BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'GM OLD LOOK RECOGNITION GUIDE'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: 'GM OLD LOOK RECOGNITION GUIDE' Reply with quote

Here's a useful tool for you Old Look GM bus spotters - it's helped me hundreds of times as I'm sure it will for you.

My thanks to Q65A for passing it along to me some years ago (although he may not remember).

Regards to all,

Mr. 'L'

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

Without doubt, a most useful illustration of the product line!

The earlier, rather limited seating models with an attraction of modest "fuel burn" rates. On something of a parity with current day "heavy" SUV types.
A bit of an excellent example of what services carriers would do in protection of authority held, and required provision of services...

..................Vern....................
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While most of the old looks were either 96 and 102 inches wide, I read that some of the shorter ones were only 95 inches wide. Does anyone know exactly which model numbers were?

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

As seen below, 'Coach Info' reports that some GM Old Looks were 95 inches in width.

This is erroneous - the only two widths were 96 or 102 inches.

There were earlier Yellow Coaches that averaged 95 inches.

Now, if you were to ask what production GM transit was the longest ever built that would have to be the TDH 5502 manufactured exclusively for Chicago Motor Coach coming in at some 43 feet.

The highest passenger capacity coach built by GM/Yellow was the 72 seat double decked 720's and 735's for both Chicago and New York.

Intercity and transit buses.
GMC "Old-Look". Specifications. Length: 35, 40 feet; Width: 95, 102; Height: 113 inches; Wheelbase: 239, 282 inches; Typical engine: DDA 6-71 ...
www.coachinfo.com/AllAboutBuses/GMC_Info.html - Cached - Similar

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. L - I thought that was in error. The other source that mentioned the 95 inches was in the Luke/Metler book on Old Look Transits (page 6). I can understand two sets of tooling for the front and rear panels to reflect the 96 and 102 inches, but not one for 95.

I think you and I are pretty much up to snuff when it comes to bus trivia. Just for the heck of it, here's one for you that I'm sure you already know the answer: What's the only 40 foot old look that did not have paired windows?

Frankie
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why that 5502 was not more widely used? Was the length too far ahead of its time, on legal basis? The 102" width seemed okay for in-city use, why not the extra length?

IIRC, the PCC streetcars were something like 51 feet long, not that that necessarily had any bearing on buses, but......?
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During this time period, most if not all states had restrictions regarding length and width of buses especially those used on major highways, however some cities had their own exemptions including Chicago. The 5502 was build for Chicago as a replacement for their double deckers and most of these were used on the busier routes with the wider streets. Most of these routes posed little or no problems for the buses' cornering abilities. Lesser routes on narrower streets would have used other bus equipment as needed.

The PCC's never had cornering issues due to it's fixed movement along it's tracks, therefor length was not a issue. The only problem with the PCC's would be vehicular obstructions whereas a bus had the capability of maneuvering around them.

This is just a thumbnail explanation. I'm sure Mr. L and others could easily elaborate on this.

Great question Traildriver!

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Thanks Mr. L - I thought that was in error. The other source that mentioned the 95 inches was in the Luke/Metler book on Old Look Transits (page 6). I can understand two sets of tooling for the front and rear panels to reflect the 96 and 102 inches, but not one for 95.

I think you and I are pretty much up to snuff when it comes to bus trivia. Just for the heck of it, here's one for you that I'm sure you already know the answer: What's the only 40 foot old look that did not have paired windows?

Frankie

Frankie,

That could be a trick question because the only 40 foot squared window GM Old Look didn't exactly start out that way;

It started out as a 41 foot, 7 inch long demonstrator dubbed a TD-55 (shown below in its original form) to Fifth Avenue Coach Company and carried fleet # 2500 and was later rebuilt by GM to a legal 39 feet 7 inches reducing the body by one window.

GM officially re-modeled it as a 5001.

BTW; while it may seem as though there were tons of GM Old Looks at 102 inches wide, there weren't!

Of the 39,100 Old Looks manufactured between 1939 and 1968 only 5400 were extra wide and included the 4510, 4511, 5103 and 5105 with the 5105 being the most popular Old Look ever built with over 3600 units.

Photo courtesy of the Motor Bus Society.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a trick question it was!!!! Nice going Mr. L - no way to pull the wool over your eyes! It was indeed the renamed TD-5001.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

I'm ready for 'Wheel of Fortune' - next question please!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I wonder why that 5502 was not more widely used? Was the length too far ahead of its time, on legal basis? The 102" width
seemed okay for in-city use, why not the extra length?

IIRC, the PCC streetcars were something like 51 feet long, not that that necessarily had any bearing on buses, but......?

T.D. -

As it was then, as it is now, and so it ever shall be... The regulators can be notoriously hidebound, inflexible,
arbitrary and capricious. Many are unimpressed with the "Common Sense" logic device...

Recall, over on the freight side, it was a long running, mighty and expensive effort with result of authority for
"Western Doubles" "Pups" trailers for travel in Iowa and Wisconsin, for example...

.....................Vern.................
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread! Withregard to length restrictions, I think streetcars probably were regulated differently as compared to motor vehicles (e.g. streetcars didn't require license plates but buses did, etc.) Streetcars probably were regulated as railways, while buses were regulated as motor vehicles. Many bus operators bought 96" wide equipment fairly late in time. In California, weight restrictions were quite severe up until the 1970's. This prevented use of 40-foot air-conditioned transit buses until these laws were relaxed.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Nice thread! Withregard to length restrictions, I think streetcars probably were regulated differently as compared to motor vehicles (e.g. streetcars didn't require license plates but buses did, etc.) Streetcars probably were regulated as railways, while buses were regulated as motor vehicles. Many bus operators bought 96" wide equipment fairly late in time. In California, weight restrictions were quite severe up until the 1970's. This prevented use of 40-foot air-conditioned transit buses until these laws were relaxed.

I'm surprised that a comparatively young Western state like California would have such restrictions.....makes me wonder if the designers had ever envisioned a "California Special" transit bus with a tag axle added to solve the weight problem....
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Old Looks, the 37.5 foot long TDH/M 4801 was a favorite in CA. For 40 foot California New Looks, GM repositioned the fuel tanks behind the front axle to comply with restrictive axle loadings.
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the Macks couldn't escape the strict California axle loads. The C-49 specifications shifted the front axle 15 inches towards the rear to satisfy the weight distribution over the real axle. This explains the long front overhang on the California C-49s.

Frankie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: