BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future of LIB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timecruncher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The private contractor is running service for the county at a price. The only real change is that employees will no longer be MTA/Long Island Bus employees, but will work for the contractor.

Translation: Lower wages, benefits, etc.

I doubt very much that the contractor will be able to make any sweeping changes to routes or fares under whatever contract terms are agreed to - only that they will operate the service for X number of dollars for X number of years.

I haven't read the contract, so I don't know how much leverage the contractor has.

In most "privatized" operations, such as Valley Metro in Phoenix, RTC in Reno, and CCRTA in Las Vegas, the private company provides operators, operations management and other administrative functions while the transit system continues to provide high-level leadership.

If the Nassau county thing is different from that, this will be one to watch. With the size of the annual budget and number of vehicles involved, this is a lot of bus service. It is larger than our entire transit system here in Louisville, for example.

And, if you're a LIB employee, best not buy that new RV this year...

timecruncher
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, Veolia will perform service planning as well as operations, the same as the MTA has done all these years since the county has never had an inhouse staff to do this. They will also have some discretion on headways and spans of service and can even cut the worst-performing routes based on farebox recovery. It will definitely be one to watch.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wanna go 'hmmm.'

I know the guy who has been doing their scheduling for quite a while. I wonder what he thinks about all of this...

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: