BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM NEW LOOK ODDITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen at its company facility sometime in 1995 is fleet # 122 - a 1967 45 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDM-4519 and one of three likenesses numbered from 121 to 123 operating for the Greenfield/Montague Transit Area (GMTA) of Greenfield, Massachusetts.

The oddity here is, of course, the very tasteful and professional updating of the lower portion of the front clip including more modern headlamps and a shock absorbing water filled rubber bumper (it is very much like what GM might have done themselves to jazz up the New Look front end had they continued it in production).

Also of note are the sun shaded lights (one to either side of the destination sign) which were probably used in school bus operations and the full glass doors for safer turning ability.

BTW; I would say that #122 was still in pretty good shape at the age of 28!

GMTA served a route between the Springfield adjacent towns of Greenfield and Montague until 2006 when the Franklin Regional Transit Authority assumed the service as part of an expansion that included forty suburban communities.

Photo courtesy of 'windsor74' and is available on eBay as item # 371101554586.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbowl styling never really goes out of style, does it?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With great appreciation the following presentation is brought to us for the most part by our learned colleagues North of the border at Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board.

Shown at a bus terminal somewhere within the environs of Strathcona County in central Alberta, Canada is fleet #904 - a GMDD 45 passenger TDH 4519 built sometime between 1963 and 1968 and originally purchased by Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) of Hamilton, Ontario but sold to Strathcona County Transit (SCT) in the early nineties.

Of note, of course, are the customized front and rear clips and for that story I'll turn the microphone over to the our friends up north;

"Strathcona County Transit took delivery of #904 sometime around 1994 and it is believed to have been an ex HSR TDH-4519, rebuilt by Paling with both a 'Classic' style rear end and an updating of the lower front clip among other alterations.

#904 was destined for a Quebec system which never made payments on it and was subsequently repossessed by Paling and then sold to SCT who eventually transferred it to the Strathcona County Fire Department where it is still in operation."

Strathcona County is a specialized municipality in central Alberta, Canada between Edmonton and Elk Island National Park.

Credit within images.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in from our friends in Canada;

Greenfield/Montague Transit Area (GMTA) #122 (seen again below) was rebuilt by the Midwest Bus Rebuilding Corporation of Owosso, Michigan at a cost of $ 251,277 which included a completely new interior.

The price seems awfully expensive when you consider that for the same money you could buy a brand new bus back in the nineties so I think its possible that the it reflected similar work on siblings 121 and 123 although the builder does not indicate that.

Thanks to 'Seashore518203 of CPTDB for the infor.

Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I have shown a number of oddities in the past that I called the oddest of the odd but this one takes the cake!

Seen at an Alameda-Contra Transit District (A/C Transit) facility in Oakland, California is fleet #311 - a 1964/1986 GM/Flyer coach still modeled as a TDH-5304 and originally purchased as such among 65 siblings numbered from 300 and 364 delivered in increments between 1963 and 1966.

The oddity here is the fact that while the lower portion of the body and the front and rear clips are still recognizable as almost pure GM, the upper section or top half comes from a 40 foot 1986 Flyer model.

It's difficult to determine what brought this 'odd couple' arrangement about except to say that both buses may have suffered damages and what was left of each complemented the other (but that's just a wild guess!).

Of note are the updated roof corner markers, headlamps, diamond shaped stops lights and custom built rear quarter windows.

Photos courtesy of '90mac' and are available at eBay as items 1114203057457 and 111420305596 respectively.

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, another Frankenbus !
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken in October of 1988 by photographer Rob Hutchinson on West Beaver Creek Road at Pollard Street in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada is fleet # 7526 - a 1975 45 passenger GMDD coach modeled as a T6H-4523N and operating for York Region Transit (YRT) of that North of the border city.

What is unusual about this bus, which was purchased used from Brampton Transit, is that although it is in transit configuration it was ordered sans standee glasses and the usual decorative aluminum panel that would have replaced them - the absence of transoms in this case was probably to accommodate parcel racks for charter work and the absence of the molding certainly makes # 7526 look a bit odd.

York Region Transit operates the transit service in the area of York, north of Toronto and its services include the City of Vaughan, and at least eight surrounding municipalities which were all amalgamated under the York Region flag in January 2001 with operations and funding controlled by that entity.

Some information culled from Wikipedia.

Photo courtesy of 'omicrondelta' and is available at eBay as item # 221513434799.

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I know that I have shown a number of oddities in the past that I called the oddest of the odd but this one takes the cake!

Seen at an Alameda-Contra Transit District (A/C Transit) facility in Oakland, California is fleet #311 - a 1964/1986 GM/Flyer coach still modeled as a TDH-5304 and originally purchased as such among 65 siblings numbered from 300 and 364 delivered in increments between 1963 and 1966.

The oddity here is the fact that while the lower portion of the body and the front and rear clips are still recognizable as almost pure GM, the upper section or top half comes from a 40 foot 1986 Flyer model.

It's difficult to determine what brought this 'odd couple' arrangement about except to say that both buses may have suffered damages and what was left of each complemented the other (but that's just a wild guess!).

Of note are the updated roof corner markers, headlamps, diamond shaped stops lights and custom built rear quarter windows.

Photos courtesy of '90mac' and are available at eBay as items 1114203057457 and 111420305596 respectively.

If I am not mistaken either ST or QT or successors, had a Fishbowl in the orange and cream livery with these windows. Don''t know whether it came that way from the factory or was a rebuild. Perhaps another poster can fill in the details.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HartBus wrote;

If I am not mistaken either ST or QT or successors, had a Fishbowl in the orange and cream livery with these windows. Don''t know whether it came that way from the factory or was a rebuild. Perhaps another poster can fill in the details.

ECA,

Are you sure your thinking GM or the ten AM Generals that Steinway bought (and didn't keep very long) which had very similar window treatment as seen below.

Credit with frame.

Regards,

WCA

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was this bus converted to accommodate parcel racks for charter work, but note the elaborate roof rack at the rear to carry extra baggage. The brickwork is absolutely unique!

(Gosh, how I love optical illusions!)

Frankie
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: I know I was not thinking of ST/QT's AM General. Give me time until the weekend when I will look through my disorganized pictures, before conceding that I am losing my mind!

ECA
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA:

I now know that I am not crazy or senile. In the late Joe Saitta's 1996 Metro NY area Mega Bus Calendar, Week 14 (3/31-4/6) is a picture of QT bus 324 with the square windows as metioned.

According to the caption, it was a 1981 Canadian built TDH-53in 01. It was rebuilt in and used the GMC Classic Style windows. Picture taken By Joe Saitta at College Point on 2/24/87.

If someone can tell me how to insert it in a future post, I can scan it and follow the directions.

ECA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
WCA:

I now know that I am not crazy or senile. In the late Joe Saitta's 1996 Metro NY area Mega Bus Calendar, Week 14 (3/31-4/6) is a picture of QT bus 324 with the square windows as metioned.

According to the caption, it was a 1981 Canadian built TDH-53in 01. It was rebuilt in and used the GMC Classic Style windows. Picture taken By Joe Saitta at College Point on 2/24/87.

If someone can tell me how to insert it in a future post, I can scan it and follow the directions.

ECA

ECA,

That's very interesting and you sure could have fooled me!

You'd think that such a rarity would have been shown among the many photos in the April/June 2007 issue of Motor Coach Age dealing exclusively with Queens Surface.

Have your local printer scan the image to me by email and I'll set it up and show it for you - that's the easiest way!

Many regards,

WCA
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA;

Scan sent to you at 6:45 EDT, 3:45 PST (your time)

ECA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
WCA;

Scan sent to you at 6:45 EDT, 3:45 PST (your time)

ECA

ECA,

Received, processed and posted below with all credit due you and my apologies for questioning your memory.

Details captioned within frame although I believe that Mr. Saitta has mistaken the model; records show that #324 was originally purchased by Steinway Transit Corp. from Pontiac Michigan as a 'GM' model T6H-5306A in 1969 and was transferred to commonly owned Queens Transit Corp. in 1985.

I'm inclined to agree with the records because production of the 5301 series both in the U.S. and Canada ended in 1962.

Best regards and thanks,

WCA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: