sure if its starting on Jan 3 there would be by now

I have heard from a friend that talked to some bus drivers that all of CBS Lines routes will be taken over by Suffolk Bus Corp, and all of Inter County's routes will be taken over by EBT. That will start Jan 3rd since there is no service Jan 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I had heard there was some merging of bus companies. I'm surprised Newsday didn't have anything on the fare increase in it or at least in the editorials. I had Cooper as my rep, now I believe it's Spencer (his election was 1 of the squeakers). I guess I'll have to get on the phone and have my voice be heard. Thanks!
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Ok I had heard there was some merging of bus companies. I'm surprised Newsday didn't have anything on the fare increase in it or at least in the editorials. I had Cooper as my rep, now I believe it's Spencer (his election was 1 of the squeakers). I guess I'll have to get on the phone and have my voice be heard. Thanks!

Newsday had mention when the budget was being decided, but nothing else, which makes me believe that nothing will happen yet. I'm guessing that any fare hike will happen when ever the budget will take effect, but thats just my guess.

The companies aren't merging, they just lost their routes and probably will be going out of business.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is at last in Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-bus-fares-to-rise-in-spring-1.3431913 Well I'm glad I stocked up and may again stock up on bus tokens/tickets. I'd advise those who use SCT to do so now before they announce a date.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Well here it is at last in Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-bus-fares-to-rise-in-spring-1.3431913 Well I'm glad I stocked up and may again stock up on bus tokens/tickets. I'd advise those who use SCT to do so now before they announce a date.

I thought SCT stopped excepting Bus Tokens, or was that just NYC bus tokens they stopped accepting?
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

I thought SCT stopped excepting Bus Tokens, or was that just NYC bus tokens they stopped accepting?

NYC/LI Buses are the ones that stopped using them at the end of 2003. SCT still uses them, heck go check out ebay, one guy on there sells in bulk, albeit at the current face value.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

NYC/LI Buses are the ones that stopped using them at the end of 2003. SCT still uses them, heck go check out ebay, one guy on there sells in bulk, albeit at the current face value.

Effective Monday, April 14, 2003

Suffolk County Transit
Will no longer accept
New York City Tokens
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Suffolk County Transit
Will no longer accept
New York City Tokens

Ha! Wrong type of token, I meant as in Suffolk's own. Try this type of which I was referring to:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Suffolk County Transit
Will no longer accept
New York City Tokens

Ha! Wrong type of token, I meant as in Suffolk's own. Try this type of which I was referring to:

I had asked if it was NYC tokens that they had stopped accepting or if it was all types of tokens. I don't want to point fingers but you could have said that SCT still accepts county tokens, which I never knew they had.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Suffolk County Transit
Will no longer accept
New York City Tokens

I had asked if it was NYC tokens that they had stopped accepting or if it was all types of tokens. I don't want to point fingers but you could have said that SCT still accepts county tokens, which I never knew they had.

Yes I could have been more clear, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I was not aware that you weren't aware of the SCT tokens, but thinking about this, it's likely general knowledge about them is limited for 2 reasons: 1. They are distributed freely up to a certain amount to those who go through public county services for the disadvantaged, physically and mentally ill, unemployed, or poor and 2. There's some rule against trading or selling them period, but it's not enforced, unless it's blatant like in front of a driver. Even that 2nd point is tough to enforce or even make illegal when there's no way to account for them (unlike SCT tickets which are numbered) and there is interstate or international commerce, like eBay. SCT Tickets though on the other hand are easily and widely available, and legally sellable, if you are buying them and aren't receiving them for free. If you would like the address or number for that, let me know. Warning though, if you buy from the county it's face value, i.e. there is no discount unlike the HART ticket books, or HART unlimited-use monthly passes.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:
Commackbustaker wrote:

Suffolk County Transit
Will no longer accept
New York City Tokens

Yes I could have been more clear, I apologize for the misunderstanding. I was not aware that you weren't aware of the SCT tokens, but thinking about this, it's likely general knowledge about them is limited for 2 reasons: 1. They are distributed freely up to a certain amount to those who go through public county services for the disadvantaged, physically and mentally ill, unemployed, or poor and 2. There's some rule against trading or selling them period, but it's not enforced, unless it's blatant like in front of a driver. Even that 2nd point is tough to enforce or even make illegal when there's no way to account for them (unlike SCT tickets which are numbered) and there is interstate or international commerce, like eBay. SCT Tickets though on the other hand are easily and widely available, and legally sellable, if you are buying them and aren't receiving them for free. If you would like the address or number for that, let me know. Warning though, if you buy from the county it's face value, i.e. there is no discount unlike the HART ticket books, or HART unlimited-use monthly passes.

Thats ok, I didn't even know that SCT had tickets either.
Commackbustaker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding the local buses on and off for 10 yrs now, I have to say though the first time I heard about any of the local tokens or tickets was from the HART bus site: http://town.huntington.ny.us/department_details.cfm?ID=37 Apparently the tokens for SCT are in production for almost 30 yrs now. The tickets I'm not too sure about, however you have to order them in multiples of 50 and either pay by check and have them mailed to you or go after two days after ordering them in person on a M-F and pick them up and pay check or exact full amount in dollars and coins. They come in 2 varieties: transfer tickets and full fare tickets. I've never been able to use all of the regular tickets with the transfer hence some of the transfer tix have been left over, but watch it some drivers are sticking to the notion that you need both to get a transfer, which is wrong. You can always buy a transfer with a quarter and a full fare tix, but the opposite isn't true, as you must have the full fare tix to use the transfer tix as it says it right on the tix. I don't have images of them and can't find them online. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: