BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NJ] NABI Contract for New Jersey?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

The deal is done! Here's the NJT press release:

NJ TRANSIT BOARD APPROVES PURCHASE OF 1,145 NEW BUSES EQUIPPED WITH ON-BOARD CAMERA SYSTEMS
January 23, 2007

NEWARK, NJ — The NJ TRANSIT Board of Directors today authorized the purchase of 1,145 transit and suburban-style buses equipped with closed-circuit camera systems to enhance customer and employee security.
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

DART First State (Delaware Transit Corp.) operates a fleet of NABI 416.13's.
These buses are equipped with five surveillance cameras (4 interior, 1 exterior) plus an on-board digital vido event recorder. They also are equipped with an automatic test system (ATS) for on-board self-diagnosis of the multiplexed electrical system. They are equipped with advanced mobile data terminals (AMDT) and automated stop announcement systems. They even have a separate footswitch that activates the hazard flasher.
Lots of high-tech stuff; do you think that NJT might use similarly high specs for their new fleet?
mtazeregadisp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

I wish they would, I have been friends and former colleagues who retire from the MTA and work Part-Time at NJT. But it seem NJT is always just a basic type of carrier with no alot of extra bells and whistles, just look at the flexibles and artics. They had no many more add-ons they could of had but choose not to. I can hope but i doubt it
_SEPTA8119

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

MTAZeregaDisp wrote:
I wish they would, I have been friends and former colleagues who retire from the MTA and work Part-Time at NJT. But it seem NJT is always just a basic type of carrier with no alot of extra bells and whistles, just look at the flexibles and artics. They had no many more add-ons they could of had but choose not to. I can hope but i doubt it

The only "bell and whistle" you're going to see on a typical NJT transit bus (compared to other major TAs) are the seats. Other than that, there's no high-tech AVL or automatic stop announcement system or anything special, but the seats are probably the most comfortable to today's modern TAs...

Last edited by _SEPTA8119 on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

I give NJT a lot of credit for not loading up their buses with frivolous features. You don't just buy that stuff when the bus is new - you also have to expend valuable maintenance dollars to keep those features in working order. That money is better spent focusing on basic bus maintenance.

Otherwise, you get a system like Boston's MBTA with its rattletrap TMC and Nova RTS's that never received a proper midlife overhaul but did receive nice new LED signs and stop-announcement systems.

JD
amoreira81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

SEPTA8119 wrote:
The only "bell and whistle" you're going to see on a typical NJT transit bus (compared to other major TAs) are the seats. Other than that, there's no high-tech AVL or automatic stop announcement system or anything special, but the seats are probably the most comfortable to today's modern TAs...

However, in the end, even the basic equipment has to be maintained, and while most garages do a great job, Big Tree does a horrible job on maintenance compared to everyone else.

To that end, I can see the cost-benefit of only having less than half of the fleet with fareboxes. However, there should be cameras because of the danger associated with handling money and making change (although crime on NJT's MCI routes is extremely low, if at all.)
ctrabs74

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have word on what the status is of the NJT Milleneum (non-)order? I haven't been able to find too much new news since the original BusTalk went away...
KCRam3500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been reported, Millennium and NJT have made a civil parting of the ways - meaning no breach of contract lawsuit.

Reports are circulating that NJT and NABI have agreed to terms to add the Flxible Metro-B replacements to the big contract. Assuming they take on the 289 buses as determined in the MTS order, there will be a total of approximately 300 NABI suburbans and the rest will be transits (I would imagine including some 35-footers to replace the 30-foot Nova RTSes). The total order of 1434 buses would be worth somewhere in the vicinity of $510 million to NABI, if the 289 additional buses are priced the same as NABI's current contract (as opposed to what MTS had bid).

Big plus for NJT - this will give them the first uniform bus fleet in their history. An all-NABI transit and suburban fleet, an all-MCI D-series coach fleet, and an all-Neoplan artic fleet.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJT introduced the first NABI to the press on Wednesday:

Cherry Hill Courier-Post - New buses for NJ Transit this summer (includes photo of interior)
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an order for nearly 1200 buses from NABI, I guess New Jersey Transit can still be said to be the largest operator in the country - a title that they have held since the old 'Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey' days back in the thirties.

Good for them!. and congratulations to NABI on a record breaking deal!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
juan833blue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NABI contract for New Jersey? Reply with quote

KCRam3500 wrote:
The deal is done! Here's the NJT press release:

NJ TRANSIT BOARD APPROVES PURCHASE OF 1,145 NEW BUSES EQUIPPED WITH ON-BOARD CAMERA SYSTEMS
January 23, 2007

NEWARK, NJ — The NJ TRANSIT Board of Directors today authorized the purchase of 1,145 transit and suburban-style buses equipped with closed-circuit camera systems to enhance customer and employee security.

However, New Jersey Transit could purchase more NABIs if necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: