BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why was 4105 never used as a production model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Why was 4105 never used as a production model Reply with quote

There was the PD-4104 and PD-4106, but PD-4105 was never used, and it's proven anyplace I look...was it started then scrpaped before any buses where to be built??
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

The 4105 (if it ever existed) could have been an engineering prototype that was eventually put to the crusher as GM did with so many of its failed experiments.

I have always wondered why there was no TDH 4508 or 4514 (forget about the 13 - that they would never have built).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a discussion at one time in the Trailways Bus Driver forum at YahooGroups. I believe a PD-4105 prototype was discussed. Don't recall if a photo was posted or not.

There was a picture of a 40' bus, the PD-4902, posted there. It looked like a stretched PD-4106 with a tandem rear-axle and a transom window just behind the driver. The bus in that photo was a glider. It had no engine! The photo was also posted in the Bus Memories site. Do a Google search on GM PD 4902 and the picture should pop up.

Some years ago, I remember looking through some Bus Transportation magazines at the Dayton public library. I swear that the TDM/TDH-4515 was originally advertised as a "4514". I don't believe that the library has that collection of Bus Transportation magazines anymore, however, so I can't check it.

Years ago, the Ohio Museum of Transportation website had a listing of the specifications for all the GM transit and suburban bus models going back at least to the beginning of the Old Look era. This included models that never went into production. Unfortunately, someone hacked into their website and took down the specifications and the production lists. The production lists came back but, the specs never did.

I think virtually all of the "missing" model numbers were used. Some just never got behind the idea stage.

Roy
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to photo of a PD-4902.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://members.tripod.com/~joycewiggins/photo/4902.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.angelfire.com/al/silverball/0bus.html&usg=__ciKaVCsMEcyaVtSuQbYjp_fi2OE=&h=166&w=266&sz=9&hl=en&start=15&zoom=1&tbnid=3-3xEZZtpgYflM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=168&ei=j7WzTaemJIOdgQfT_IzGCw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgm%2Bpd%2B4902%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enUS225US225%26biw%3D1020%26bih%3D600%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch0%2C360&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=628&vpy=259&dur=453&hovh=132&hovw=212&tx=97&ty=71&page=2&ndsp=15&v
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: