BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'MSBA # EX 1000'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: 'MSBA # EX 1000' Reply with quote

I would suppose that this piece belongs in 'GM New Look Oddities' in another thread but it is 'home town' to so many of us that I thought it to be more fitting under Long Island.

Pictured in two poses is fleet # EX 1000 - a 1962 model that started life as a TDH 5302 carrying fleet # 428 for the Schenck Transportation Company, Inc., of Floral Park, New York but was transferred to the Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority (MSBA) in 1973 clearly showing its post takeover MSBA livery, and the fact that it has been very skillfully cut down to a 30 passenger capacity.

I can't tell you exactly when or by whom the surgery was performed except to say that EX 1000 had originally been renumbered by MSBA as 474 which may indicate that the alteration occurred after its acquisition by the Authority.

Of note is the elimination of both the rear and emergency doors and the fact that EX 1000 was in use as a 'Free Goodwill' Mini Bus at the time the images were captured.

Photos courtesy of eBay.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long MSBA intended to keep the bus. Look at the "EX1000". Seems to have been letters/numbers from a hardware store and not painted.

Wonder if the "EX" stood for experimental since this could have been a Frankenbus.
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that too. The EX1000 is on the sides (above the KO in Kodachrome) as well as on the front. Great photos!

Frankie
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they cut it down to 30ft?

Also is it my imagination or did MSBA inherit 30ft buses or cut another bus to 30ft?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

I can't tell you whether MSBA inherited any short or shortened buses in its acquisitions or if EX 1000 was the only one that they altered merely because I can find no records dealing with those facts.

It was not uncommon for bus companies to shorten buses for special purposes - as example; AC Transit of Oakland, California shrank ten TDH 4517's for use as downtown Dial-A-Ride shopping mall shuttles (see how it was done below).

Years ago, the Hudson Body Works, of Hoboken, New Jersey was well known for cut downs in the Northeast and EX 1000 could well have been one of their jobs which could have been precipitated by a horrific accident.

Enjoy Jim Husing's photos via NorCal Bus Fans.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Free-transfer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topics has been covered before, but I just can't find any pictures in the gallery or any of my hard drives to supplement the MSBA shortened bus issue. I've seen about 1 dozen pictures of several MSBA shorties at one the Nassau Yards. I'm thinking this bus was renumbered 100.

I'm sure you remember the discussion about the GBL RTS shorty a few years back. This bus was only used on the Q-9 and Q-9a.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

I swear I saw a picture of a MSBA bus that looked like the bus in the picture above, but I can't remember for the life of me where it was.

I heard that Suffolk Transit retrofitted some of their buses that they retired in 1993 for their first Para-Transit buses. I don't know if they mean the 1981 New Fylers, or if they retired other buses that year like the 1982 Chance RT50's or if they had any GM New Looks at that time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
I'm sure you remember the discussion about the GBL RTS shorty a few years back. This bus was only used on the Q-9 and Q-9a.

Very clever. Razz
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Free-transfer wrote:

Very clever. Razz

One thing- I don't think the GBL RTS is real. I will check with somebody who would know later.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:
Free-transfer wrote:

Very clever. Razz

One thing- I don't think the GBL RTS is real. I will check with somebody who would know later.

I know it's not real - I meant the Photoshop job is very clever.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
GBL Rebel wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:
Free-transfer wrote:

Very clever. Razz

I know it's not real - I meant the Photoshop job is very clever.

Wow, that RTS was photoshoped, it looks so real.
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ok, I put the pic up as a gag to get Mr.L's reaction, seeing how he posted the famous Surface "left hand drive" bus photo so many times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer,

I did do a double take but I let it go at that because post 60's Green Line is not that familiar to me and I figured that it would have been logical on the Q9 line!

Don't laugh, but there are those that still think Surface 1310 was a right hand drive!

Nice special effect.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay you got me. However, if that bus did exist it would have been good on the Q-9A, not the Q-9. The Q-9 would carry full loads compared to the Q-9A who would carry 20 people, give or take, for the day.
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought....to small for the 9, too much horsepower for the 9a.

I remember a time when the bridge into West Hamilton Beach was being replaced and all Q-11 buses were destinated at Howard Beach, GBL ran a shuttle bus from 101 street and 160th avenue into West Hamilton, due to weight restrictions on the bridge. I'm probably wrong, but remember Ford diesels with ElDorado bodies being used, something like what you would see on an airport shuttle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: