BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sky Express - Bye Bye
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Sky Express - Bye Bye Reply with quote

According to a report in today's NY Post, the company has been shut down due to the crash of NYC bound bus in Virginia. Apparently their driving record according to the Motor Carrier website is less than stellar. I believe the coach involved was a SETRA.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will get more interesting as the Feds close down companies. The only problem is which companies have the ability to reopen under a different name almost immediately.
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Some of these small guys are agile enough to circumvent the system. Scary crashes are happening too frequently.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus - GBL Rebel -

In an American Bus Association quote, in an AP report, it declares there is no shortage of law, rules, regulations, edicts,
imperatives and mandates about how to run commercial vehicles. So, whatever of new legislation? I don't know. Makes
for good photo ops! "Vote For Me!" sessions. Fund raising BBQ events...

Long and short? 1) Enforcement programs must be sufficiently funded. And, 2) It is difficult to change human behavior.
Outlaws will remain outlaws As even the Police will remark, "...the laws are for honest people..."!

........................Vern................
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a SETRA as seen below.

See full report in Eastern U.S. section entitled 'Bus Crash Kills Four in Virginia'

Photo courtesy of the New York Daily News/Associated Press.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be clear about what I mean. Have seen this done but not with a bus company. To have another company set-up ready to go if things like this happen. In NYS business Incorporation is a couple hundred dollars, thus change the decal, plates and DOT inspection, and we are open in a few days.
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary stuff. I would not be surprised if the company had a shaky record prior to this crash.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
Hart Bus - GBL Rebel -

In an American Bus Association quote, in an AP report, it declares there is no shortage of law, rules, regulations, edicts,
imperatives and mandates about how to run commercial vehicles. So, whatever of new legislation? I don't know. Makes
for good photo ops! "Vote For Me!" sessions. Fund raising BBQ events...

Long and short? 1) Enforcement programs must be sufficiently funded. And, 2) It is difficult to change human behavior.
Outlaws will remain outlaws As even the Police will remark, "...the laws are for honest people..."!

........................Vern................

Vern:

When my kids were in (probably) Junior HS, NYS put out a set of rules for school bus companies, regarding age of buses, etc. The cops got tired of being jerked around. The solution was to start to pull the buses into shopping centers after completing the AM runs. Some buses were pulled from service.

The companies didn't get the hint. So then the cops pulled in the buses, while on their way to school with the kids on the buses. Those that were to be yanked had to be replaced by other buses, that in turn would be inspected before being allowed to complete the school run. Once kids started arriving late to school, you can imagine the stink raised by the parents and school boards.

Some times the tools are there, you just have to use them.

Alan
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Should be clear about what I mean. Have seen this done but not with a bus company. To have another company set-up ready to go if things like this happen.
In NYS business Incorporation is a couple hundred dollars, thus change the decal, plates and DOT inspection, and we are open in a few days.

GBL Rebel - All -

Certainly, some old field hands with DOT (much earlier, ICC) can name the names of who uses this tactic. I know it has been done in freight.
It is not all that hard to do when the carrier of a model which outsources nearly everything. That is, use of a leased fleet, and contracted
(leased labor) with much of the staffing. With this model of a carrier, for the most part and much like Gertrude Stein remarked of Oakland,
"...There is no there, there..."! It is a clever device. (Disclaimer: I am not in the moral judgment business. Just the facts.)

Alan's account here reports an effective enforcement device. The management of the school system must have gone nuts about it. Why not
bring the issue to them? They have the highly paid types who are the "Transportation Director" managers. Let them figure it out.

Over the years, I have noted the carriers who do Safety right have "Safety Director" folks who are just unforgiving tyrants. They report
(in larger organization lingua) only to the COO or CEO. Not hard to understand. Top management either wants a spotless, on the road record,
or it doesn't. Better part of wisdom is that a wise course is avoidance of the regulators thru meticulous compliance...

..................Vern..................
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Vern:

When my kids were in (probably) Junior HS, NYS put out a set of rules for school bus companies, regarding age of buses, etc. The cops got tired of being jerked around. The solution was to start to pull the buses into shopping centers after completing the AM runs. Some buses were pulled from service.

The companies didn't get the hint. So then the cops pulled in the buses, while on their way to school with the kids on the buses. Those that were to be yanked had to be replaced by other buses, that in turn would be inspected before being allowed to complete the school run. Once kids started arriving late to school, you can imagine the stink raised by the parents and school boards.

Some times the tools are there, you just have to use them.

Alan

Alan..I'm not sure where you live but if you are familiar with a very popular shopping outlet called Woodbury Common, there are small and somtimes large bus companies that compete with Shortline by undercutting Shortline by charging sometimes half of our fares.

These are no name companies, the dumpiest looking equipment, but Woodbury/Central Valley Police Dept, and DOT do just what you mentioned. Wait until all the pax are off the bus, take them around the back where us Shortline folks park our buses untill we get called upon to come to the stop, anyhow, just over this past holiday weekend, me and a few other S/L drivers observed about 7 buses out of service. Big, Bright Neon Orange Embarrasing stickers placed right on the drivers side windsheild.

What of the people they brought in? They are screwed. Big time because these no name companies have only one or two buses and the other buses they do have are out on other jobs.

Well, ok..not totally screwed, Shortline now gets their business, they need to get back to NYC.

Ken
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Scary stuff. I would not be surprised if the company had a shaky record prior to this crash.

Very bad record, multiple safety infractions, above 99 percent failure rate, according to the ariticle I read this morning posted in our driver room

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110602/OPINION/106020311&cid=sitesearch

It was SKY bus company.

Last edited by shortlineMCI on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Agreed. Some of these small guys are agile enough to circumvent the system. Scary crashes are happening too frequently.
It's a lot deeper then Scary Crashes unfortunatly. A whole lot deeper.

So I ask the question..Why do (all) of these buses go to ChinaTown. Here's a most reputable answer to this question from an insider.

According to one guy interviewed on the radio this morning, and I couldn't hear all of it, the interviewer asked the question to a gentlemen who drove for these small companies that all seem to go to Chinatown.

But anyway, he went by an alias, (smart guy) revealing a lot. These ChinaTown buses are filled for the most part with Illegal Chinese immigrants who charge a nominal fee to the passengers. Who by the way are not ALL of Asian decent. They do take regular fare-paying passengers The buses are subsidized by businessmen in China mainly to deliver chinese-made goods to be delivered to ChinaTown(s) all over, not just NYC. We have one of many chinatowns. That is mainly how most of the cheap chinese goods are delivered to chinatown. There is big, big money in this business. So The illegal chinese are employed, americans, (or tourists) buy these cheap chinese knock-offs, and all the money is shipped out of the US economy and into China.

The underloaders of the Buses are FILLED with cheap Chinese made crap to be delivered to ChinaTown to be sold whereever. The Passengers very often are carrying a very small amount of personal effects, being the Chinese pax (some, not all, but most) are illegal and do not care about re locating.

The Chinese illegals will who are on those Chinatown buses move into apartments (this is what a tourguide revealed while driving a Double-Decker tour bus in the city during the ChinaTown tour portion) sometimes 10 or more, while saving their money. They don't care of they make pennies on the dollar because they know the pennies add up and if they live ten in one apartment, your rent is very cheap.

So if they find out the authorities are on to them? They pack their belongings, get on another chinatown bus and goodbye.

In closing, This is why the Chinese businessmen do not care about the drivers, the buses, maintenance, driver logs.

Hopefully this latest bus crash will blow the lid off this whole well kept secret.

Sorry for being a little long winded, but this is important.

Ken
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken -

WHOA! Speaks volumes! Often wondered whatever to do with all the cargo holds "below decks" in the newer rolling stock.
Just when I thought it was all diverted to FREDEX or BROWN CAR! There's a lot going on in this picture!

......................Vern......................
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vern..

It was a pleasure revealing this whole thing, and I am sorry I couldn't listen to the rest of it. If you can even imagine there is more to this than what I revealed.

Evidently the "Chinese" residents who live in Chinatown are clearly not interested in melting into and becoming part of our America. This could be a major reason.

Amazing. Truly Amazing. But yes..we can only see the very top of an iceberg that goes down for miles. We only see deadly bus crashes, but this is why...

Ken
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken -

Don't Start! I hit the button bringing compliance with: All Hands! All Hands! Battle Stations! Battle Stations! Bring Her Into
The Wind! All Ahead Full! Prepare To Launch All Aircraft! This Is Not A Drill!

For those of us given to think, and read some history, this is spooky! "Video Gamers" and cell phone texters may go about
their mindless...

The shut down carrier with fifty (50) or so units on the streets. Who, in fact, the "true colors" party actually signing the
orders for this $20MM in equipment? No "walking in off the streets" gets this deal from the finance company! (Here, earlier,
I explained useful role of "Joyous Moon Leasing, LLC")

.....................Vern.................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: