BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'MARTA # 462'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: 'MARTA # 462' Reply with quote

As always, I have my friend and ardent bus memorabilia collector Bruce K. of eBay to thank for the wonderful attachment below.

Seen somewhere (post 1972) in Atlanta Georgia's environs is fleet number 462 - a 1957 GM Coach Model TDH 5105 (ser# 2931) operating for the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) - successor to Atlanta Transit System, Inc.

# 462 and twenty four of its siblings numbered from 443 to 467 were purchased used in 1972 from the Cleveland Transit System in an attempt by newly formed MARTA to scramble for used buses to beef up Atlanta's sagging service.

Of note on # 462 (formerly Cleveland # 1721) are passenger safety split sashes, push open exit doors and a touch of 'Silversides' which is rarely seen divided by a rear door.

New York bus watchers will note the similarity in livery to Queens/Nassau Transit Lines of the same era - a very popular color combination.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
buslist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 'MARTA # 462' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Of note on # 462 (formerly Cleveland # 1725) are passenger safety split sashes, push open exit doors and a touch of 'Silversides' which is rarely seen divided by a rear door.

As posted elsewhere the Cleveland number should be #1721.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'MARTA # 462' Reply with quote

buslist wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

Of note on # 462 (formerly Cleveland # 1725) are passenger safety split sashes, push open exit doors and a touch of 'Silversides' which is rarely seen divided by a rear door.

As posted elsewhere the Cleveland number should be #1721.

So noted and changed - thank you
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, life was not quite over for some of the 5105's that found their way to Atlanta from Cleveland and Columbus as well.

Reports have it that at least four if not more then traveled on to Los Angeles to join the Southern California Rapid Transit District (SCRTD) to help fill in while that authority awaited a shipment of new Flxibles.

I'll tell you one thing about these buses; they sure took a licking and kept on ticking! (slogan borrowed from the Timex Corporation).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Mr.L,
Old Looks were built to last. In 1994 I was driving a 1954 4512 still in regular daily service. How many of todays buses will still be on the road in 2051 ???
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the Timex commercials with John Cameron Swazey.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that some of these went to Cincinnati as well and ran there for a few years until replacment Flxible new looks showed up.

timecruncher
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of a coincidence there. The 4512 that I mentioned in a previous post ended up in the Cincinnati bus museum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: