BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How tall are the Orions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: How tall are the Orions? Reply with quote

In East Hampton, the 10B uses North Main St which goes under an underpass (LIRR) and the underpass is 10'0". Now I know that Orions are about 11 Ft. I went through the area last night and just noticed that. The one on Accabonac Rd is only 9'9".

How can the bus fit through that? I don't think they rerouted that route to accomdate it.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the S66 passes under a LIRR bridge on South Country Road in Brookhaven which has a clearance of about 10 or so feet and the Orion VII's pass under it with about a foot of clearance from the bridge.

According to the Orion's website a Diesel Orion VII is 129 inches, which is about 10 feet, 75 inches.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help you get an idea of tall the diesels are. The 2007 NYCT HEV Orion VII has a clearance of 11feet 3inches. I don't know if the Next Gen Orion VII is taller or same height.

If I had to guess, I would say 10feet 9inches, as that's what most transit buses were/are.
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for L.I. (even though I lived in Medford for 10 years), but NYC usually posts the clearance for bridges / tunnels from 6 to 12 inches lower than the actual clearance to keep the 18 wheelers (13'6") out. Of course, on some roadways the posted clearance may also be just for the outside and not center lanes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Orion VII heights are as follows:

Diesels: 10' 9"
CNG: 11" 3"
Diesel-Electric Hybrid: 11" 0"

Source: Orion Daimler website

Frankie
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I went by that same intersection again and North Main St is 10' 0" so I'm thinking that the 10B goes under the center portion of the overpass.

Oh and on a side note, a friend of mine told me that if you see a DIAMOND shaped sign that has the height on it...that means that the corner are the exact height and the center is taller than that. If you see a white RECTANGLE shaped sign, that means the height is the same from side-to-side.

So basically that kind of answers my original question. Thanks for everyone who responded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: