BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM NEW LOOK ODDITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who got to sit in the driver seat? LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
I wonder who got to sit in the driver seat? LOL

The driver! Who else?

I would think that the area where the driver sat has been converted for passenger seating.

If you look closely, you will notice passengers sitting high. I'm sure the passenger floor has been raised to accommodate the trailer platform that the bus body sits on. Therefore no interior wheel well interference, however if you look at the passengers in the back, they are facing the aisle at approximate where the original wheel well would have been located. It's apparent they left the original seating arrangement during the conversion process.

Regarding the street side of the bus, we can assume that it has the same setup as the bus below. Center door used for both entrance and egress. Same trailer conversion, but this time using a single ACF-Brill Model C-44.

Frankie

Photo courtesy of Bob Thompson for educational purpose

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

I thought that it was a truck parked in front of the bus!

The tractor trailer bit makes even less sense!

JimmiB,

You're sure right about that overhang - one thing's for certain - it would never have made it on the streets of Manhattan!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

I've brightened your ACF TT so that we can better discern the fifth wheel set-up.

However, in doing so, what appear to be six antennas extending from the passenger windows as are seen in your darker picture have disappeared.

I'm wondering what they were for?

All I can say about the bus is that any passengers wishing to exit via the front door better watch that first step!

BTW; the particular Ford COE series 'C' tractor pulling the bus was a classic in its own rite being the most popular with a production span from 1957 to 1983 in all versions - an industry record.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

frankie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
frankie,

The tractor trailer bit makes even less sense!

Mr. 'L'

Considering the economic situation in today's Cuba, public transportation is extremely important for most citizens especially in Havana where private ownership of cars are only for those who can afford it. And if you've seen photos of Havana's street scene, it's a classic car collector's paradise as you are taken back to the '50's and 60's in today's world.

In most civilized countries, high capacity buses are either made up of double deckers or articulated buses - far more economical than their single bus counterparts. Tractor-trailer buses is Cuba's answer to high capacity buses. Earlier buses as the examples I've shown were home made jobs have proved to be highly successful to the point that today's passenger trailers (called camels for obvious reasons) are now factory produced with power mostly provided by U.S. made units - namely older International COE's and Ford conventionals. Capacity of today's units can hold as many as 200 riders.

Below is a photo of one of today's unit courtesy of Flicker. Sorry that this is a bit off the subject of new look oddities, but I think it's an interesting subject of bus evolution that stems from the intended subject at hand.

For those interesting in seeing photos of these camels, Google "cuba camel bus" and go to images and enjoy those photos. I suggess going one step further to Youtube and enjoying some interesting rare clips of these unique buses. Only in Cuba!

Frankie

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

I just came upon the answer to where our 'Cuban New Look Stretch Coach' and its ilk came from.

About 150 5300's were purchased from the Montreal Transit Corporation (AKA STCUM) in the nineties for about $2500 a piece (pictured below is one of them).

It's easy to see that these were GMDD's with water filled bumpers and the wider rear passenger doors found on most Canadian New Looks.

From this photo, we can also see what our 'Stretch Coach' once looked like especially on the curb side.

Out of the 150 or so that the Cuban IBOA's bought, it's easy to see how they could have had plenty of parts for marriages!

The lower photo shows one just dumped in the street when it couldn't run any more! (never even got a decent burial!).

Photos by Elton McFall.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

gmnewlook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is a 1977 T6H5307N originally to the CTCUM (mow STM) in Montreal and the second one is from CTCRO (today's STO) in Gatineau.

CTCUM= Commission de transport de la Communauté Urbaine de Montréal (Montreal Urban Community Transit Commission)
CTCRO= Commission de transport de la Communauté Régionale de l'Outaouais.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've undoubtedly heard the expression 'Split Shift' but have you ever heard 'Split Bus'? (other than when referring to electrical equipment).

Seen date unknown at a San Francisco Muni facility is fleet # 3816/3057 (depending on which end of the bus you're looking at!).

Apparently, Muni #3057 - a 1969 Model T8H-5305 - seemed to have misplaced almost half of its forward section and, as it happened, NYCTA #3816 - a 1963 Model TDH-5303 - lost the better half of its rear section and 'presto' 'a marriage made in heaven' (a coast to coast romance!).

It appears by the photo that Muni was in a real rush to get 3816/3057 into service and merely gave the front clip a quick spray of white which somehow blended into the roof and left the New York fleet # intact.

I'm sure that the bus was eventually properly repainted to Muni livery.

This is about as good as it gets in the GM New Look Oddity Department!

Photo courtesy of NorCal Bus Fans.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Apparently, Muni #3057 - a 1969 Model T8H-5305 - seemed to have misplaced almost half of its forward section and, as it happened, NYCTA #3816 - a 1963 Model TDH-5303 - lost the better half of its rear section and 'presto' 'a marriage made in heaven' (a coast to coast romance!).

This is about as good as it gets in the GM New Look Oddity Department!

To compliment your photo Mr. L, here's a "before" slide of what I think is 3816 before being mated to MUNI 3057. Of note is the different marker light above the driver's window between this and the so called "marriage" bus which now has 3rd & 4th generation markers. Perhaps MUNI replaced the original?

Another NYCTA in not so good shape lays in front awaiting it's fate.

Enjoy!

Frankie

Slide source unknown, but used for educational purposes.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

Another of your great finds - I don't know how you do it! - thanks so much for sharing everything you come up with!!!

Now I see why our 'hybrid' wound up with a 'GMC' instead of its original 'GM' badge under the windshield.

BTW; a member of another site has informed me that both NYC front clips were used by Muni.

BTW again; I'm just wondering how the builder's plate eventually read after the wedding?

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
frankie,

Another of your great finds - I don't know how you do it! - thanks so much for sharing everything you come up

BTW; I'm just wondering how the builder's plate eventually read after the wedding?

With my love for buses, especially from in and around NYC, I love researching via Google images using different search titles. I've found out a long time ago that there's a lot of little nuggets in the hills of Googleland.

As for builder's plates, I would have used both of them from each bus side by side with one labeled "fore" and the other "aft"! LOL! In reality, we'll never know (for now)?

Frankie
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUNI 3057 was involved in a nasty collision with a gravel truck. That is the reason why it was spliced with NYCTA 3816.

(for a view of the curb side of this bus go to page 118 -
Welcome Aboard the GM New Look Bus by John McKane and Gerald Squier).

In the second photo, the "scrapped" bus in the background is #3816.

BTW, both slides were on EBay sold by seller: 90mac and they were numbers 380673738432 (scrapped buses) and 380673728074 (MUNI 3816/3057)
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Of note is the different marker light above the driver's window between this and the so called "marriage" bus which now has 3rd & 4th generation markers. Perhaps MUNI replaced the original?

It looks like everything forward of the wheel wells is from a third bus. Notice how much brighter the front piece of stainless trim is, and the different front bumper.

What a great find!
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "scrapped" shell in the foreground appears to be NYCTA #3630.

Also note that the tow hooks were moved above the bumper in 3057 while 3816 has them below the bumper the standard location with NYCTA/MaBSTOA.
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd approach this thread a little different by posting the photo first along with the accreditation. This and the following photos courtesy of Jim Husing for education purpose. The is the story of County Transit (Santa Clara) 4633 (and her sisters) as told by Jim himself since no one can explain it better than he.

In the late 1970's the Santa Clara County Transit District had a problem. They were awash in tax payer money, but were short on buses due to expanded service routes. Since new buses from any manufacturer were on back log, officials sent a team of personnel to New Jersey to check out some TDH5302's that TNJ had in storage. When they got to NJ they found a bunch of these 5302's sitting in a field under water up to the windows. The buses had been sitting in a field covered with snow and when the snow melted, water!! Inspite of this the decision was made to lease these buses from NIMCO from December 1978 to October 1979. It was then decided to purchase them. In the first batch came 56 buses numbered 4600-4655 all 1960 and 1961 TDH5302's.

Pictured are 4633 after it was rehabbed with an update front end and head lights and new style front door with all single glass. It was called a JJ Speciall because the person that did the rehab was nicknamed JJ. It was intended to rehab all of the 5302's like 4633, but for some reason that never happened. 4635 shown next to 4633 is how the rest of the 5302's looked with the dip stripe. The front paint scheme of 4633 was patterned after the RTS 1000's that were a cancelled order from AC Transit. This paint break scheme was later painted on the remaining new looks in the fleet. 4633 is ex-TNJ P359 and 4635 is ex-TNJ P319. I remember when these buses arrived. They were all at North Yard in Mountain View and they were in sad shape. It took a year to get some of them in shape to be able to be in service. But once in service, they were work horses and allowed the remaining GM old looks to be retired by early 1980.

The last photo is for comparison purposes only. This is CTSC TDH-4517 #4701 renumbered 6528.

Frankie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: