BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eagle Bus question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Eagle Bus question Reply with quote

I'm sure this is the wrong forum as I couldn't find the correct one to post this question. Anyhow....

Can anyone tell me if the "eagle" emblem found on the front and rear were colored according to whether the bus was a "Silver" or "Golden" Eagle? Anyone know how may Golden Eagles were manufactured?

Thank you!

Frankie
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie -

Within recent past, I have seen a number of excellent sites recalling EAGLE development and history. Reports start
with the early German work, and forward to later "01" and "05" Belgie and Mexican built types...

The true "Golden Eagle" something of a comparatively rare design. Perhaps the sole, true group involved coaches
first used in and around Colorado Springs? In any case, "...The Truth Is Out There..."

..........................Vern....................
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vern. I'm well rehearsed on Eagle buses, but sometimes the devil is in the details and this is one of them. I just wanted to know if "silver" emblems are found on Golden Eagles or were the emblems exclusively gold to match the bus.

Frankie
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie -

With the EAGLES? Such being the case, might we suppose gold trim accents ONLY on earlier German build coaches?

At the time, CONTINENTAL (CTS) running with all sorts of "Premium Service" thinking. It may have been its plan for
"Gold" trim coaches in services on the "FIVE STAR" schedules? Which hints of some "01" types of such appearance?

.........................Vern.......................
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern, here's the reason I'm asking. Perhaps I should have said this from the beginning. As a model bus collector, I also collect bus emblems. I've seen "silver" eagle emblems sold on eBay and never saw one used for the Golden Eagle until the other day. I was fortunate to have won it and was wondering about the rarity of these emblems.

This measures 17 3/4" by 8".

Frankie

traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Golden Eagles did have gold-colored eagle emblems. The early 01 model Golden Eagles were more different from the 01 model Silver Eagles
than the latter year models. The early ones had a nine passenger 'observation' lounge in the rear, that was separated from the assigned seating forward, by the restroom on one side, and the galley on the other. Later models had the restroom and galley in the rear, and a smaller four passenger lounge. The last model 05 Golden Eagles were even closer to the standard Silver Eagles. All of the Golden Eagles featured gold-toned aluminum below the lightning stripe, either gold toned aluminum wheels or gold painted steel wheels. And of course whitewall tires!
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie - Traildriver -

What a superb buy! The GOLDEN EAGLE emblem indeed a "rare bird"! I vaguely recall the single unit,
EAGLE 01 types with the nine passenger lounge at the rear.

Most uncertain I actually saw or rode one in the East. In the area, we had the entry of C T S with its
purchase of SAFEWAY. With latter, its equipment buying resulted in many GM 4104 types, and a later
order of 4106 units. So, use of EAGLE coaches in East came sometime later than initial use on C T S,
"home lines" in CO, OK, TX, other...

.....................Vern....................
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Safeway's first Eagles were 1965 models, the time of CTS purchasing Safeway, VSL, and TNE.
CTS did have earlier Eagles in WAS, BAL, PHL, and NYC, since they were represented in those locales by American Buslines, CTS owned since 1954.

Prior to Safeway getting Golden Eagles, its Five Star Luxury Service's were operated with GM PD4104's and 4106's specially outfitted for that purpose.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildriver -

Agree. Timeline sounds exactly right. The former A B L Operating Certificate most valuable to C T S.
The remarkable A B L "Rights" allowed C T S to serve the East, not dependent on any other TWYS
SYSTEM
Carriers, and - IIRC - thru CGO and STL Gateways...

For myself, as I was resident around BAL until 1961, my travels near entirely on SAFEWAY (STS).
I knew the C T S (A B L) coaches came thru, but I had no need to ride. (On its service lanes, I rode
B & O RR instead. The railroad's Food Service legendary, and excellent. It served adult beverages
while trains in motion, too!)

.......................Vern.....................
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to see a well preserved model 05 Golden Eagle, visit the Museum of Bus Transportation, located in Hershey, Pa. (as well as a fine collection of other buses and busline memorabilia, as part of the antique auto museum).

http://www.busmuseum.org/Overview.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: