BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus company shut down..pax in luggage bay..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Bus company shut down..pax in luggage bay.. Reply with quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/06/12/2011-06-12_bus_company_shut_down_after_officials_find_people_traveling_in_luggage_compartme.html
Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I drove charter coaches it would not be unusual for some "church" or "family" groups to ask if extra passengers could be accomodated. These groups would like to place three children in a seat or have some standees. Company policy was one (1) person per seat, the exception were infants that would be held by an adult the entire trip. Jokingly I was asked if some passengers could ride in the empty luggage bays or sit in the lavatory. My guess was the group on the coach from Michigan was one of these groups.
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely amazing that pax would be underfloor Shocked
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad....reminds me of those trafficking in illegal immigrants across the Mexican border in sweltering box trucks. Every now and them it goes bad and many perish in those virtual ovens.

Speaking of Mexico....I've seen some of their buses that actually put a berth with a window in a baggage bay for a relief driver....
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many European coaches were built with a driver compartment underneath the floor of the coach for a relief driver. In the mid 80's I occasionally drove two M.A.N SR-280 Highliner coaches imported from Germany. The driver compartment had separate heating and AC controls, a reading lamp, an intercom to the driver on duty and two entrances, one from the outside and one from the inside. A small window allowed a view to the outside. I'm 5'3", 150 lbs. and the compartment was tight for me. To my knowledge it was never used as it was intended by my fellow drivers. It was used to store personal items and cleaning supplies.
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sleeper berth on a bus must be really tight as compared to a sleeper on a modern tractor trailer.
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know sure as heck, I wouldn't want to be in one of 'em.
The only company that I know of around here that utilize a berth for a relief driver is LaCubana on their NYC-Miami run.
Their berth is located in front of the lav, and has old Pullman style heavy curtains for privacy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: