BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mercury Buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Commodore Line was a sightseeing company in and around New York. Here's the same bus from a brochure that's currently on eBay and being that it's in New York City to me gives credence of this bus being a Penn Yan product. I still think that this bus was build by Mercury Aircraft using the Penn Yan name.

Frankie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGHTSEEING-TOURS-NEW-YORK-COMMODORE-LINE-BUS-OLD-RARE-/360300169750
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
I believe that the Commodore Line was a sightseeing company in and around New York. Here's the same bus from a brochure that's currently on eBay and being that it's in New York City to me gives credence of this bus being a Penn Yan product. I still think that this bus was build by Mercury Aircraft using the Penn Yan name.

Frankie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGHTSEEING-TOURS-NEW-YORK-COMMODORE-LINE-BUS-OLD-RARE-/360300169750

As mentioned before, this bus was built by Coachbuilders and Equipment of Bath, NY under the Pen Yan Bus name --- They were not affiliated with or a part of Mercury Aircraft. Also note that according to the Mercury Aircraft hitory, "From 1946 to 1949, a complete transition from aircraft to commercial items took place. A varied line of products such as school buses, -----"

Apparently they only built school buses.

Last edited by schoolbusdriver on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example of a "Penn Yan" bus by Coach and Equipment Mfg.

http://www.coachandequipment.com/safety.htm
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the phone with Traff Daugherty of the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, NY. It has been a while since I have visited there,
but I seemed to remember seeing a model school bus in their museum.
My memory was right on, and guess what -- that model, measuring nearly
5 ft long, is a detailed depiction of a MERCURY BUS, specifically a school bus.

From 1946 -48, Mercury Aircraft produced between 250-300 school buses
utilizing aircraft construction --aluminium and riveted bodies. These were built on Mack and Brockway chassis under the name "MERCURY BUSES". These buses were made in the Penn Yan Buses Division of Mercury Aicraft. They only built school buses.

I also have sent two email inquiries and made one call to Mercury Aircraft.
All remain unanswered. I plan on making the 1 hour trip to Hammondsport to get some pictures of that bus model --- LOOK FOR PICTURES HERE!!!

In the meantime --- found this on FLIKR ----

schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: 1st Pictures on the net --- Mercury Buses Reply with quote

Been a busy morning! Called Mercury Aircraft again and spoke with a VERY helpful young lady named Laura Chandler. She sent me the following photos, minus the one that started this thread ----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14024074@N05/sets/72157627870556234/with/6234324323/

Thanks Frankie --- hope this satisfies the quest.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoolbusdriver.....

Forgive me for not posting any comments.....I am far too busy mopping up the copious amounts of DROOL......(!!) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

EXCELLENT stuff, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Pictures on the net --- Mercury Buses Reply with quote

schoolbusdriver wrote:
Been a busy morning! Called Mercury Aircraft again and spoke with a VERY helpful young lady named Laura Chandler. She sent me the following photos, minus the one that started this thread ----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14024074@N05/sets/72157627870556234/with/6234324323/

Thanks Frankie --- hope this satisfies the quest.

Please note that in the photo from the Museum of Bus Transportation that contains text about Mercury Aircraft buying "Penn Yan Buses", then reselling it in 1948 to Carl Kreutziger who formed Coach and Equipment Mfg -- this is NOT what I was told by a representative of that company. Also, IF this were the case, Mercury would have bought "Penn Yan Bodies" as the company was then known ---- this needs to be verified, and I am working again on that.

"Coach and Equipment Manufacturing Corp. has been building buses in Penn Yan, New York since 1895. Originally under the name of W.H. Whitfield & Sons Body Builders, then Penn Yan Bodies (1928) and finally Coach and Equipment Manufacturing 1948.

So -- NEXT QUESTION -- Was Penn Yan Bodies from 1945 to 1948 what became known as Mercury Buses, Penn Yan Bus Division????

Confusing stuff!!!!

schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that this picture posted by Mr. Linsky in a Brockway Bus thread may be another picture of a Mercury Bus?????

JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go schoolbusdriver !!! Thanks to you we went from looking for a picture of a Mercury bus to having a whole collection. Nice searching.
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
Way to go schoolbusdriver !!! Thanks to you we went from looking for a picture of a Mercury bus to having a whole collection. Nice searching.

Thanks JimmiB -- however this work is not done. There is a discrepancy in the history of Mercury Bus that needs to be corrected.
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There still seems to be a problem with the history of Mercury Buses as is written above. 1st is Penn Yan Buses of Penn Yan, NY never existed. So, if what the writer meant is Penn Yan Bodies of Penn Yan, NY, they were what was to become Coach and Equipment Mfg.

I was again on the phone to Coach and Equipment Mfg. and they assuured me that they (Penn Yan Bodies) were never acquired by Mercury.

The second thing that I find confusing is the supposed sale of the Penn Yan Buses division of Mercury back to Carl Kreutziger. Carl at the time of said sale was the sales representitive for Mercury buses? If this is true, what became of the Penn Yan Buses Division after said sale?

The two things I know for sure according to sources I have spoken to -- Penn Yan Buses did not exist prior to 1945 -48. It was the division name used by Mercury Buses. And, Coach and Equipment Mfg, known as Penn Yann Bodies from 1928 -48 was not a purchased or a part of Mercury -- that from source at Coach and Equipment.
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the following email which I think clarifies my missgivings about the text from the picture I posted about Mercury Buses ---

I have found an old newspaper story with quite a bit of info. I believe it answers your questions.

Whitfield carriage co-bankrupcy in 1933.

Wetmore bought.

Fire destroyed machinery and stock. Leased the old Penn Yan Boat company plant on Liberty St “now specializing in school buses” (unclear to me if Wetmore made buses or Penn Yan Boats). At one time the plant built 80% of buses in NYS. When bus construction was halted during the war, the firm built wooden truck bodies for army. Sept 1945, Mercury Aircraft bought stock and equipment and moved it to Hammondsport, NY

Carl Kreutziger worked for Whitfield from 1928 and had learned his trade as a “trimmer” in Pontiac, Michigan. He became plant superintendent when Wetmore bought place. He worked for Mercury Aircraft when they bought plant. Mercury abandoned this phase of their business in 1947 with unfilled orders of 100 buses. Kreutziger organized Coach and Equip Sales co to fill those orders. Plant was on Champlin Ave. from 1949 until new facitlity at top of Brown St. Ext. was built. They currently operate a beautiful new facility on outskirts of Penn Yan village on RT 14A.

Lisa Harper

Administrative assistant

Yates County Genealogical & Historical Society

So, I was a little off (NOT THE FIRST TIME!!!) The text is accurate.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schoolbusdriver: Thanks for the great effort you put into for getting the information and documentation for this bus. Your time to research this along with correspondences are greatly appreciated and has indeed shed light on what would be considered a very obscured bus body company.

The "Highway Buses" on the builder's plate may have been in their original plans but looked like it never left the drawing board.

Frankie
schoolbusdriver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures of the MERCURY BUS model at the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport.

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my question;

Some of the Mercury School Bus bodies shown above including the Margeson/Wood replica seem to have single window panes sealed in rubber.

Was it that these buses were air conditioned or was there some unique way of opening these windows that is not obvious to us?

BTW; the sealed window jobs really make the bodies look neat!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: