BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'EMERGENCY DOORLESS GM OLD LOOKS'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15,

Agreed! - I could never figure that one out myself!

Attached is just what you're talking about in the form of a New Jersey Public Service TDM-4512 #'d M541.

Note that the first set of paired windows behind the driver have a double set of bars as does the single window just aft of the emergency door, but the last full window only has a single set.

The only thing that seems to make any sense at all is the fact that the bars cover the wheel well areas where the seats are bench type and where passengers sitting with their backs to the windows might find it easy to sit sideways with their elbows outside (although the same can be done by riders sitting in the forward facing seats which, in the case of M541, have no such protection).

BTW; all Yellow and GM squared window Old Looks that PSNJ ever bought came equipped with passenger safety split sashes but subsequent orders for paired window jobs (where the feature was still available) were not so equipped.

I think that NJPS went El Cheepo on the paired window jobs and just installed the bars only where mandated.

BTW; on page 22 of 'Old Look Buses' by Luke and Metler there is a photo of PSNJ #M512 - a TDM 5106 - with a single bar in the first full set and the forward portion of the second set of windows with a double set in the two full sashes just aft of where the rear door would be.

Credit for photo within frame.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that the NJPS bars were not attached to the outside pillars between the windows (like the Miami buses) but rather inside the window frame/jamb.
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how fast M541 is going making that right turn?

Frankie
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
I'm wondering how fast M541 is going making that right turn?

Frankie

Frankie,

It's either that or bad Air Suspension!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: