BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S92 Bus stops in Southampton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apostrophe27

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: S92 Bus stops in Southampton Reply with quote

I'm trying to find out the actual addresses of the S92 bus stops in Southampton. The schedule doesn't list any cross streets. I'm mainly interested in the stop in the village, but I'm also wondering where the Hayground stop is.

Here's the schedule:
http://www.sct-bus.org/links/schedules/s92.pdf

I've tried a few other forums and haven't gotten the answer yet, and I've tried calling SCT but the phone is always busy.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Southampton in four years, but it appears that the S92 running towards East Hampton goes south on Main Street and makes a left turn (east) onto Hampton Road. Google Street View (lacking a date) seems to show a bus stop immediately after the bus turns left. Please be aware that the bus then leaves Hampton Road for a brief detour via Southampton Hospital. When I visited the hospital often ten years ago, I was please to see that it had a bus stop for the very useful S92.
----
Towards Riverhead, I think I see a bus stop also at the corner of Hampton Road and Main Street.
----
I'm glad you used the word Village, because the Town of Southampton is much larger than the village. The Town Hall happens to be in the Village, to make things confusing.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Google maps are about a few years old I believe, I know when I look up my address on Google Maps it shows my old neighbors vehicles. And the old neighbors moved out about 4 or so years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
apostrophe27

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it finally makes sense. For some reason, I didn't realize that was Hampton Road. On the schedule it does look like the stop is at the corner of Hampton and Main. That seems to be where the transfer point is with the 8A. It turns out that's only a block away from where I'm going.

Since it goes past the hospital, I assume there is a stop there, yet it's not listed on the schedule. I don't understand how people are supposed to know that, since it's not on the schedule. I've been looking at other routes too, and a lot of the seem to be incomplete like that in some manner.

As far as the town vs village, it really irks me when people can't understand the difference between a village or hamlet and the town. And that's basically the case with all the east end towns.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time, many streetcar or bus lines in our country operated with no signs at the stops. The vehicle would stop at each intersection, or wherever the telegraph pole had a painted white stripe. Bus route numbers at bus stops came to New York City about 1965. At least, the county bus system in Suffolk posts signs giving the route number and the destination. Otherwise, strangers might not know which side of the street to stand on.
----
My frequent visits to Southampton Hospital were by car. I knew the S92 was there because I saw the bus stop signs.
----
Neither Suffolk nor Nassau maps indicated every stop on every line. In the U.S., that sort of map is rare. I have seen European transit maps showing every bus stop of a route. The New York MTA does indicate the Limited bus stops on its borough maps. See the B44 Limited on this Brooklyn map, for example.
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
I haven't been to Southampton in four years, but it appears that the S92 running towards East Hampton goes south on Main Street and makes a left turn (east) onto Hampton Road. Google Street View (lacking a date) seems to show a bus stop immediately after the bus turns left. Please be aware that the bus then leaves Hampton Road for a brief detour via Southampton Hospital. When I visited the hospital often ten years ago, I was please to see that it had a bus stop for the very useful S92.
----
Towards Riverhead, I think I see a bus stop also at the corner of Hampton Road and Main Street.
----
I'm glad you used the word Village, because the Town of Southampton is much larger than the village. The Town Hall happens to be in the Village, to make things confusing.

I'm about five minutes form the Village so here's the direct routing:

To East Hampton via Southampton:

- right onto North Sea Rd off of Sunrise Hwy (NY 27/CR 39)
- right onto Windmill Lane
- left onto Nugent St (transfer to the 10A)
- CROSSING Main St and Nugent St becomes Hampton Rd
- passing by Town Hall in the Village (yeah "N4 Jamaica" real confusing) and makes a right onto Little Plains Rd
***Town Hall is a BIG area and the parking lot is on Little Plains Rd.***
- left turn onto Meeting House Rd and passes by Southampton Hospital
- left turn onto Old Town Rd
- right turn back onto Hampton Rd and then straight towards East Hampton.

To Riverhead and Orient Point...just read above backwards.

Hope that gives you a better routing of Soutampton Village.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: