BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A RAILROAD QUESTION'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: 'A RAILROAD QUESTION' Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how an Amtrak train (or any train) from Penn Station in Manhattan manages to get over to the mainland (NJ) for all points south?

I know they don't go through the Lincoln Tunnel nor over the George Washington Bridge and I know of no rail tunnels to New Jersey north of the Path Tubes.

Is it that they go out through the Sunnyside Yards and up to the Hellgate Bridge but then where do they cross the Hudson? (which they must do).

Thanks for an answer.

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. 'L' -

The answer is with the pair of Hudson River Tunnels, built a century back, for access that made PENNSYLVANIA STATION - Manhattan
possible. With opening of the railroad's Tunnels, it no longer had to terminate its trains at Exchange Place in Jersey City.

Note route between Manhattan and Hoboken, as well as other plant at Sunnyside. It also explains the vital role of the H & M,
connecting Downtown Manhattan, HUDSON TERMINAL with P R R Main Line services...

I try to carefully cite sources. What we have above is a copy of an original P R R Source Document, with its purpose stated in
lower right Legend. (Otherwise, the copy is in "free play" on 'net sites.)

.....................Vern...................
Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride into NY Penn Station each day on New Jersey Transit through these tunnels. They start underground right as Route 3 passes overhead, just west of the Lincoln Tunnel.

Edit: There was recent news made when Gov. Chris Christy of NJ cancelled a project for additional tunnels after about $450 million was already spent, stating that NJ would be stuck picking up any cost over-runs. A lot of commuters were not happy. With only 1 tunnel in and 1 tunnel out, if there is a breakdown, major delays result.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank -

There are legitimate questions about any actual need for added "PENN STATION" tunnels, anyway. One must
accept as Gospel the ridership projections, and future growth forecasts. The planners often caught at "honest
mistakes" (on orders of magnitude) and downright lying. Much of the work product is downright foolish...

We have a lot of "latest, greatest" Light Rail running, near all not hauling anywhere near project riderships. At
the same time, the suffering locales still need to carry some burdensome, unending subsidy support...

........................Vern.........................
Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, but after a large fare increase, plus cuts in service, NJ Transit riders do feel sort of "dumped on". I don't know about future projections, but I can tell you that the trains on the line that I ride are always full. The cost of driving into Manhattan also keeps the trains highly utilized on weekends when families are heading to the city for entertainment.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank -

SIGH! One of the troubles in remarking on rampant foolishness? Many users of the wondrous
new computer driven discussions confuse it with "political" diatribe. Nope! Ain't so! Truths are
truths, and non-denominational...

The NY/NJ commute travels are just a long and endless nightmare. It did take down all of the
regional railroads. No money in it. This time, it is all on the taxpayers...

..........................Vern............................
Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, yes.

My intent was not to criticize or disagree with your post, but was merely to say that ridership (in spite of everything), at least on the surface, appears to be quite high. After I reread my post it did come across more critical than intended. Sorry. Smile
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank -

Oh, No! Classic, "No Harm, No Foul".

The logic problem with the full trains? If they are full, why do they continue to run on discounted rates?

Unfortunately, much of this (with much of the ignorant user audience) immediately runs to vitriolic poli- babble.

Here locally, we have a "Poster Child" Heavy Rail which: Runs on cheap rates. Hauls a "market audience" with way
over average household incomes. Live much too far from work, which has "slurbed" communities fifty (50) or more
more distant from five days a week work stations. And, to cover the endless subsidy, why, the very most poor and
other modestly situated get to pay. Fairness? Where? "Not On My Watch!"

.........................Vern......................
Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They no longer offer discounted fares on NJT. The "Off Peak Roundtrip" fare went away when the fares went up. My monthly ticket costs $425! Maybe there is a "senior citizen" fare, but I'm not sure. I'm not quite there yet!
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank -

Count the embedded continuing subsidy in the ticket prices, and see what you get for answers?...

Saw a completely foolish Light Rail, which the ambitious seekers of "Free FED Money" are trying to pull off in Madison, WI.
Fare would be two dollars. Subsidy would be an added forty-three (43) dollars per rider!

BAH! Send them over to BMW dealers, and make the notes good! It would be cheaper...

........................Vern.....................
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what I started here with just a simple question!

Anyway, thanks for the information boys and keep those comments coming!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
timecruncher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the politics of public transport for a moment (could you imagine the hundreds of thousands of NJT and Amtrak commuters all trying to drive into Manhattan along with the rest of the schleps who drive everyday?).

The Pennsylvania Railroad tubes under the Hudson are two tracks and able to handle a train east and west on them at about 90 second intervals with everyone following every other train on "approach" signals at around 15mph. Any kind of operating anomaly can and does cause a complete failure of this one heavy rail corridor and can potentially disrupt transport in this busiest of rail gateways.

This one tunnel isn't enough with the sheer volume of commuters who come into the city each day. Why so many people? Because mere mortals cannot afford to live in the friggin' city and have to live 50 miles away to be able to afford a decent home!!

*Ahem*

The other railroads out of Jersey that handle commuters used to do it with terminals on the west shore of the Hudson and ferry boats to Manhattan. This included the Lackawanna and Erie, New York Central's westshore lines, Central Railroad of New Jersey and Susquehanna Railroad. Most of these former rail lines are now part of the NJT web of commuter rail lines that now feed into Hoboken Terminal (still served by a weekday ferry) and/or Newark Penn Station, where some trains terminate and require transfer to a downtown train, and some trains can continue across the Meadowlands to the Hudson Tubes.

What I don't understand is why, over the years, another highway bridge or two across the Hudson from south Manhattan was never built. I mean, the city has been a major center of commerce for many, many years and it just seems to me that vehicular access other than the George Washington Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel would have been built at some time during the past 100 years.

Just sayin'

timecruncher
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
Forget the politics of public transport for a moment (could you imagine the hundreds of thousands of NJT and Amtrak commuters all trying to drive into Manhattan along with the rest of the schleps who drive everyday?).

The Pennsylvania Railroad tubes under the Hudson are two tracks and able to handle a train east and west on them at about 90 second intervals with everyone following every other train on "approach" signals at around 15mph. Any kind of operating anomaly can and does cause a complete failure of this one heavy rail corridor and can potentially disrupt transport in this busiest of rail gateways.

This one tunnel isn't enough with the sheer volume of commuters who come into the city each day. Why so many people? Because mere mortals cannot afford to live in the friggin' city and have to live 50 miles away to be able to afford a decent home!!

*Ahem*

The other railroads out of Jersey that handle commuters used to do it with terminals on the west shore of the Hudson and ferry boats to Manhattan. This included the Lackawanna and Erie, New York Central's westshore lines, Central Railroad of New Jersey and Susquehanna Railroad. Most of these former rail lines are now part of the NJT web of commuter rail lines that now feed into Hoboken Terminal (still served by a weekday ferry) and/or Newark Penn Station, where some trains terminate and require transfer to a downtown train, and some trains can continue across the Meadowlands to the Hudson Tubes.

What I don't understand is why, over the years, another highway bridge or two across the Hudson from south Manhattan was never built. I mean, the city has been a major center of commerce for many, many years and it just seems to me that vehicular access other than the George Washington Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel would have been built at some time during the past 100 years.

Just sayin'

timecruncher

I agree with your sentiments entirely.

Perhaps one answer to your question is, where would the additional traffic into Manhattan go if they were built? The island is already 'supersaturated' with people and vehicles. Because of the 'NIMBYS', sorely needed expressways linking the Hudson River and East river crossings are politically impossible to construct. So the only interstate expressway in all of Manhattan is the mile-long stretch of I-95 from the GWB to the Cross Bronx Expwy. which is constantly clogged with traffic.

What is sorely needed, besides the aforementioned two additional tracks for passengers, is a new freight tunnel from New Jersey to Brooklyn, able to accommodate double-stack container trains, that would run to a new container terminal in the middle of Long Island. Just imagine how much traffic that would remove from the highways to and through the city....
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
...What is sorely needed, besides the aforementioned two additional tracks for passengers, is a new freight tunnel from New Jersey to Brooklyn, able to accommodate double-stack container trains, that would run to a new container terminal in the middle of Long Island. Just imagine how much traffic that would remove from the highways to and through the city....

All Hands!

BAH! The "new container terminal" is, IMHO, pointless. The idea of a new "freight tunnel" just another scam in
search of saps to provide taxpayer funds. I'm not visualizing the "freight flows" to ever justify it.

Keep in mind that much of the container traffic off loaded into the area are, de facto, shorter haul. Necessarily,
must move via motor carrier to consignee delivery stites.

Passenger (commuter) moves in and out of Manhattan? Why worry? Markets self regulate. It explains why so
much new office locations now sited on the Jersey side. So we should (pardon the pun) sink trainloads of tax
money to get people into the "Big Apple" because Secaucus and Moonachie addresses perceived as not as
desirable? BAH! Better to protect taxpayers, not scheming developers?

......................Vern.....................
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hwy Haulier--
You make some valid points. But the NYC metro area will choke to a standstill (I know---many have the sentiment 'who cares'?), if something is not done to relieve the situation.
Perhaps a cheaper solution would be to build a containership port somewhere on the Long Island coast? Could be served by both ocean-going containerships and/or car floats from the New Jersey railroad container yards for domestic containers....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: