BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suffolk County Express Route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Suffolk County Express Route Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about a Express route that went from Greenport to New York City that was numbered S192 and cost $16.00, and was in service around the autumn of 2005
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ST9909

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no wayyyy! i wonder if that is true
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST9909 wrote:
no wayyyy! i wonder if that is true

Here's the link to where I found it referenced http://www.nymtc.org/project/LIS_access/documents/Final_TechRpt.pdf (You have to scroll down a bit to get to the Suffolk Transit Info)

However I can't find any other reference of it, and that includes using the web archive of Suffolk Transit's website (where that link claims all the fare info for Suffolk Transit was said to come from)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S-192 referred to was the Sunrise Express service from Greenport to NYC operated by Sunrise Coach Lines, Inc. of Greenport. This started in 1980 or 1981 (??, boy my memory is slipping) and still runs today under Hampton Jitney. The number was assigned by Suffolk County or ??? for reporting purposes to the FTA. (This run never appeared as a Suffolk Transit route!)
The original pick up points on the North Fork were Greenport, Southold, Peconic, Cutchogue, Mattituck, Laurel, Jamesport, Aquebogue and Riverhead. There was one Queens drop off, exit 24 off the LIE at Kissena Blvd. The bus then traveled to Manhattan thru the Queens-Midtown Tunnel dropping off passengers along Third Ave. at 37th, 42nd, 49th, 55th, 66th, 72nd and finally 79th street. Normal routing then had the bus heading west on 79th St. and then south on Lexington Ave.
The only pick up location in Manhattan was the SW corner of 44th St. and Third Ave. Bus stopped in Queens at Kissena Blvd. and then to the end of the LIE dropping off passengers at the same nine stops.
Scheduled time Greenport to NYC was 2 1/2 hours. Quicker than the LIRR! And we usually were ahead of schedule at our arrival points.
Service began with two Prevost LeMirage coaches and two 15 pax raised roof vans. Original schedule was two R/Ts daily, Mon thru Sat with three R/Ts on Sunday. The service ran 7 days/week every day including all holidays.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
The S-192 referred to was the Sunrise Express service from Greenport to NYC operated by Sunrise Coach Lines, Inc. of Greenport. This started in 1980 or 1981 (??, boy my memory is slipping) and still runs today under Hampton Jitney. The number was assigned by Suffolk County or ??? for reporting purposes to the FTA. (This run never appeared as a Suffolk Transit route!)
The original pick up points on the North Fork were Greenport, Southold, Peconic, Cutchogue, Mattituck, Laurel, Jamesport, Aquebogue and Riverhead. There was one Queens drop off, exit 24 off the LIE at Kissena Blvd. The bus then traveled to Manhattan thru the Queens-Midtown Tunnel dropping off passengers along Third Ave. at 37th, 42nd, 49th, 55th, 66th, 72nd and finally 79th street. Normal routing then had the bus heading west on 79th St. and then south on Lexington Ave.
The only pick up location in Manhattan was the SW corner of 44th St. and Third Ave. Bus stopped in Queens at Kissena Blvd. and then to the end of the LIE dropping off passengers at the same nine stops.
Scheduled time Greenport to NYC was 2 1/2 hours. Quicker than the LIRR! And we usually were ahead of schedule at our arrival points.
Service began with two Prevost LeMirage coaches and two 15 pax raised roof vans. Original schedule was two R/Ts daily, Mon thru Sat with three R/Ts on Sunday. The service ran 7 days/week every day including all holidays.

Ah, I wish that report or what ever it was had made it clear that it wasn't officially part of Suffolk Transit. I assumed it was part of Suffolk Transit because it's fare was listed at the bottom of all Suffolk's fare info and directly under the list it was said that all the info was from Suffolk's Website.

Thanks for the info Jimbo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: