BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

27 hurt in LIBus / school bus collision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: 27 hurt in LIBus / school bus collision Reply with quote

According to today's Newsday a n/b 31/32 broadsided a minivan on Central
Avenue in Cedarhurst. No serious injuries. There was a 3 way stop sign so it is undetermined as to who had the right of way.

Couldn't tell the bus #d but it was the old Orion's with an orange stripe.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LI Bus 1664.
Photos and description at
http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=245155&p=1#245185
----
The LI Bus was Hempstead-bound on N32. The accident happened in front of St. Joachim's church, Cedarhurst, where, it seems, a stop sign was added since the Google truck took photos. 1664 hit a regular-size bus broadside.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of on topic, I heard that the 7B almost got into an accident with a school bus today. it seems that the school bus ran a red light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that corner on Central Avenue very well and it gets pretty wild when the school day is starting or finishing.

That stop sign must be new because I was there last December and if it were already installed I'd remember it because it would be the first stop sign ever on Central Avenue all the way from the west end of Lawrence through to the Lynbrook line - always been traffic lights only.

Now I'll tell you a little secret; the stop sign shown in the upper photo below facing eastbound traffic on Central is illegal by virtue of the fact that New York State law requires the bottom of the sign to be no less than seven feet from the ground - there's one you could beat in Cedarhurst Court!

In fact, it might help 1664's case if it was that he/she blew the sign and was cited.

Let's hope that what injuries there may have been were only minor.

Photos via Sub Chat.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L, could the village of Cedarhurst have a higher height requirement for stop signs and that is why its higher then the state requires?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

I'm afraid that you don't see what I see!

The sign in question is lower than required specification - not higher!

Again; the bottom of the sign itself must be no less than seven feet off the ground and, unless the couple of people that are standing by the sign in the photo are nine feet tall, that sign is too low.

Also of note is the fact that the sign is 'jumbo' size which does not excuse it from the rules.

Another note; the seven foot rule applies to urban areas with minimum populations far below those of Cedarhurst (a five foot rule is used only in rural areas).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall,

I'm afraid that you don't see what I see!

The sign in question is lower than required specification - not higher!

Again; the bottom of the sign itself must be no less than seven feet off the ground and, unless the couple of people that are standing by the sign in the photo are nine feet tall, that sign is too low.

Also of note is the fact that the sign is 'jumbo' size which does not excuse it from the rules.

Another note; the seven foot rule applies to urban areas with minimum populations far below those of Cedarhurst (a five foot rule is used only in rural areas).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Opps I think I wrote higher by accident.

I thought maybe that Ceaderhurst may have had different rules for Stop signs, because I know that some villages have laws that differ from their county or state.

Maybe it was installed wrong by whoever installed it, surely it wasn't the first time thats happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: