BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Florescent interior lighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Florescent interior lighting Reply with quote

Fellows:

The postwar ST. LOUIS trolley coaches, which ran in Brooklyn, were the first buses of any sort to use interior florescent lighting.

The "Bingham" MACKS (5200-5599) also had florescent lighting.

TDH-5101 #4898 was built with experimental florescent lighting, which would have made this bus the only Old Look in the fleet so equipped.

It would not be until the New Looks began entering service that florescent lighting became standard on all new buses.

As all new New York subway cars from 1948 onwards were equipped with florescent lighting (the new last subway cars with incandescent lighting were the IND R-9's) I'm wondering why it took until the arrival of the New Looks to make florescent lighting standard in all new buses......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underground, in 1948, straphangers got a gleaming look into the future when the new Euclid Avenue (IND) station opened

This new route (between Broadway-East New York and Euclid was complete prior to WW2, sans track and signalling, but construction was halted during the War.

When Euclid Avenue opened, it ushered in the era of subway stations lit by florescent tubes instead of incandescent bulbs.

That same year, and into 1949, the first subway cars lit by florescent lights entered service (the IRT's R-12's/14's, and the IND's R-10's and R-11's (later rebuilt into R-34's).

The sleek BUDD R-11's were intended to serve as prototypes for the cars to eventually run on the SAS, of which, only a stub operates today, put into service a few years back.

"NYO"

Euclid Avenue station photos:

http://www.subwaynut.com/ind/euclidc/index.php

(courtesy: The Subway Nut)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euclid Avenue station (IND) "State Of The Art" in 1948.........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?130985

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?130986

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fifth Avenue Coach White model 1150 had fluorescent lights as did all the TDH-5106 with the protruding destination sign box as well as #3100.

I think, but not 100% sure, that the TDH-5104s also had fluorescent interior lights.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
The Fifth Avenue Coach White model 1150 had fluorescent lights as did all the TDH-5106 with the protruding destination sign box as well as #3100.

I think, but not 100% sure, that the TDH-5104s also had fluorescent interior lights.

MaBSTOA 15:

Yup, one of the interesting items about the "buses with the sign that stuck out in the front" were the florescent-lit destination signs, but here, i was thinking only in terms of the interior lighting.

You mentioned that you thought that the 5104's might have have had florescent lighting; this I had never heard of before, but it does sound interesting!

Seeing interior photos of the "BINGHAM" Macks with florescent lighting really makes you look twice; certainly, no such animal existed in my area when I was a kid!

In fact, the first time I ever rode on a bus with florescent lighting, it was on a PSNJ New Look transit, sometime around 1962......VERY "Jetson-esque", to say the least, like the Fishbowls themselves!

I am guessing that both bus and subway car interior lighting is now all LED (or some other "electronic" lighting); not sure about what is used on the oldest cars, the R-32's.

Recall, also, in the mid-60's, and into the 1970's, the new subway cars having back-lit interior advertising (reminded me of the "BUS-O-RAMA" ads!)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "buses with the sign that stuck out in the front" did have interior fluorescent lights. As well as the Surface Transit Mack C-49-DT numbered 3000-3009.

I just remembered that the twenty-five Fifth Avenue Coach C-50 buses also had interior fluorescent lights.

Will check my files for info on the Fifth Avenue Coach TDH-5104.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intercity bus flourescent lighting came much later. The first coach that I am aware of having them, was the 1967 MC-6X prototypes, and the 1968 MC-7's.
However, they could only be used when the bus was in a garage or terminal, and plugged in. The 1985 MCI 'A' series was the first to offer on the road flourescent.
IIRC, the Eagle model 10 or 15 also offered it at about the same time. Not sure of Prevost's, or other's...
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as trains go, I believe some streamliner's of the '30's may have had flourescent lighting. Same era for ocean liner's and airliner's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
The "buses with the sign that stuck out in the front" did have interior fluorescent lights. As well as the Surface Transit Mack C-49-DT numbered 3000-3009.

I just remembered that the twenty-five Fifth Avenue Coach C-50 buses also had interior fluorescent lights.

Will check my files for info on the Fifth Avenue Coach TDH-5104.

MaBSTOA 15:

THANK YOU for jogging my memory; I have VERY clear memories of riding those "buses with the sign that stuck out", but TOTALLY forgot that they had interior florescent lighting as well!

Even as a kid, I thought it quite odd to have such lighting in an "old" bus!

Thanks also for sharing the information on the SURFACE Macks, and the FACCO. C-50's; I did not know this.

Up until I read this, I thought that the only MACKS that had florescent lighting were the "Bingham" buses.

Thanks again for this great info! Very Happy

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Euclid Avenue station...IIRC, the Bot (or was it already TA?), used that station for publicity photo's...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Intercity bus flourescent lighting came much later. The first coach that I am aware of having them, was the 1967 MC-6X prototypes, and the 1968 MC-7's.
However, they could only be used when the bus was in a garage or terminal, and plugged in. The 1985 MCI 'A' series was the first to offer on the road flourescent.
IIRC, the Eagle model 10 or 15 also offered it at about the same time. Not sure of Prevost's, or other's...

traildriver:

Growing up, the only buses I can recall having florescent lighting were New Looks; everything else had incandescent lighting.

Recall, the lighting aboard the new BUDD R-11 cars featured (from what I read long ago) "sterile lamps to kill germs" (recall, this was still an era when polio was greatly feared)

Truly futuristic for the time, the BMT's experimental "GREEN HORNET" and (BUDD) "ZEPHYR" trains both featured indirect lighting.

Also, recall the florescent tubes used to illuminate subway car (SMEE) roller curtain (side) boxes (I can remember some glowing green, many eons ago).....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief "sidetrack" on the subways........

Today, the MTA refers to the former IRT lines as the "A" Division; the BMT/IND is referred to as the "B" Division; no new reporters today use the old nomeclature (more than likely, most never have heard of the old names!)

But, for die-hard subway purists (such as Your's Truly!) I've never stopped using the old names; I will still refer to the "#7" as the "IRT Flushing line", and the "A" as the "IND 8th Avenue Express"..

I also still use "BMT Sea Beach Line", "IND Queens Boulevard line"; in Brooklyn, where the "A" runs I still use the old "IND Fulton St. line".

As a kid, I well remember the BMT trains using route numbers, like the IRT; this disappeared with the "Chrystie St. Connection" of 1967; that was when many subway buffs today say that the separate indentities of the IND and the BMT vanished.

When I think of the IRT I think of Lo-V's, kiosks, and SMEE equipment.

With the BMT, I reacall "AB" Standards, Triplexes, and "buzz boxes" at certain stations.

With the IND, I think of the huge, massive, spacious station mezzanines (built in an era long before subway crimes became rampant), and, of course, those hulking, rugged, prewar "Arnine" cars.

(Recall, also, the double fare on the Rockaway line, and the Aqueduct Express?)

Gotta keep the rich history alive, if only in our minds........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 1948, florescent tubes glowing inside modern subway cars was indeed a glimpse into the future.........

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2259

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2646

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2733

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2793

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For obvious reasons, these backlit ad cards always remind me of "BUS-O-RAMA" ads and batwings........ Wink

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?5125

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4981

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I STILL, to this day, get a "warm, cozy" feeling inside when I remember these green-lit subway car signs (here we see the interior of IRT R-22 #7417, snapped back in 1965)

T'was indeed a safer and more saner time, way back then, and a LOT more diversity and variety underground, regarding subway rolling stock! Wink

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3296

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: